• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Milk And Honey By Rupi Kaur

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I the paperback trade fiction list, a debut collection called “Milk and Honey,” by the Sikh-Canadian writer Rupi Kaur, is going strong at No. 8 on the New York Times Bestseller List, after nine weeks.

milk-honey.jpg

Rupi Kaur is a 23-year-old social media phenom from Toronto, Ontario, Canada who gained attention last year when she fought Instagram’s removal of a photo she posted showing menstrual blood.

As her audience grew - she now has 475,000 followers on Instagram and 34,500 on Twitter - Rupi earned a reputation not only for her photos and sketches but also for brief, plain-spoken poems tackling feminism, love, trauma and healing in short lines that can be as smooth as pop music (“love will hold you / love will call your name”) or as jagged as rusty metal (“the hurt / the loss / the pain / the breaking”).

Much of Rupi’s appeal comes from this artless vulnerability, like a cross between Charles Bukowski and Cat Power, and from an ingénue’s willingness to blurt out whatever is on her mind.

“I was always writing for myself,” she said this month. “I wrote what I needed to write and hear - that’s what makes it powerful. And it’s this honesty that has got me where I am today.”

Well, that and some serious marketing savvy.

Besides “Milk and Honey,” which she initially self-published, visitors to Rupi’s website can also buy jars of artisanal honey branded with her name, “from the hives of distinguished queen bees.”

milk-honey1.jpg

And she has ideas about how to expand her reach.

“There have been articles saying that all women need to read my book,” she says. “I ask, why not all men? In fact, that would be even more valuable because we women want to sit down with men and tell them - this is how we feel, this is what we go through.”

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I don't know why feminists get bad mouthed so much .
Like most feminist are just fighting for the right thing. Its the male dominance mindset that prevents women from full equality .
This is the same mindset that encourages patriarchal society , which is pretty much of whole world, to treat LGBT like sht as well .

Dev singh

SPNer
Apr 22, 2016
Women are abused all over the world. man do not wish to get women higher then men.
It is also the fault of women. Most women wear koka in nose. The is the signe of slavery.
It was started by the Hindus when girl get married, his mama use to put the NATH in the nose and give one end to man who is getting married to girl. This is still going on all over the India. Why women dont protest it?
Men call his Bhabi, VBhabi is not bad it mena bhra the wife (bibi). But so many call Bhabi BHARZAI. That is insult to the woman.

Women should protest who call then Bharzi.

It is finiacial problem. Men cont trol the money.
Many women touch husband,s feet as she wake up.
Many women also put red color on the forhead. That is another insult for women. Even small bindi is wrong.
If the women not going to get togather they will be abused for eternty.

Dev

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM