• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Moorakh/ਮੂਰਖ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
MOORAKH/ਮੂਰਖ

ABSTRACT

This word appears in Sabd Guru many times. It is used to define a spiritualy ignorant individual. It does not mean that such a person is a bad. He/she may be well read but does not subdue his lower instincts of greed and ego to follow the path of spirituality. Sikh Gurus have called themselves Moorakh at times as will be evident in some of their writings mentioned below. Mahan Kosh describes it as Foolish, stupid, silly, block head, idiotic, unwise, dunce, ignorant- ਬੇਵਕੂਫ, ਬੇਸਮਝ, ਬੁਧੂ, ਬੁਧੀ ਰਹਿਤ, ਮੂਰਖਤਾ.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The spiritual ignorance referred to here is not the lack of information but a deep seated misperception of reality. Divine Knowledge is the awareness and understanding of facts, truths or information gained in the form of learning. The purpose of Divine knowledge is to find the Truth and develop inner cleanliness by subjugating animal instincts and developing godly instincts or virtues.
Sikh Gurus have called themselves Moorakh or spiritually ignorant;

ਜੋ ਤੂ ਦੇਹਿ ਸੁ ਕਹਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕਹਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਾ ਦੇਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥

Jo ṯū ḏeh so kahā su¬āmī mai mūrakẖ kahaṇ na jā¬ī, Ŧėrė guṇ gāvā ḏeh bujẖā¬ī.

As You permit me, I praise You, O Akal Purkh and Master; I am ignorant, and I cannot chant Your Praises. Please bless me with such understanding, that I may sing Your Glorious Praises. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 795-4

ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਬਹੁਤੇ ਮੈ ਏਕੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕਿਛੁ ਦੀਜੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਣਿ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਾਹਿਬਾ ਡੁਬਦਾ ਪਥਰੁ ਲੀਜੈ ॥

Ŧėrė guṇ bahuṯė mai ėk na jāṇi¬ā mai mūrakẖ kicẖẖ ḏījai, Paraṇvaṯ Nānak suṇ mėrė sāhibā dubḏā pathar lījai.

Your Glories are so numerous, and I do not know even one of them; Please, give the ignorant me some of them! Prays Nanak, listen, O my Master, please, save the sinking stone. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 596-16 & 17

ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਮੁਗਧ ਊਪਰਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਦਇਆ ॥ ਤਉ ਸਰਣਾਗਤਿ ਰਹਉ ਪਇਆ ॥

Mai mūrakẖ mugaḏẖ ūpar karahu ḏa¬i¬ā, Ŧa¬o sarṇāgaṯ raha¬o pa¬i¬ā.

I am foolish and ignorant, O Akal Purkh; please be merciful to me. Let me remain in Your Sanctuary? -----Guru Amardas, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1170-15& 16

ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ਬਿਭੂਤ ਲਾਇ ਦੇਹ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਤਿਆਗੁ ਕਰੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਹਰਿ ਆਸ ਤੁਮਾਰੀ ॥

Sani¬āsī bibẖūṯ lā¬ė ḏėh savārī, Par ṯari¬a ṯi¬āg karī barahamcẖārī. Mai mūrakẖ har ās ṯumārī.

The Sannyaasee smears his body with ashes; renouncing other men's women, by practicing celibacy. I am just a fool, God, but place my hopes in You!
-----Guru Ramdas, Raag Gauri Guarary, AGGS, Page, 164-1

ਦੀਨ ਦਇਆਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਸਰਬ ਘਟਾ ਭਰਪੂਰੀ ਰੇ॥ਪੇਖਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਦਾ ਹੈ ਸੰਗੇ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਦੂਰੀ ਰੇ ॥

Ḏīn ḏa¬i¬āl kirpāl sukẖ sāgar sarab gẖatā bẖarpūrī rė. Pėkẖaṯ sunaṯ saḏā hai sangė mai mūrakẖ jāni¬ā ḏūrī rė.

The Compassionate Akal Purkh is Merciful to the meek, and is the ocean of peace. It fills all hearts, sees, hears, and is always with me. But me the ignorant think that God is far away. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 612-8

Guru Nanak in Raag Maajh describes Moorakh as arrogant and egocentric;

ਪੜਿਆ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਾਉ ਪੜੀਐ ਨਾਉ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ॥

Paṛi¬ā mūrakẖ ākẖī¬ai jis lab lobẖ ahaʼnkārā, Nā¬o paṛī¬ai nā¬o bujẖī¬ai gurmaṯī vīcẖārā.

That scholar who is full of greed, arrogant pride and egotism, is known to be a fool. So meditate on the Name, realize it, and contemplate on the Guru's Teachings.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 140-15

In Japji Guru Nanak indicates that there are plenty of spiritually ignorant persons in this world;

ਅਸੰਖ ਮੂਰਖ ਅੰਧ ਘੋਰ ॥ ਅਸੰਖ ਚੋਰ ਹਰਾਮਖੋਰ ॥

Asaʼnkẖ mūrakẖ anḏẖ gẖor, Asaʼnkẖ cẖor harāmkẖor.

There are countless fools, blinded by ignorance. Countless too are thieves and embezzlers. -----Guru Nanak, Japji, AGGS, Page, 4-3

Guru Nanak does not want to call a Moorakh bad but does not hesitate to call him a fool in Asa Di Var.

ਮੰਦਾ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਆਖੀਐ ਪੜਿ ਅਖਰੁ ਏਹੋ ਬੁਝੀਐ ॥ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥

Mandaa Kisai Na Aakheyaa Parh Akhar Eho Bujheyaa, Moorkhai Naal Na Lujhee-aa.

Do not call anyone bad. Read these words, and understand! Don't argue with ignorant of spirituality. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 473-13

This Sabd of Kabir in Raag Gond again ponders on similar personalities;

ਸੰਤੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਕਿਛੁ ਸੁਨੀਐ ਕਹੀਐ ॥ਮਿਲੈ ਅਸੰਤੁ ਮਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਰਹੀਐ ॥ਬਾਬਾ ਬੋਲਨਾ ਕਿਆ ਕਹੀਐ ॥ਜੈਸੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਰਵਿ ਰਹੀਐ ॥ ਸੰਤਨ ਸਿਉ ਬੋਲੇ ਉਪਕਾਰੀ ॥ਮੂਰਖ ਸਿਉ ਬੋਲੇ ਝਖ ਮਾਰੀ ॥ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬਢਹਿ ਬਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ਬਿਨੁ ਬੋਲੇ ਕਿਆ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਛੂਛਾ ਘਟੁ ਬੋਲੈ ॥ਭਰਿਆ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਕਬਹੁ ਨ ਡੋਲੈ ॥

Sanṯ milai kicẖẖ sunī¬ai kahī¬ai, Milai asanṯ masat kar rahī¬ai, Bābā bolnā ki¬ā kahī¬ai, Jaisė rām nām rav rahī¬ai, Sanṯan si¬o bolė upkārī, Mūrakẖ si¬o bolė jẖakẖ mārī, Bolaṯ bolaṯ badẖeh bikārā, Bin bolė ki¬ā karahi bīcẖārā, Kaho Kabīr cẖẖūcẖẖā gẖat bolai, Bẖari¬ā ho¬ė so kabahu na dolai.

When you meet a Saint, talk to him and listen. Meeting with an unsaintly person, just remain silent. O father, if I speak what words should I utter? Speak such words, by which you may remain absorbed in the Name of the God. Speaking with the Saints, one becomes benevolent. To speak with a fool is to babble uselessly. By speaking and only speaking, corruption only increases. If I do not speak, what can the poor wretch do? Says Kabir, the empty pitcher makes noise, but that which is full makes no sound. -----Kabir, Raag Gond, AGGS, Page, 870

Guru Nanak again points to the Ego of such a person in Raag Asa:

ਊਚੇ ਕੂਕਹਿ ਵਾਦਾ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਜੋਧਾ ਕਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਮੂਰਖ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਸੰਜੈ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥

Ūcẖė kūkeh vāḏā gāvahi joḏẖā kā vīcẖār, Mūrakẖ pandiṯ hikmaṯ hujaṯ sanjai karahi pi¬ār.

They shout out loud, and sing epic poems and heroic stories. The ignorant call themselves spiritual scholars, but by their clever tricks, they love to gather wealth.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 469-2

ਏਹੁ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੁ ਹੈ ਜੇਤਾ ਹੈ ਆਕਾਰੁ ॥ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹੁ ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਸੋ ਹੋਆ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਆਪੁ ਗਣਾਇਦਾ ਸੋ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਗਾਵਾਰੁ ॥
Ėhu sabẖ kicẖẖ āvaṇ jāṇ hai jeṯā hai ākār. Jin ehu lekẖā likẖi▫ā so ho▫ā parvāṇ.Nānak je ko āp gaṇā▫iḏā so mūrakẖ gāvār.

All the things of the world come and go. One who knows this that the written account is acceptable and is approved? O Nanak, anyone who takes pride in himself is ignorant and unwise. -----Guru Amardas, Gujri Ki Var, AGGS, Page, 516-18

ਮਹਲੁ ਕੁਮਹਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਨੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਅਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਇ ॥ ਸਬਦੁ ਚੀਨਹਿ ਤਾ ਮਹਲੁ ਲਹਹਿ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

Mahal kumhal na jāṇnī mūrakẖ apṇai su¬ā¬ė, Sabḏ cẖīneh ṯā mahallaheh joṯī joṯ samā¬ė.

The fools do not know the difference between good and bad; they are deceived by their self-interests. But if they contemplate the Word of the Sabd, they obtain the Mansion of the God's Presence, and their light merges in the Light. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Sorth Var, Page, 649-9 & 10

ਮੂਰਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਸੁਣੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕਾ ਕਹਣਾ ॥ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੇ ਕਿਆ ਲਖਣ ਹੈ ਕਿਆ ਮੂਰਖ ਕਾ ਕਰਣਾ ॥ਮੂਰਖੁ ਓਹੁ ਜਿ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਹੈ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੇ ਮਰਣਾ ॥ਏਤੁ ਕਮਾਣੈ ਸਦਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੁਖ ਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਰਹਣਾ ॥

Mūrakẖ hovai so suṇai mūrakẖ kā kahṇā, Mūrakẖ kė ki¬ā lakẖaṇ hai ki¬ā mūrakẖ kā karṇā, Mūrakẖ oh je mugaḏẖ hai ahaʼnkārė marṇā, Ėṯ kamāṇai saḏā ḏukẖ ḏukẖ hī meh rahṇā.

Only a fool listens to the words of the fool. What are the signs of the fool? What does the fool do? A fool is stupid; he dies of egotism. His actions always bring him pain; he lives in pain. -----Guru Amardas, Ramkali Ki Var, Page, 953-9, 10 & 11

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਵਾਪਾਰੈ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਣਨੀ ਬਿਖੁ ਵਿਹਾਝਹਿ ਬਿਖੁ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਹਹਿ ਬਿਖ ਸਿਉ ਧਰਹਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਸਦਾਇਦੇ ਮਨਹੁ ਮੂਰਖ ਗਾਵਾਰ ॥ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਨ ਲਾਇਨੀ ਵਾਦੀ ਧਰਨਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥ਵਾਦਾ ਕੀਆ ਕਰਨਿ ਕਹਾਣੀਆ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਆਹਾਰੁ ॥ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਹੋਰੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਸਭੁ ਆਕਾਰੁ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਨੀ ਹੋਇ ਮੈਲੇ ਮਰਹਿ ਗਵਾਰ ॥

Manmukẖ vāpārai sār na jāṇnī bikẖ vihājẖeh bikẖ sangar¬hahi bikẖ si¬o ḏẖareh pi¬ār, Bāhrahu pandiṯ saḏā¬iḏė manhu mūrakẖ gāvār, Har si¬o cẖiṯ na lā¬inī vāḏī ḏẖaran pi¬ār, vāḏā kī¬ā karan kahāṇī¬ā kūṛ bol karahi āhār, Jag meh rām nām har nirmalā hor mailā sabẖ ākār, Nānak nām na cẖėṯnī ho¬ė mailė mareh gavār.

The self-willed does not appreciate the excellence of trading in Truth. He deals in poison, collects poison, and is in love with poison. Outwardly, they call themselves Pundits, religious scholar. But in their minds they are foolish and ignorant. They do not focus their consciousness on the Akal Purkh; they love to engage in arguments. They speak to cause arguments, and earn their living by telling lies. In this world, only the God's Name is immaculate and pure. All other objects of creation are polluted. O Nanak, those who do not remember Its Naam is polluted. They die in ignorance.
-----Guru Amardas, Raag, AGGS, Page, 1091

ਮਸਟਿ ਕਰਉ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਜਗਿ ਕਹੀਆ ॥ ਅਧਿਕ ਬਕਉ ਤੇਰੀ ਲਿਵ ਰਹੀਆ ॥

Masat kara¬o mūrakẖ jag kahī¬ā., Aḏẖik baka¬o ṯėrī liv rahī¬ā.

If I remain silent, the world calls me a fool. If I talk too much, I miss out on Your Love.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1330-15

Conclusion:

Spiritual ignorance is a very serious matter. It is said that "What you don't know won't hurt you". We all know that is incorrect and yet it seems that many people have adopted that philosophy toward spiritual matters. "Many people are destroyed for lack of spiritual knowledge". It is not merely the lack of knowledge, but self-destructive turning away from truth in all areas of life and to be ignorant of one's ignorance that is the malady of the ignorant. People practice their faith differently than what is written in their holy scriptures due to spiritual ignorance.

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM