• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial More Charges Laid In Brampton Sikh Temple Fight

Do you think the Guilty should be awarded strict punishments?

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I support such violence!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
More charges laid in Brampton Sikh temple fight

More charges laid in Brampton Sikh temple fight - thestar.com

Published On Thu Apr 22 2010
Two more Brampton men have been charged following a fight between two groups inside a Sikh temple Sunday afternoon that sent four people to hospital.

Peel Region police say the fight broke out at Guru Nanak Sikh Centre at Glidden Rd. near Hwy. 410 and Steeles Ave.

Investigators say weapons were used that left four men, between 33 to 46 years old, in hospital with various injuries but witnesses reported turbans flew, and hammers, machetes and construction knives were brandished as about 200 people were screaming, pushing and shoving inside the temple.

Const. Wayne Patterson said officers were aware of a “civil dispute” between the two groups and officers met with the temple officials and decided police should be on hand during the Sunday meeting.

“We were told to monitor and we should not be involved so officers were right outside the temple,” Patterson said.

Police charged Amarjit Singh Mann, 58, and Surjit Singh Atwal, 54, with possession of a weapon and assault with a weapon. Mann also faces two assault causing bodily harm charges. Both men turned themselves in to police and appeared in Brampton court Thursday.

Days earlier following initial investigation, Harvinder Pal Dhaliwal, 41, was charged with assault and Tehal Shergill, 60, and Satwant Deol, 25, were charged with assault and weapons offences.

Patterson said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges are a possibility.

“Just because we’re arrested five people, it doesn’t mean we’re stopping here. If these groups don’t behave and act like adults and continue to commit criminal acts, there will be more arrests,” he said.

“We had people go to hospital and this is solving nothing. And now that we’ve had incidents where violence has erupted, we’ll have to monitor these meetings in the future.”

The fight was two weeks after Manjit Mangat, a prominent Brampton lawyer, was stabbed outside the Sikh Lehar Centre, a Sikh temple close to Guru Nanak Sikh Centre.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
These all criminals should be behind the bars for a long time till they understand the gravity of their crimes and learn from this punishment.

What happened to the Akal Takhat and the SGPC? They were quick to ban tables and chairs in the Gurdwaras outside India and talk against gay marriage in Canada but now when their voices are needed the most, they are sitting quietly. Their silence is deafening to say the least and it is shamefully disgraceful.

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Police charged Amarjit Singh Mann, 58, and Surjit Singh Atwal, 54, with possession of a weapon and assault with a weapon. Mann also faces two assault causing bodily harm charges. Both men turned themselves in to police and appeared in Brampton court Thursday.

These two, if guilty, should hang their heads in shame. It's hard to criticise our youth for being violent when this is the example set them by their elders.

Of course, 58 isn't old and 54 is still quite young, but anyone in his 50s should know better.:omggg:

Sep 27, 2008
England
I can just imagine how terrifying it must have been for the women and children at the Temple, this is just not right at all, how are we to gain any respect from people when our people even elders behave in this appalling manner, all those years it takes to gain some respect and Laws on our behalf only to see this. I hope to see further agreements or disagreements done in a Civil manner.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Another moderation note.

I am not sure who the author of the poll might be. So if you are reading my comments. To the person who started the poll... would you consider rewording the questions? Send me a private message so I can help you with this and explain my reasons for asking the question. Thank you.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: