• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Modern Telephone Manners

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
Something has been bugging me of late and I would very much like to share it. If my rant has no place here, I won't be upset if admins remove it, but I'd like to get it off my chest.

Has telephone etiquette gone the way of the Dodo Bird & the Dinosaur? This is something I’ve noticed being neglected more and more over the years. Scenario: Phone call. Names edited for privacy.
Phone rings, I answer, “Hello?”
Caller: “Is this [insert name]?”
Me: “Who’s calling, please?” (I believe that to be legitimate considering they are calling my #)
Caller again, “Is this [insert name]?”
Me: “Who is THIS?” (Now becoming a bit annoyed)
Caller: “This is [insert name]!” (Getting more rude)
Me: “How can I help you?” (Wondering who this person is… I don’t know them from Adam!)
Caller: “Is this [insert name]?” (ok, maybe I should have at least answered her question, but they are on MY dime and I am more than just a little bit annoyed)
Me: “Yes, what can I do for you?”
Caller: “I am calling to let you know your grill is ready for pickup from Walmart!” (Obviously very annoyed with me at this point)
By now, I am ready to say, “Why didn’t you just address yourself and this ordeal would’ve been averted.” But I simply say, “Thank you, I will be there to pick it up, is tomorrow ok?”
Caller: Curtly says, “Yes, of course, that will be fine.”
Me: “Thank you.”

Now, some will say that it could have been minimized had I simply given the information that was asked for. The point is respect and etiquette. Two virtues lost in today’s society.

My folks taught me to address myself when calling someone. It’s especially professional to address yourself and your company’s name when someone picks up on the other end. Is that so much to ask for?? They are calling on your phone which you pay for. I find it rude and inconsiderate for people to be so presumptuous as to expect to have their requests satisfied without the courtesy of giving the person on the other end the benefit of knowing who you are and at least the business you are calling from.
Some may argue this is to protect the person whom they are calling their privacy. Perhaps, but courtesy dictates that you address yourself and state your business. At the very least, the caller should be courteous enough to then state who they are and if they’re calling regarding a business matter, state the company name.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jhelmick ji

I think we should leave it. A very good issue imho. Only 4 days ago I answered the phone, and was told to hold the line. The next voice said, Hi, This is you Captain speaking! :whatzpointkudi: You have won 2 cruise tickets, blah blah! And the first voice was a real person. She knew what was coming next.

Not only is telephone etiquette in the drain. Internet etiquette has been light on manners since the birth of the world wide web. Some blame that on invisibility of participants. i blame it on the general down-turn in civility in society at large, a growing sense of entitlement, the belief that "to express myself" is a sacred right, and a compounding inability for individuals to take responsibility for the effects of their speech.

Bet you didn't think I would go no that rant, did you? :noticekudi:

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
Spnadmin ji,

Actually, I'm glad you responded with that. I could not agree with you more! :D

The bottom line is, my phone is not for anyone's amusement or profit. You call me, have the respect to identify yourself. I hang up when I'm told to hold immediately after answering. Although my # is on the "National Do Not Call List," it doesn't stop solicitors.

BTW, ignore my E-mail... it worked itself out, obviously. :)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
At my work we're not allowed to identify ourselves if we don't know who we're speaking to because I work in health and we have to be very sensitive about the information we give to anyone -- some of our clients keep their condition secret from family members so we can't go saying "Hi my name is suchandsuch calling from BLAH can I speak to soandso" because the person on the other end might get very worried if they're not the client! Makes leaving messages very hard.

However, I don't work for Walmart, I'm pretty sure it would be OK to say where you're from. Unless they're worried about fake people collecting another person's order?

I had the bank call me not long ago to report fraud activity on my credit card. I was scared, said "oh okay" and hung up on the poor sod. Then called my bank direct to ask if it was legit and it WAS! I felt bad hanging up on the guy. At least I didn't abuse him or anything, maybe he thought my phone just cut out or something. If it ever happens again I'd better be polite and say "thank you but I've been told not to give out sensitive information when someone calls me, I'll call the bank direct." Then again, I don't want to be polite to someone trying to steal my pennies... :angryyoungkaur:

jhelmick

SPNer
Mar 1, 2011
Tacoma WA
At my work we're not allowed to identify ourselves if we don't know who we're speaking to because I work in health and we have to be very sensitive about the information we give to anyone -- some of our clients keep their condition secret from family members so we can't go saying "Hi my name is suchandsuch calling from BLAH can I speak to soandso" because the person on the other end might get very worried if they're not the client! Makes leaving messages very hard.

I agree, there are times that discretion needs to be considered. However, there are still ways to be professional.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM