• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi More Punjabi Vocabulary SPN! Plants

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Molasses

Gurmukhi ਗੁੜੁ
Modern Punjabi rohri, and n. rab. F;

ਸਉ ਮਣੁ ਹਸਤੀ ਘਿਉ ਗੁੜੁ ਖਾਵੈ ਪੰਜਿ ਸੈ ਦਾਣਾ ਖਾਇ ॥
so man hasathee ghio gurr khaavai panj sai dhaanaa khaae ||
The elephant eats a hundred pounds of ghee and molasses, and five hundred pounds of corn.

Guru Nanak
Ang 1286

280px-Blackstrapmolasses.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Cotton

There are several growing seasons in Punjab because of the subtropical climate. So...with crop rotation, cotton planting takes it turn along with wheat, corn and rice.

This shabad in in raag Aasaa, by Guru Nanak, on Ang 471

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥
salok ma 1 ||
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਦਇਆ ਕਪਾਹ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸੂਤੁ ਜਤੁ ਗੰਢੀ ਸਤੁ ਵਟੁ ॥
dhaeiaa kapaah santhokh sooth jath gandtee sath vatt ||
Make compassion the cotton, contentment the thread, modesty the knot and truth the twist.

ਏਹੁ ਜਨੇਊ ਜੀਅ ਕਾ ਹਈ ਤ ਪਾਡੇ ਘਤੁ ॥
eaehu janaeoo jeea kaa hee th paaddae ghath ||
This is the sacred thread of the soul; if you have it, then go ahead and put it on me.

ਨਾ ਏਹੁ ਤੁਟੈ ਨ ਮਲੁ ਲਗੈ ਨਾ ਏਹੁ ਜਲੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
naa eaehu thuttai naa mal lagai naa eaehu jalai n jaae ||
It does not break, it cannot be soiled by filth, it cannot be burnt, or lost.

ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜੋ ਗਲਿ ਚਲੇ ਪਾਇ ॥
dhhann s maanas naanakaa jo gal chalae paae ||
Blessed are those mortal beings, O Nanak, who wear such a thread around their necks.

ਚਉਕੜਿ ਮੁਲਿ ਅਣਾਇਆ ਬਹਿ ਚਉਕੈ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
choukarr mul anaaeiaa behi choukai paaeiaa ||
You buy the thread for a few shells, and seated in your enclosure, you put it on.

ਸਿਖਾ ਕੰਨਿ ਚੜਾਈਆ ਗੁਰੁ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਥਿਆ ॥
sikhaa kann charraaeeaa gur braahaman thhiaa ||
Whispering instructions into others' ears, the Brahmin becomes a guru.

ਓਹੁ ਮੁਆ ਓਹੁ ਝੜਿ ਪਇਆ ਵੇਤਗਾ ਗਇਆ ॥੧॥
ouhu muaa ouhu jharr paeiaa vaethagaa gaeiaa ||1||
But he dies, and the sacred thread falls away, and the soul departs without it. ||1||

In Gurmukhi

ਕਪਾਹ
kapaah

In Modern Punjabi
n. 1. Sewing cotton. Sut. M; sutar. M; 2. Raw cotton. Kapah. 3. Seeded cotton. Kaah da buta. M; 4. Seedd. Cotton run. F; 5. Cotton seed. Warewan. M; wanewan. M; 6. Cotton stalks after picking. Manchitti. F; 7. Cotton bud. Tinda. M; 8. Cotton flower. Phul.

images

images

images

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sugar cane

ਵੁਠੈ ਹੋਇਐ ਹੋਇ ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਜੀਆ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥
vuthai hoeiai hoe bilaaval jeeaa jugath samaanee ||
When it rains, there is happiness. Water is the key to all life.

ਵੁਠੈ ਅੰਨੁ ਕਮਾਦੁ ਕਪਾਹਾ ਸਭਸੈ ਪੜਦਾ ਹੋਵੈ ॥
vuthai ann kamaadh kapaahaa sabhasai parradhaa hovai ||
When it rains, the corn grows, and the sugar cane, and the cotton, which provides clothing for all.

ਵੁਠੈ ਘਾਹੁ ਚਰਹਿ ਨਿਤਿ ਸੁਰਹੀ ਸਾ ਧਨ ਦਹੀ ਵਿਲੋਵੈ ॥
vuthai ghaahu charehi nith surehee saa dhhan dhehee vilovai ||
When it rains, the cows always have grass to graze upon, and housewives can churn the milk into butter.

ਤਿਤੁ ਘਿਇ ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਸਦ ਪੂਜਾ ਪਇਐ ਕਾਰਜੁ ਸੋਹੈ ॥
thith ghie hom jag sadh poojaa paeiai kaaraj sohai ||
With that ghee, sacred feasts and worship services are performed; all these efforts are blessed.

ਗੁਰੂ ਸਮੁੰਦੁ ਨਦੀ ਸਭਿ ਸਿਖੀ ਨਾਤੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥
guroo samundh nadhee sabh sikhee naathai jith vaddiaaee ||
The Guru is the ocean, and all His Teachings are the river. Bathing within it, glorious greatness is obtained.

ਨਾਨਕ ਜੇ ਸਿਰਖੁਥੇ ਨਾਵਨਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਤਾ ਸਤ ਚਟੇ ਸਿਰਿ ਛਾਈ ॥੧॥
naanak jae sirakhuthhae naavan naahee thaa sath chattae sir shhaaee ||1||
O Nanak, if the shaven-headed ones do not bathe, then seven handfuls of ashes are upon their heads. ||1||

Gurmukhi ਕਮਾਦੁ kamaadh

Modern Punjabi Khand

Sugarcane generally. Kamad. M; ikh. M;

sugarcaneworker.jpg

Harvesting sugar cane on the island of Haitii :cool:

Additional information contributed by forum leader Dalsingh ji

ਕੋਈ ਖੰਡ ਸਵਾਰਦਾ ਮੱਖਣ ਮੱਸਾਲਾ ।
koee khand savaaradaa makhan masaalaa|
Some prepare refined sugar and some adding in it sweet drops make special jaggery.

(Here we have the proper Panjabi word for sugar - ਖੰਡ or khand)

ਹੋਵੈ ਮਿਸਰੀ ਕਲੀਕੰਦ ਮਿਠਿਆਈ ਢਾਲਾ ।
hovai misaree kaleekand mitdiaaee ddhaalaa|
It is moulded into lump sugar and variegated sweets.

(Misree [ਮਿਸਰੀ] are what I thought were giant grains of sugar when I was a child!)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Grapes

This is from the saloka by Sheik Farid on Ang 1379

ਹੇੜਾ ਜਲੈ ਮਜੀਠ ਜਿਉ ਉਪਰਿ ਅੰਗਾਰਾ ॥੨੨॥
haerraa jalai majeeth jio oupar angaaraa ||22||
Now my flesh is burning red on the hot coals. ||22||

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਲੋੜੈ ਦਾਖ ਬਿਜਉਰੀਆਂ ਕਿਕਰਿ ਬੀਜੈ ਜਟੁ ॥
fareedhaa lorrai dhaakh bijoureeaaan kikar beejai jatt ||
Fareed, the farmer plants acacia trees, and wishes for grapes.

ਹੰਢੈ ਉਂਨ ਕਤਾਇਦਾ ਪੈਧਾ ਲੋੜੈ ਪਟੁ ॥੨੩॥
handtai ounan kathaaeidhaa paidhhaa lorrai patt ||23||
He is spinning wool, but he wishes to wear silk. ||23||

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਗਲੀਏ ਚਿਕੜੁ ਦੂਰਿ ਘਰੁ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਨੇਹੁ ॥
fareedhaa galeeeae chikarr dhoor ghar naal piaarae naehu ||
Fareed, the path is muddy, and the house of my Beloved is so far away.

ਚਲਾ ਤ ਭਿਜੈ ਕੰਬਲੀ ਰਹਾਂ ਤ ਤੁਟੈ ਨੇਹੁ ॥੨੪॥
chalaa th bhijai kanbalee rehaan th thuttai naehu ||24||
If I go out, my blanket will get soaked, but if I remain at home, then my heart will be broken. ||24||

ਭਿਜਉ ਸਿਜਉ ਕੰਬਲੀ ਅਲਹ ਵਰਸਉ ਮੇਹੁ ॥
bhijo sijo kanbalee aleh varaso maehu ||
My blanket is soaked, drenched with the downpour of the Lord's Rain.

ਜਾਇ ਮਿਲਾ ਤਿਨਾ ਸਜਣਾ ਤੁਟਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਨੇਹੁ ॥੨੫॥
jaae milaa thinaa sajanaa thutto naahee naehu ||25||
I am going out to meet my Friend, so that my heart will not be broken. ||25||

Gurmukhi ਦਾਖ dhaakh
Modern Punjabi grape n. dakh

grapes.jpg

More information contributed by forum leader Dalsingh ji

The modern word for grapes is AMgUr or angoor. The word dakh that you used in the post sounds very similar to dakhaan, which was the word we use for raisins or sultanas.

Actually Dalsingh ji, is dakhaan or dhakhaan the plural (grapes) and dhak the singular (grape)?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Rice

By Sant Kabir on Ang 479

ਭਾਤੁ ਪਹਿਤਿ ਅਰੁ ਲਾਪਸੀ ਕਰਕਰਾ ਕਾਸਾਰੁ ॥
bhaath pehith ar laapasee karakaraa kaasaar ||
Rice and beans, candies, cakes and cookies

ਭੋਗਨਹਾਰੇ ਭੋਗਿਆ ਇਸੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੇ ਮੁਖ ਛਾਰੁ ॥੪॥
bhoganehaarae bhogiaa eis moorath kae mukh shhaar ||4||
- the priest enjoys these, while he puts ashes into the mouth of the idol. ||4||

ਮਾਲਿਨਿ ਭੂਲੀ ਜਗੁ ਭੁਲਾਨਾ ਹਮ ਭੁਲਾਨੇ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
maalin bhoolee jag bhulaanaa ham bhulaanae naahi ||
The gardener is mistaken, and the world is mistaken, but I am not mistaken.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਹਮ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਖੇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ ॥੫॥੧॥੧੪॥
kahu kabeer ham raam raakhae kirapaa kar har raae ||5||1||14||
Says Kabeer, the Lord preserves me; the Lord, my King, has showered His Blessings upon me. ||5||1||14||

Gurmukhi
ਭਾਤੁ bhaath also cwvl, chaul

Modern Punjabi
n. 1. For cooking chaul. M; 2. Boiled rice. Bhat. M; riddhe hoe chaul. M; rijjh chaul. M;

ceb0520.jpg

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Corn

These verses are by Sant Kabir on Ang 336

ਮਰਕਟ ਮੁਸਟੀ ਅਨਾਜ ਕੀ ਮਨ ਬਉਰਾ ਰੇ ਲੀਨੀ ਹਾਥੁ ਪਸਾਰਿ ॥
marakatt musattee anaaj kee man bouraa rae leenee haathh pasaar ||
The monkey stretches out its hand, O crazy mind, and takes a handful of corn;

ਛੂਟਨ ਕੋ ਸਹਸਾ ਪਰਿਆ ਮਨ ਬਉਰਾ ਰੇ ਨਾਚਿਓ ਘਰ ਘਰ ਬਾਰਿ ॥੨॥
shhoottan ko sehasaa pariaa man bouraa rae naachiou ghar ghar baar ||2||
now unable to escape, O crazy mind, it is made to dance door to door. ||2||

Gurmukhi ਅਨਾਜ anaaj

Modern Punjabi
n. 1. anaj. M; galla. M; dana phakka. M;
Wheat is "kannak," but can be used interchangeably with corn if the context is generally applied to cereal grains.

Forum members, the word "corn" is actually a complex concept in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. There are many other words for "corn." Anaaj is just one. I chose the simplest one for this post. In a few days there will be another post about corn in which different vocabulary words are reported in the context of Gurbani. You will be able to see how sometimes the word is implied through a combination of words that are the context for corn, and not just the word "corn" in and of itself. The word can change depending on the way "corn" is used -- when it is ground into a meal, when it is a husk, when it is lying around, and so forth. Just one little word gives such a big glimpse into the subtlety of Punjabi language and poetry.

070122143110.jpg

images

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Acacia

By Sant Farid on Ang 1379

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਲੋੜੈ ਦਾਖ ਬਿਜਉਰੀਆਂ ਕਿਕਰਿ ਬੀਜੈ ਜਟੁ ॥
fareedhaa lorrai dhaakh bijoureeaaan kikar beejai jatt ||
Fareed, the farmer plants acacia trees, and wishes for grapes.

Gurmukhi ਕਿਕਰਿ kikar

Modern Punjabi n. kikkar. M

acacia-tree-1.gif

acacia-tree-2.gif

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seed

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਤੋਟਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਪੁੰਨ ਕੇਰੀ ॥੩॥
jan naanak har punn beejiaa fir thott n aavai har punn kaeree ||3||
Servant Nanak has planted the Seed of the Lord's Goodness; this Goodness of the Lord shall never be exhausted. ||3||

Gurmukhi ਬੀਜਿਆ beej (also Awid, kx, guTlI, qu^m, dwxw, vIrj )
Modern Punjabi
n. bi. M;

images

More can be done with this topic because there are so many wonderful verses using "seed" in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Wonderful posts Aaad!

Some modern Panjabi words to add:

When I was very very young we would chew the insides of sugarcane to get the juices. We would call them ਗੱਨਾ (gunha).

The modern word for grapes is AMgUr or angoor. The word dakh that you used in the post sounds very similar to dakhaan, which was the word we use for raisins or sultanas.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Wonderful posts Aaad!

Some modern Panjabi words to add:

When I was very very young we would chew the insides of sugarcane to get the juices. We would call them ਗੱਨਾ (gunha).

Dalsingh ji

Thank you for the word for sugarcane. This one was difficult as Guruji uses the generic gurr and the translator had to make a decision about what that probably signified in English. :wah:

Raisins are grapes -- after grapes are sun-dried they become raisins. I will add dakhaan to the section on grapes with a note.

Are you available to look at a short essay I wrote on "cereal" -- which poses some interesting questions about predicaments faced by translators? Punjabi word meanings shift with context -- and to find an English relationship is not always that easy for the best of translators. This one is an interesting problem. ;)

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Here is a really interesting vaar of Bhai Gurdas which uses many words related to products created using sugarcane.

Vaar 2 Pauri 12

ਗੰਨਾ ਕੋਲੂ ਪੀੜੀਐ ਰਸੁ ਦੇ ਦਰਹਾਲਾ ।
gannaa koloo peerheeai rasu day darahaalaa|
Crushed by the crushing machine sugarcane gives juice instantly.

(Note: word ਗੰਨਾ [gunnah] identical to modern)

ਕੋਈ ਕਰੇ ਗੁੜੁ ਭੇਲੀਆਂ ਕੋ ਸਕਰ ਵਾਲਾ ।
koee karay gurhu bhayleeaan ko sakar vaalaa|
Some prepare lumps of jaggery and brown sugar out of it.

(ਗੁੜ [goorh] as I know it is a brown sugary substance, is it mollases? Interestingly the word ਸਕਰ [shakar] is used for sugar. I had thought this was a Europeanised word previousl derived from sugar, but maybe I was wrong, actually Panjabis had sugar a long time before Europeans so sugar may well be derived from the Indian word?)

ਕੋਈ ਖੰਡ ਸਵਾਰਦਾ ਮੱਖਣ ਮੱਸਾਲਾ ।
koee khand savaaradaa makhan masaalaa|
Some prepare refined sugar and some adding in it sweet drops make special jaggery.

(Here we have the proper Panjabi word for sugar - ਖੰਡ or khand)

ਹੋਵੈ ਮਿਸਰੀ ਕਲੀਕੰਦ ਮਿਠਿਆਈ ਢਾਲਾ ।
hovai misaree kaleekand mitdiaaee ddhaalaa|
It is moulded into lump sugar and variegated sweets.

(Misree [ਮਿਸਰੀ] are what I thought were giant grains of sugar when I was a child!)

ਖਾਵੈ ਰਾਜਾ ਰੰਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਰਸ ਭੋਗ ਸੁਖਾਲਾ ।
khaavai raajaa ranku kari ras bhog sukhaalaa|
The poor and the wealthy both eat it with pleasure.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

To the best of my knowledge, sugar as well as "gurr" was developed in Asia first. "Gurr" does mean molasses according to the Punjabi translation engine that I have been using. Sugar is an interesting product. The "gurr" of the Gurus ;) was most likely palm sugar or "jaggery" which is not refined as much as the white sugar we use today. And the refining process is and was then different. So the result is a darker crystal. Even raw sugar from sugar cane is brownish. Jaggery can range in color from a lemony yellow to a light tan. For white sugar from sugar cane the refining is completed in several stages until a white crystal is achieved. Vegans will not eat sugar cane sugar because traditional methods of heating to a very high temperature involve the use of animal bones for charcoal. Jaggery is not refined that way, and therefore the color will not be a crystalline white.

Sorry for the factoids -- it can be annoying -- I know. :)

Thanks, and I will send you the essay.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Castor oil plant

ਆਸਾ ॥
aasaa ||
Aasaa:

ਤੁਮ ਚੰਦਨ ਹਮ ਇਰੰਡ ਬਾਪੁਰੇ ਸੰਗਿ ਤੁਮਾਰੇ ਬਾਸਾ ॥
thum chandhan ham eirandd baapurae sang thumaarae baasaa ||
You are sandalwood, and I am the poor castor oil plant, dwelling close to you.

ਨੀਚ ਰੂਖ ਤੇ ਊਚ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਗੰਧ ਸੁਗੰਧ ਨਿਵਾਸਾ ॥੧॥
neech rookh thae ooch bheae hai gandhh sugandhh nivaasaa ||1||
From a lowly tree, I have become exalted; Your fragrance, Your exquisite fragrance now permeates me. ||1||

ਮਾਧਉ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਰਨਿ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੀ ॥
maadhho sathasangath saran thumhaaree ||
O Lord, I seek the Sanctuary of the company of Your Saints;

Gurmukhi ਇਰੰਡ eirandd alternatively ਹਿਰਡੁ hiradd
No modern Punjabi available at this time

Probably everyone at one time in their life has had the rather unpleasant experience of taking castor oil. Attempting to disguise the disagreeable taste with peppermint or fruit juice often results in a permanent dislike for the flavor enhancer as well as the castor oil. Although it is native to the Ethiopian region of tropical east Africa, the castor bean or castor plant (Ricinus communis) has become naturalized in tropical and warm temperate regions throughout the world, and is becoming an increasingly abundant weed in the southwestern United States. Castor plants are very common along stream banks, river beds, bottom lands, and just about any hot area where the soil is well drained and with sufficient nutrients and moisture to sustain the vigorous growth. Although the seeds or beans are extremely poisonous, they are the source of numerous economically important products and are one of earliest commercial products. Castor beans have been found in ancient Egyptian tombs dating back to 4000 B.C., and the oil was used thousands of years ago in wick lamps for lighting. To many people the castor plant is just an overgrown, undesirable weed, and yet it produces one of nature's finest natural oils. Source Castor Bean Plant

images

The superior "oiliness" of castor oil and its ability to "cling" to very hot moving parts make it an outstanding racing oil for high performance engines. In fact, it is the basic ingredient of Castrol-R racing motor oil for high speed automobile and motorcycle engines. Castor oil is a popular fuel additive for two cycle engines, and imparts a distinctive aroma to the exhaust of these engines. Castor wax, a hard wax produced by the hydrogenation (chemical combination with hydrogen) of pure castor oil, is used in polishes, electrical condensers, carbon paper, and as a solid lubricant.

castor8b.gif
beanoi1a.gif

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Weeds

Taking a different approach to this word, weeds. There are weeds and then there are weeds.

Modern Punjabi for weed

weed n. kadha. M; buti. F; mariri. F; 1. a weed which grows among wheat. Piaji. F; 2. proverb.

And the interesting proverb. Money borrowed on interest is as bad as piaji in a wheat field. Dam biaji, khet piaji;

And in Gurbani there are these references to weeds. The links will take you to the entire shabad.

Page 683 Line 4 Raag Dhanaasree: Guru Arjan Dev

ਨਿੰਦਕ ਟਿਕਨੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਨਿ ਮੂਲੇ ਊਡਿ ਗਏ ਬੇਕਾਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
nindhak ttikan n paavan moolae oodd geae baekaar ||1|| rehaao ||
The slanderers are not allowed to stay; they are pulled out by their roots, like useless
weeds. ||1||Pause||

Page 693 Line 9 Raag Dhanaasree: Saint Nam Dev

ਮਾਰਵਾੜਿ ਜੈਸੇ ਨੀਰੁ ਬਾਲਹਾ ਬੇਲਿ ਬਾਲਹਾ ਕਰਹਲਾ ॥
maaravaarr jaisae neer baalehaa bael baalehaa karehalaa ||
As water is very precious in the desert, and the creeper
weeds are dear to the camel,

But in the two salokas below a very special weed is under discussion. It is the butcafrondosa which is not a weed at all. Though it may have been seen as a useless weed/tree by Kabir.

Page1365 Line 1 Raag Salok: Saint Kabir

ਕਬੀਰ ਚੰਦਨ ਕਾ ਬਿਰਵਾ ਭਲਾ ਬੇੜ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਓ ਢਾਕ ਪਲਾਸ ॥
kabeer chandhan kaa biravaa bhalaa baerrihou dtaak palaas ||
Kabeer, the sandalwood tree is good, even though it is surrounded by weeds.

Page 1370 Line 8 Raag Salok: Saint Kabir

ਜਿਹ ਕੁਲ ਦਾਸੁ ਨ ਊਪਜੈ ਸੋ ਕੁਲ ਢਾਕੁ ਪਲਾਸੁ ॥੧੧੧॥
jih kul dhaas n oopajai so kul dtaak palaas ||111||
But that family in which the Lord's slave is not born is as useless as weeds. ||111|

And here it is: dhaak or palaas - both words are common names for Butea frondosa

Common names: Flame of the Forest, Dhak, Palas, ******* Teak, Parrot Tree, Dhak or Palas (Hindi); Porasum (Tamil) ; Khakda (Gujerati). Origin: India

8278s.jpg

Source of the image TopTropicals.com - rare plants for home and garden

About dtaak or paalas That the flowers contain much nectar is evidenced by the frequent visits of many species of birds; sunbirds, mynahs and babblers are usually to be seen, hurrying from flower to flower, chattering and twittering. With man, also, the tree is very popular, having numerous uses. From an infusion of the flowers a brilliant colouring matter can be obtained, which may be made into water-paint or into a dye. Cotton, prepared with alum, can be dyed a bright yellow or orange.

From the seeds a clear oil is obtained and the gum which exudes from the stems, known as Bengal Kino, is valuable to druggists because of its astringent qualities, and to leather workers because of its tannin. Young roots make a strong fibre which has many uses, the making of rope sandals being one of the most important. Roots, eaten raw, cause giddiness, but, baked, are eaten by Mundari children. The leaves, because of their strength, are sewn together by poor people to make plates and the lovely flowers are popular with all Indian women for adornment of their hair.

The Palas is sacred to the moon and is said to have sprung from the feather of a falcon impregnated with the Soma, the beverage of the Gods, and thus immortalised. It is used in Hindu cremonies for the blessing of calves to ensure their becoming good milkers. When a Brahmin boy becomes a Sadhu, his head is shaved and he is given a Palas leaf to eat—the trifoliate formation representing Vishnu in the middle, Brahma on the left and Shiva on the right. Source is link above.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM