• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hard Talk Miracles, Dukh Bhanjani Sahib Paath And Sikhism

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Why create a fuss over it ? Dukh Bhanjani sahib is just a collection of baanis from SGGS , various shabads relating to mercy of god in curing our ailments, physical , mental and spiritual .

because not everyone believes that this is the case, yes, embracing the bani will always help, but believing in miracles is to upset the very fabric of life, not all Sikhs believe this, if you do, that is wonderful, but a balanced view is always good for the reader.

Its just baani . Lets not forget that it is human tendency we only go to guru most of the times when we're sad or in pain "dukh" .

Again, do not speak for the whole of humanity, in the face of death some 16 times, I have never once asked for the Gurus help, at that point, it is too late, I did not do what you asked of me, so I have got myself in a situation facing death, any chance of upsetting the laws of physics and medicine to give me a hand? I promise next time I really will do the right stuff and not get myself in this situation again!

So , sometimes people start doing paath of baani to gain confidence and hope in god .

Again, I understand this, but it is not for everyone.

Dukh Bhanjani sahib unlike other baanis (anand, sukhmani , etc) is not named so in SGGS. but if u take a dukh bhanjani sahib pothi , you will see theme of all shabads is same : mercy of god , power of prayer, and relief ! .

I see something different, faith in the naam, make your actions consistent with such, take the consequences like a man and with full acceptance. Acceptance is pretty big in Sikhism in my view, a good Sikh does not beg, even the supreme, for anything, it is taken on the chin.

"Whosoever afflicted with a disease , either a gursikh or any believer in Guru Nanak , should wake up at amritvela and after nitnem do this paath for 40 days . If not possible to do paath, he should get it listened to. Having faith in Guru Nanak , I guarantee it will help you"

Well, again, in my opinion, it is statements like this that ensure Sikhism remains a religion of superstition rather than pragmatism. But again, if it works for you I have complete respect for that, and wish you well.

Anyways, on a related note, there's the old desi habit of vowing of 40 days paath.
Some people call it karm -kaand , I say it takes 40 days to built a habit .

now that I agree with, I think habit building is a good constructive path, provided one can see it for embracing rather than blind repetition to achieve a personal agenda.

Lol , ask someone who wakes up at 8 in the morning to wake up at 4 am for 40 continuous days for sukhmani sahib. Easier said than done !

but should it be like that? why should it be easier said than done, it should be the easiest thing in the world if the love is there, surely?

The saakhi is of Bibi Rajni , a pious and believing woman who was married off to a leper by her angry father , because he thought she was an ungrateful wretch .
She accepted her fate .

but not her husbands?

Long story cut short , her crippled leper husband saw a black crow take a dip in amrit sarovar (harmandir sahib was not present back then) and come out as white. He took a dip and got cured . It was a beautiful small lake surrounded by beautiful forest .

do you not think this story focuses more on blind faith rather than learning, which is the true goal of a Sikh? how many millions of cripples currently wither away having tried this, only to then face the fact that not only are they crippled, but their god does not love them enough to do the same, that their faith is not strong enough, that such miracles do exist, but not for them, is quite a heavy cross to bear given an already existing physical affliction, the added mental torture is unfair and should not be there, it is for those I think I write this as I do.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
do you not think this story focuses more on blind faith rather than learning, which is the true goal of a Sikh?
..isn't that proselytising by association, sir ? what to you is blind faith, is in fact to millions, the word of the guru "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ, meaning, crows that dived into the amrit pool came out as white doves (swans)]. Surely you're not suggesting we should question the wisdom of our guru, are you ? If so, we'd have to change SPN to WPN, removing the Sikh and replacing it with 'Which Philosophy Net'. That way, both the letter and the spirit of the word of Guru Ramdas is saved.

Goodnight

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
"ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ, meaning, crows that dived into the amrit pool came out as white doves (swans)].

Seriously? Do you think Guru sahib is literally talking about some Amrit Sarovar? :emoji_astonished: Even the most literal of literal translators have made a much better attempt than yours.

Surely you're not suggesting we should question the wisdom of our guru, are you ?

Do not even try to put words into my mouth. :emoji_thumbsdown:

If so, we'd have to change SPN to WPN, removing the Sikh and replacing it with 'Which Philosophy Net'. That way, both the letter and the spirit of the word of Guru Ramdas is saved.

Sir, nobody can beat you in posting gibberish. Well done! :emoji_clap::emoji_clap::emoji_clap:

Why create a fuss over it?

Dukh Bhanjani sahib unlike other baanis (anand, sukhmani , etc) is not named so in SGGS. but if u take a dukh bhanjani sahib pothi , you will see theme of all shabads is same : mercy of god , power of prayer, and relief ! .

Its shocking how all this manipulation of baani has been genetically engineered in our genes... Don't you think all Bani is Dukh Bhanjani?

Aptly put on topic, by one of earlier members:

This whole concept of Dukhbhanjani Sahib is not at all as per Sikhi or SGGS ji. This collection was compiled by various Babas and Deradars from SGGS ji in colision with some greedy publishers, just to make a fool of the innocent Sikhs who were coming to all these Baba jees for their 'Dukhs' or problems. Any shabad which had just a minor reference to any particular problem , were put in this collection. Then they were advised to do so much so number of paths of this shabad from this collection or the whole lot even and miracles will happen and your problem is going to be over or solved.

It has been clearly established from our various discussions on this forum that parroting of any particular word or Bani or Shabad is not going to give us the desired results.. But, we can minimise our sorrows or problems only by following the dictates of our Gurus in true letter and spirit, as described in SGGS ji.

"Whosoever afflicted with a disease , either a gursikh or any believer in Guru Nanak , should wake up at amritvela and after nitnem do this paath for 40 days . If not possible to do paath, he should get it listened to. Having faith in Guru Nanak , I guarantee it will help you"

A big assertion I must say of the publisher , but he just shows his faith in god.

Again, either we don't want to look beyond this blatant sugar coating or we are part of the conspiracy... All this is nothing but Snake oil salesmanship in the name of Sikhi. It is a shame how easily the Sikhs and/or non-Sikhs are lured in this trap net by the so called practitioners of Sikhi...

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
because not everyone believes that this is the case, yes, embracing the bani will always help, but believing in miracles is to upset the very fabric of life, not all Sikhs believe this, if you do, that is wonderful, but a balanced view is always good for the reader.

We are afraid to believe in miracles lest it doesn't happen to us !
if it doesn't happen, it "upsets the fabric of life" . So better yet, let us not even ask for a miracle.

Again, do not speak for the whole of humanity, in the face of death some 16 times, I have never once asked for the Gurus help, at that point, it is too late, I did not do what you asked of me, so I have got myself in a situation facing death, any chance of upsetting the laws of physics and medicine to give me a hand? I promise next time I really will do the right stuff and not get myself in this situation again!

Great ! but let me ask you why didn't you call out to god ? Don't you call out to your dad when you feel sad or need something or when you just want an ear ?
You have in the past given analogies of why would god help a perfectly healthy , young man with his parents over say an old woman upstairs with broken knees ?
I say why can't god help both me and her ? God is not a person lol.
His potency is not limited like ours.
Gurbani says again and again that god nurtures the whole of creation

Again, I understand this, but it is not for everyone.

and thats ok .

I see something different, faith in the naam, make your actions consistent with such, take the consequences like a man and with full acceptance. Acceptance is pretty big in Sikhism in my view, a good Sikh does not beg, even the supreme, for anything, it is taken on the chin.

this is also a part of sikhi . Sikhi truly is not a miracle-based religion . You're right but all I am saying we should not feel weak or follied to ask for god's help.

Well, again, in my opinion, it is statements like this that ensure Sikhism remains a religion of superstition rather than pragmatism. But again, if it works for you I have complete respect for that, and wish you well.

or maybe its just faith in the baani ?

but should it be like that? why should it be easier said than done, it should be the easiest thing in the world if the love is there, surely?

ideally, but things are not ideal. Its hard to wake up even when you want to . We're in a constant tug-of-war and you know it.

but not her husbands?

do you not think this story focuses more on blind faith rather than learning, which is the true goal of a Sikh? how many millions of cripples currently wither away having tried this, only to then face the fact that not only are they crippled, but their god does not love them enough to do the same, that their faith is not strong enough, that such miracles do exist, but not for them, is quite a heavy cross to bear given an already existing physical affliction, the added mental torture is unfair and should not be there, it is for those I think I write this as I do.

Bibi Rajni's story is not an ordinary one .

She was not thrown in affliction , she could have very easily avoided that tough path , she chose it because she was obedient to her father, and later to her leper crippled husband whom she would carry by dragging in a small wheeled-cart.

The story goes something like this , briefly :

Duni Chand was rich tax collector of town of patti in Punjab . He had six or so daughters and he was desperately praying for a son. He promised god that he would build big temples if his wish was granted. But it didn't happen . Seventh daughter was born (Rajni) .
He became an angry denier of god .
Bibi Rajni in her childhood heard baani from some gursikhs and instantly "believed" in it, as it is !, without a shred of doubt . Something most of us (including me) struggle to do , lol !

Growing up, the girls reach marriageable age, one day all 7 sisters are being merry , their father comes in and seeing his daughters jolly , asks them : "Tell me, my princesses, who is it that feeds you, gives you silk to wear and good to eat , and ornaments and comforts that you ravish in ?"
All 6 girls, except rajni showered heaps of praises on their father and confirmed to his ego that he was sole provider of whatever they had.
Rajni however was silent , in thoughts .

Her father asked her why she was silent and didn't thank him for the riches.
Bibi Rajni told her father that while she was thankful to him and grateful , but she cannot call her father the "provider" as the "provider" is someone else and that he was merely an instrument.

The father felt a loss to his ego and a betrayal from his daughter , her angry father in a fit of rage ordered she be married to a crippled , leper beggar , a gone case who could never heal ! and then he would see how her "provider" god would help her live a noble life.

The point worth noting here is , She could have easily avoided this dire punishment by recanting her views ! and praising heaps on her father like her sisters did and could have easily married a handsome prince and lead a luxurious life . Her mother and sisters did intercede in her behalf but she wouldn't recant , leading to further angry his father.

BUT ... her conscience didn't permit to call her father a provider. She was truly a believer ! How could she have attributed her riches to anyone except the one who gave her, her lord !?
But her father didn't see it so .

Bibi Rajni was not given any gold, any ornaments, any clothes or even a hut to start her "married life" by her father . She was condemned by her father to live a life of indignity, poverty and outcaste. Back then , lepers were considered worse than lowest of castes.

She accepted her fate as "bhaana" (yes , something so tough for us to do) and continuously served and tended to her husband , begging for food from nearby villages.

She might not have expected any miracle , but she sure believed unwaveringly that her god , in whose name alone she had rejected her noble life , would intercede.

God alone knows for how many years, she must have lived in hardships like these .

But one such ordinary day, she came near a small lake, surrounded by a beautiful forest , she kept her husband there and went to nearby village to bring some food.
Her husband saw a crow dip in amrit sarovar and become pure white.
He also took a dip and became healthy and young.

Meanwhile, her father, the rich tax-collector became a beggar of sorts and spent the last years of her life with her .
Bibi Rajni was blessed with 7 sons, eldest named "Gurmukh" by Guru Ramdas ji himself.

Again , I ask , how many of us have so much of faith ?
would we jump off a cliff believing god will save us ?
can we be so obedient to our parents to marry anyone , forget a leper, if they told us to ?
how hard to find a bibi today who would stand up to her husband in times of despair and utter misery ?

As one quote goes
"Extra-ordinary assertion requires extra-ordinary evidence", I would also add

"Extra-ordinary miracles require extra-ordinary amount of faith".

Bibi Rajni left her riches , her palace , when she could have easily recanted her views and asked forgiveness from her father. You think her father wouldn't have forgiven her ?
but Bibi Rajni really believed in the potency of god .

If he could provide her through her father, he could provide her without her father as well !

The one who could provide nourishment to a tiny creature in stone , why then couldn't he provide for her ?
do we have so much of unwavering faith in god's love for us ?

Rajni's faith , determination , sincerity and obedience forced god to do what happened .
What greatness would be of god if he couldn't help her who treaded the thorny path with what ? nothing except faith in him.
We can only pray that we have as much faith as she did .

To Bibi Inderjit Kaur,

penji , sorry for diverting the topic. Sorry if any of my post have unintentionally hurted you.
I really will do ardas for you . We hope baani provides comfort to you :)
and that you get well , we pray . And we hope saakhi of Bibi Rajni provides you with even more faith in waheguru ji :)
*Hugs*

Whole of SGGS is dukh bhanjani sahib . Aptly put
But when you have prominent ragis singing Dukh Bhanjani sahib, then what are we gonna do ?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Great ! but let me ask you why didn't you call out to god ?

I consider it personally blasphemous, if it is the will of God that I strike a tree at 100mph, whilst frankie goes to hollywood plays very loud, and the rain lashes the road, because a lorry pulls out in front of me, then who am I to ask for help when I put myself in that stupid situation? As it happened, the tyre clipped the kerb, and I ended up hitting it side on, not head on, I walked out unscathed, and went for a burger.

..isn't that proselytising by association, sir ?

I have made it quite clear many times these are my own personal opinions and that others are free to do as they see fit, I cannot see any proselytising myself, if there is, please point it out to me.

what to you is blind faith, is in fact to millions, the word of the guru "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ, meaning, crows that dived into the amrit pool came out as white doves (swans)]

I am surprised at this, because you are intelligent man, and the above insults both our intelligence, I can provide you with many quotes from the word of our Guru, that if taken literally, have no reflection on the true meaning of the word. If you are seriously telling me that the above means to you that crows really did dive into Amrit and came out as white doves, then first I would question what is wrong with crows? they are the creation of god, why are doves better? What have you got against crows?
Surely it means that those that immerse themself in naam, lose the blackness of maya, and embrace the whiteness of peace and connection.
Surely you're not suggesting we should question the wisdom of our guru, are you ?
No I am suggesting we question the wisdom of anyone that takes one line quotes and then uses them for their own agenda, however, it is your opinion, and I respect that, and your beliefs, it is interesting to note that you make the above the wisdom of the Guru, but it isn't, it is an english translation taken out of context, to back up your wisdom. It is your wisdom I am questioning.

let us look at the shabad in question

ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ

गूजरी महला ४ ॥

Gūjrī mėhlā 4.

Goojaree, Fourth Mehl:

ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਨੁ ਮੋਹੈ

गोविंदु गोविंदु प्रीतमु मनि प्रीतमु मिलि सतसंगति सबदि मनु मोहै ॥

Govinḏ govinḏ parīṯam man parīṯam mil saṯsangaṯ sabaḏ man mohai.

The Lord, the Lord of the Universe is the Beloved of the minds of those who join the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. The Shabad of His Word fascinates their minds.

ਜਪਿ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਭ ਕਉ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇਇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਓਹੈ ॥੧॥

जपि गोविंदु गोविंदु धिआईऐ सभ कउ दानु देइ प्रभु ओहै ॥१॥

Jap govinḏ govinḏ ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai sabẖ ka▫o ḏān ḏe▫e parabẖ ohai. ||1||

Chant, and meditate on the Lord, the Lord of the Universe; God is the One who gives gifts to all. ||1||

ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਜਨਾ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੋਹੈ

मेरे भाई जना मो कउ गोविंदु गोविंदु गोविंदु मनु मोहै ॥

Mere bẖā▫ī janā mo ka▫o govinḏ govinḏ govinḏ man mohai.

O my Siblings of Destiny, the Lord of the Universe, Govind, Govind, Govind, has enticed and fascinated my mind.

ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

गोविंद गोविंद गोविंद गुण गावा मिलि गुर साधसंगति जनु सोहै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Govinḏ govinḏ govinḏ guṇ gāvā mil gur sāḏẖsangaṯ jan sohai. ||1|| rahā▫o.

I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe, Govind, Govind, Govind; joining the Holy Society of the Guru, Your humble servant is beautified. ||1||Pause||

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਕਉਲਾ ਰਿਧਿ ਸਿਧਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਪਗਿ ਓਹੈ

सुख सागर हरि भगति है गुरमति कउला रिधि सिधि लागै पगि ओहै ॥

Sukẖ sāgar har bẖagaṯ hai gurmaṯ ka▫ulā riḏẖ siḏẖ lāgai pag ohai.

Devotional worship to the Lord is an ocean of peace; through the Guru's Teachings, wealth, prosperity and the spiritual powers of the Siddhas fall at our feet.

ਜਨ ਕਉ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਆਧਾਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਸੋਹੈ ॥੨॥

जन कउ राम नामु आधारा हरि नामु जपत हरि नामे सोहै ॥२॥

Jan ka▫o rām nām āḏẖārā har nām japaṯ har nāme sohai. ||2||

The Lord's Name is the Support of His humble servant; he chants the Lord's Name, and with the Lord's Name he is adorned. ||2||

ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਭਾਗਹੀਨ ਮਤਿ ਫੀਕੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਆਵੈ ਮਨਿ ਰੋਹੈ

दुरमति भागहीन मति फीके नामु सुनत आवै मनि रोहै ॥

Ḏurmaṯ bẖāghīn maṯ fīke nām sunaṯ āvai man rohai.

Evil-minded, unfortunate and shallow-minded are those who feel anger in their minds, when they hear the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ਕਊਆ ਕਾਗ ਕਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤੈ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਖਾਇ ਮੁਖਿ ਗੋਹੈ ॥੩॥

कऊआ काग कउ अम्रित रसु पाईऐ त्रिपतै विसटा खाइ मुखि गोहै ॥३॥

Ka▫ū▫ā kāg ka▫o amriṯ ras pā▫ī▫ai ṯaripṯai vistā kẖā▫e mukẖ gohai. ||3||

You may place ambrosial nectar before crows and ravens, but they will be satisfied only by eating manure and dung with their mouths. ||3||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ

अम्रित सरु सतिगुरु सतिवादी जितु नातै कऊआ हंसु होहै ॥

Amriṯ sar saṯgur saṯivāḏī jiṯ nāṯai ka▫ū▫ā hans hohai.

The True Guru, the Speaker of Truth, is the pool of Ambrosial Nectar; bathing within it, the crow becomes a swan.

ਨਾਨਕ ਧਨੁ ਧੰਨੁ ਵਡੇ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਹੈ ॥੪॥੨॥

नानक धनु धंनु वडे वडभागी जिन्ह गुरमति नामु रिदै मलु धोहै ॥४॥२॥

Nānak ḏẖan ḏẖan vade vadbẖāgī jinĥ gurmaṯ nām riḏai mal ḏẖohai. ||4||2||

O Nanak, blessed, blessed and very fortunate are those who, through the Guru's Teachings, with the Naam, wash away the filth of their hearts. ||4||2||

Now, I am no expert, but even to a {censored} like me, it is quite clear this has nothing to do with miracles or faith, or pools of water, but connecting with the Guru, if you feel otherwise, let us debate the shabad, I am happy to open a thread.

If so, we'd have to change SPN to WPN, removing the Sikh and replacing it with 'Which Philosophy Net'. That way, both the letter and the spirit of the word of Guru Ramdas is saved.

GIven your manipulation of the above bani to suit your own agenda, I would prefer either to Original's Philosophy Net, at least I have a choice then!

Good Morning, Its Amrit Vela, hope you are up

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
path like dukh bhanjan path are the miracle what the clever people take advantage of the society and fool them and make their living without doing anything. i have gone through SGGS hundreds of times. there is no such path in it. It is the clever people who make use of the needy and pain suffering people. This is the reason why a religion goes down in the eyes of the society and a new religion is born by asdvertising the shortcomings of the previous\ religion and it will keep happening. luckily we do have SGGS and yet saints like rare wala are advertising this path by taking out gurbani stanzas from it. If some people got relief I would not be surprised that a new branch of sikhism will start. I have rarewala baljinder singhs book with me. It was given to me to translate in English. It has lot stanzas from SGGs in it but when they explain it then it turns out that they they are curing you difficulties sicknesses and pains. People I dealt with are unstable in their mind and yet they recite this in gurdwaras and arrange camps as well. They are ignorant and idiots including sant baljinder singh rare wala. Listen o scholars do not listen to them. If they are so great; bring their leader to me or I will go to him and discuss what they know.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Seriously? Do you think Guru sahib is literally talking about some Amrit Sarovar?
..No, not some sarovar, but specifically, "Amritsar" sarovar.

If you were to dig deep from a historical perspective, you will come across the "Dukh Bhanjani Ber Sahib" [tree], which stands within the complex, Golden Temple; supplemented as it were by range and variety of the sources that you can critically evaluate for information sake. Once authenticity has been established, albeit a story corroborating the root and branch of the tree's genus and the pond [sarovar], with its "allegedly" mystical healing powers, you will with various biases allowed for, conclude a reasonable reconstruction of the Sikh History as it really is.

Pls answer the following, if you can - thank you:

1..over a 100,000 footfall a day is recorded at the holy shrine of Amritsar; why travel all that way when Gurus' [SGGSJ] darshan can be had at a local Gurdwara ?

2. Why build the holy shrine where it currently is built when abundant other locations were equitably and economically more favourable ?

Goodnight

Good morning All
I am surprised at this, because you are intelligent man, and the above insults both our intelligence,
..I'm afraid belief is something that is assigned to the irrational nature of the humans that we are; intelligence falls completely outside of it. I note your compliment and concerns, however.

But look, you try reasoning with 2.2 billion Christians that Jesus couldn't have risen from the dead, more so, try telling 1.6 billion Islamite's that Mohammed couldn't have had the Quran Sharif narrated to Him by a human with wings [angel Gabriel]. Similarly, try reasoning with those 100,000 pilgrimages who visit the holy shrine of Amritsar everyday that the sarovar doesn't have any mystical powers ?

In a nutshell then, belief cannot be reasoned or objectively experimented with to confirm validity of metaphysical truths. And as a result, weighty questions of this type are left to the "faith" of the individual for it falls outside the realms of knowledge [material and form]. That is to say, "evidence of things unseen". And indeed, rational minds are not comfortable with that, hence, irrational.
I can provide you with many quotes from the word of our Guru, that if taken literally, have no reflection on the true meaning of the word.
..let us look at the word "literal" and see how it should or ought to be interpreted: for example, you saying to your step-son, "go and get a loaf of bread" accompanying the act with a £5 note, which you give in his hand. Now, your son will be unable to execute the order without interpretation. Common sense and good faith tell the son that his father's meaning was this:
1. he should go immediately or as soon as practicable
2. that the money handed to him is intended to pay for the purchase
3. that he should buy bread, the type which is usually consumed at their home
4. that it is not out of sell-by-date and he pays fair price
5. that he go to the local family store
6. that he return the rest of the money to his father after the purchase
7. that he bring the bread home in good faith
Now suppose on the other hand, you being afraid of being misunderstood had mentioned these 7 specifications in that order, you would not have obtained your object, if it were to exclude all possibility of misunderstanding. For the various specifications would have required new ones. Where would be the end ? We are constrained then always, to leave considerable part of our meaning to be found out by interpretations.

Interpretation, in other words, is not something that happens in cases of doubt or difficulty; it happens whenever anyone tries to understand language used by another. Usually the process of understanding is instinctive and immediate. It requires no conscious thought and is not therefore even noticed. The task of the recipient of conveyance is to give the words to be construed their literal meaning, notwithstanding, whether the result is sensible or not. However pedantic the conveyor, there will be much that he will have to leave to common sense of the recipient.

In view of that, I move on to the case in point, meaning; ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ

Transliteration:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ - deathless, eternity
ਸਰੁ - pond, tank
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ - true guru
ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ - pious, righteous, permanent
ਜਿਤੁ - within which or whosoever
ਨਾਤੈ - bathed, swam
ਕਊਆ - crow
ਹੰਸੁ - swan
ਹੋਹੈ" - became

You don't need Albert Einstein to work that one out, it's that simple !

For the sake of the task to hand read the above shabad in conjunction with the story told by Seeker2013 above [Rajni].

As for "agenda" - I'm grateful to SPN for allowing me to spell out Sikh to the best of my virtue and wisdom. If I'd be considered a writer you're my writing - thank you Sir and good day !

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
But look, you try reasoning with 2.2 billion Christians that Jesus couldn't have risen from the dead, more so, try telling 1.6 billion Islamite's that Mohammed couldn't have had the Quran Sharif narrated to Him by a human with wings [angel Gabriel]. Similarly, try reasoning with those 100,000 pilgrimages who visit the holy shrine of Amritsar everyday that the sarovar doesn't have any mystical powers ?

I thought it was this very facet of Sikhism, the ability to discount the supernatural and the magical, that made Sikhism different, it is certainly why I am a Sikh, I would never reason with a Christian or a Muslim, as that is what their religion accepts, miracles, but Sikhism intimates there is more to life than having your wishes granted, which is why, in my opinion, there is no heaven, no reward for good deeds, just death, do you think the sarovar has mystical powers? does it only work with cripples and crows, but not Army units? It sounds like some sort of bad joke to be honest, crows can become doves with this supernatural mystical water, but men with guns threatening pilgrims, no problem. Maybe if they were dressed as crows, 1984 would never have happened.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I thought it was this very facet of Sikhism, the ability to discount the supernatural and the magical, that made Sikhism different
..correct !
it is certainly why I am a Sikh
..you didn't have a choice
I would never reason with a Christian or a Muslim
..because religious belief cannot be rationally debated and you'll be a Sensible Singh for that very reason !
Sikhism intimates there is more to life than having your wishes granted
..correct !
which is why, in my opinion, there is no heaven,
...believe it or not, heaven n hell is here & now; and since death in Sikhism is only physical, the spiritual Sikh lives on indefinitely ! .
no reward for good deeds
..come on H, to what end doing good deeds a benefit and doing bad deeds a detriment if there weren't any just deserts in place ? Surely, something that is immortal [Sikh, soul], ought not it to concern itself with the whole of time rather than with so short a span, meaning, this life only ? That is why Guru Ji says, ਸਚੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਜਹਾਨੁ [p136SGGSJ, meaning, walk the path of moral uprightness and reap praise from the world]. Sikh doctrine, meaning Gurmukh, which by virtue is that goodness is its own reward, notwithstanding, consequences. This is further corroborated by the shabad above, that the good man is rewarded by society in this here and now life !
do you think the sarovar has mystical powers?
...as much as placebo has on those who use it. But, between you me and the garden gate, no !
Once whilst visiting India, we were stranded in Delhi and as a result, had to spend couple of nights with family friends. Early next morning one of the family member set-off to Harminder Sahib to go and bath in the holy sarovar because his eye sight had improved considerably ever since he started bathing in the pool. So yes, there are millions who flock to the mystical sarovar for remedial purposes.
Sikhism "makes" allowances for such excursions, not recommendations, just as medicine does for placebo, meaning Sikhism is a science.
does it only work with cripples and crows, but not Army units? It sounds like some sort of bad joke to be honest, crows can become doves with this supernatural mystical water, but men with guns threatening pilgrims, no problem. Maybe if they were dressed as crows, 1984 would never have happened.
..these are intellectual excursions and not theological stock. Besides, the subject-matter to hand is a story that gave birth to the creation and development of the Golden Temple as we know it today. Gur Ghar, makes it clear and hence the reason for the erection of the "abode of God" at that particular location.

Moreover, storytelling is the social and cultural activity of every society. The story of Rajni and her leper husband is no exception; it's the substance and not the form that encapsulates moral and religious values within which Sikhism Spiritual is enshrined.

More another time - for now, take care !

Last edited:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Similarly, try reasoning with those 100,000 pilgrimages who visit the holy shrine of Amritsar everyday that the sarovar doesn't have any mystical powers ?

1..over a 100,000 footfall a day is recorded at the holy shrine of Amritsar; why travel all that way when Gurus' [SGGSJ] darshan can be had at a local Gurdwara ?

@Original ji, if these people did not listen to what our Guru, SGGS Ji repeatedly states, what reasoning will ever work with them...a literal translation is clear enough...

ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥
Ŧirath ṯap ḏa▫i▫ā ḏaṯ ḏān.
Pilgrimages, austere discipline, compassion and charity -

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
Je ko pāvai ṯil kā mān.
these, by themselves, bring only an iota of merit.

ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
Suṇi▫ā mani▫ā man kīṯā bẖā▫o.
Listening and believing with love and humility in your mind,

ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥
Anṯargaṯ ṯirath mal nā▫o.
cleanse yourself with the Name, at the sacred shrine deep within.

ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥
Sabẖ guṇ ṯere mai nāhī ko▫e.
All virtues are Yours, Lord, I have none at all.
ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
viṇ guṇ kīṯe bẖagaṯ na ho▫e.
Without virtue, there is no devotional worship.
ਸੁਅਸਤਿ ਆਥਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਬਰਮਾਉ ॥
Su▫asaṯ āth baṇī barmā▫o.
I bow to the Lord of the World, to His Word, to Brahma the Creator.
ਸਤਿ ਸੁਹਾਣੁ ਸਦਾ ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ॥
Saṯ suhāṇ saḏā man cẖā▫o.
He is Beautiful, True and Eternally Joyful.
ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਕਵਣ ਥਿਤਿ ਕਵਣੁ ਵਾਰੁ ॥
Kavaṇ so velā vakẖaṯ kavaṇ kavaṇ thiṯ kavaṇ vār.
What was that time, and what was that moment? What was that day, and what was that date?
ਕਵਣਿ ਸਿ ਰੁਤੀ ਮਾਹੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਹੋਆ ਆਕਾਰੁ ॥
Kavaṇ sė ruṯī māhu kavaṇ jiṯ ho▫ā ākār.
What was that season, and what was that month, when the Universe was created?
ਵੇਲ ਨ ਪਾਈਆ ਪੰਡਤੀ ਜਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਲੇਖੁ ਪੁਰਾਣੁ ॥
vel na pā▫ī▫ā pandṯī jė hovai lekẖ purāṇ.
The Pandits, the religious scholars, cannot find that time, even if it is written in the Puraanas.
ਵਖਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਕਾਦੀਆ ਜਿ ਲਿਖਨਿ ਲੇਖੁ ਕੁਰਾਣੁ ॥
vakẖaṯ na pā▫i▫o kāḏī▫ā jė likẖan lekẖ kurāṇ.
That time is not known to the Qazis, who study the Koran.
ਥਿਤਿ ਵਾਰੁ ਨਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਜਾਣੈ ਰੁਤਿ ਮਾਹੁ ਨਾ ਕੋਈ ॥
Thiṯ vār nā jogī jāṇai ruṯ māhu nā ko▫ī.
The day and the date are not known to the Yogis, nor is the month or the season.
ਜਾ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਿਰਠੀ ਕਉ ਸਾਜੇ ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ॥
Jā karṯā sirṯẖī ka▫o sāje āpe jāṇai so▫ī.
The Creator who created this creation-only He Himself knows.
ਕਿਵ ਕਰਿ ਆਖਾ ਕਿਵ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਕਿਉ ਵਰਨੀ ਕਿਵ ਜਾਣਾ ॥
Kiv kar ākẖā kiv sālāhī ki▫o varnī kiv jāṇā.
How can we speak of Him? How can we praise Him? How can we describe Him? How can we know Him?
ਨਾਨਕ ਆਖਣਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਆਖੈ ਇਕ ਦੂ ਇਕੁ ਸਿਆਣਾ ॥
Nānak ākẖaṇ sabẖ ko ākẖai ik ḏū ik si▫āṇā.
O Nanak, everyone speaks of Him, each one wiser than the rest.
ਵਡਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਵਡੀ ਨਾਈ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਹੋਵੈ ॥
vadā sāhib vadī nā▫ī kīṯā jā kā hovai.
Great is the Master, Great is His Name. Whatever happens is according to His Will.
ਨਾਨਕ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਆਪੌ ਜਾਣੈ ਅਗੈ ਗਇਆ ਨ ਸੋਹੈ ॥੨੧॥
Nānak je ko āpou jāṇai agai ga▫i▫ā na sohai. ||21||
O Nanak, one who claims to know everything shall not be decorated in the world hereafter. ||21||

SGGS: Ang/Page 4-5

2. Why build the holy shrine where it currently is built when abundant other locations were equitably and economically more favourable ?

I have no idea, care to explain?

Thank you

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
..as much as placebo has on those who use it. But, between you me and the garden gate, no !

your earlier posts on the subject did not intimate this at all, they intimated the opposite, have you done a reverse ferret?

..isn't that proselytising by association, sir ? what to you is blind faith, is in fact to millions, the word of the guru "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ, meaning, crows that dived into the amrit pool came out as white doves (swans)]. Surely you're not suggesting we should question the wisdom of our guru, are you ? If so, we'd have to change SPN to WPN, removing the Sikh and replacing it with 'Which Philosophy Net'. That way, both the letter and the spirit of the word of Guru Ramdas is saved.

are youf now contradicting your own post and questioning your own statement, and thus the Guru? I am confused.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
your earlier posts on the subject did not intimate this at all, they intimated the opposite, have you done a reverse ferret?
..pls reread your original question [quote: do you think the sarovar has mystical powers?]. I said "no" ! Now read up on everything I've said re thinking and believing. Two different sides of the one coin.
are youf now contradicting your own post and questioning your own statement, and thus the Guru? I am confused.
..H, I'm a believer remember ! Everything my Gurus' have said I believe, absolutely ! Remain focused on the ebb n flow of the pen and not on the ink and the paper upon which I surmise.

Goodnight Sir

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
..pls reread your original question [quote: do you think the sarovar has mystical powers?]. I said "no" ! Now read up on everything I've said re thinking and believing. Two different sides of the one coin.

We come here to share our opinions and learn from each other, if you are going to argue both sides of the coin, in future, could you be clear as to what is your own opinion and what is not, it saves much time and makes this thread, and the effort in opening it quite redundant.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Original said:
what to you is blind faith, is in fact to millions, the word of the guru "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ, meaning, crows that dived into the amrit pool came out as white doves (swans)]

Original ji,

Guru Fateh.

Your above verse is what is also written on banners justifying 'the miracles'

What does the verse "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ on Page 493 btw.

How is this related to Amritsar the city?

You have repeated this twice linking the verse with Amritsar and Ishnaan there as a miracle.

Firstly, please elaborate how did you thread this needle which has no where to thread?

You believe in miracles.

Sikhi does not believe in miracles unlike you do. If Sikhi believed in miracles, then the hot plat where Guru Arjan was forced to sit on, would never have gotten hot along with many other things considered as miracles . Your believing in a miracles as a Sikh is the reason many of your posts are filled with Hindutva because Hindus believe in miracles and blind faiths as you do and as the Hindus do, not us Sikhs.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Original ji,

Guru Fateh.

Your above verse is what is also written on banners justifying 'the miracles'

What does the verse "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ on Page 493 btw.

How is this related to Amritsar the city?

You have repeated this twice linking the verse with Amritsar and Ishnaan there as a miracle.

Firstly, please elaborate how did you thread this needle which has no where to thread?

You believe in miracles.

Sikhi does not believe in miracles unlike you. If Sikhi believed in miracles, then the hot plat where Guru Arjan was forced to sit on, would never have gotten hot along with many other things considered as miracles . Your believing in a miracles as a Sikh is the reason many of your posts are filled with Hindutva because Hindus believe in miracles and blind faiths as you do and as the Hindus do, not us Sikhs.

Sikhi Believes in Naam...

For the one who is infused with Naam and in full Glory of waheguru within and without then for that Soul the following is True....

Thaera Keea Meetha Lagai

and

Thathee Vao n lagaeee par braham sarnaeee...

Even whilst sat on a hot plate...

Being able to sit on a hot plate and be in deep meditation on waheguru - showing the world the power of naam....is a miracle..

'The hot plate would never have gotten hot' is not what miracles are about...that is what a normal human would class a miracle because a normal human being is attached to life and clings to it..

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
on the topic of Amritsar / Harmandir sahib...

The outer Harmandir sahib for me represents the inner architecture..

The door to the Guru, the link from Dassam Duar to the Heart where God resides...the internal Shabad that resounds...the internal Sarovar...and the internal ishnaan...

Having been to Amritsar with Full believe and faith in my Guru...and having internal experience also...i found it amazing, uplifting and rejuvinating...its a truely spiritual place...

Once i left it...the continuation of the ishnaan, the inner cleansing and the continuation of my journey towards Waheguru Realisation occurs in the Harimandir Sahib within me...

The outer Guru, Directs me to my inner Guru...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
on the topic of Amritsar / Harmand

The outer Harmandir sahib for me represents the inner architecture..

The door to the Guru, the link from Dassam Duar to the Heart where God resides...the internal Shabad that resounds...the internal Sarovar...and the internal ishnaan...

Having been to Amritsar with Full believe and faith in my Guru...and having internal experience also...i found it amazing, uplifting and rejuvinating...its a truely spiritual place...

Once i left it...the continuation of the ishnaan, the inner cleansing and the continuation of my journey towards Waheguru Realisation occurs in the Harimandir Sahib within me...

The outer Guru, Directs me to my inner Guru...

Chaz ji,

Guru Fateh.

We are talking about Gurbani and I just want clarifications from Original ji that the verse he quoted twice to show it means Amritsar, the city, the tangible place.Is that so?

The verse is "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ on Page 493 btw.

Last edited:

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
The verse is "ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਵਾਦੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਕਊਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੋਹੈ" [p492 SGGSJ on Page 493 btw.
My explanation for the above
The true guru is truly the pool of nectar, bathing in that pool of divie knowledge even a crow becomes a swan. We can further explain it yet

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
My explanation for the above
The true guru is truly the pool of nectar, bathing in that pool of divie knowledge even a crow becomes a swan. We can further explain it yet

Swarm Bains ji,

Guru Fateh.

I agree with you.

The crow and swan are used as metaphors because black colour is racist and has been used in the Indian culture nonchalantly for millennia.. If that were the case in its true sense, then the question arises as all are Ik Ong Kaar's creation, why create a useless black bird then?!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chaz ji,

Guru Fateh.

We are talking about Gurbani and I just want clarifications from Original ji that the verse he quoted twice to show it means Amritsar, the city, the tangible place.Is that so?

Are you saying that i'm not referring to Gurbani?

also you wrote

if this 'amritsar' is not a tangible place as in the city...what, in your opinion, is Guru Ji referring to here?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM