• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pacific Midwife Found At Airport After Being Ordered To Pay $6.6 Million Over Botched Home Birth

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Midwife found at airport after being ordered to pay $6.6 million over botched home birth

Louise Hall

Akal Khalsa, who botched the delivery of a baby boy, leaving him severely disabled.

A midwife ordered by a court to pay $6.6 million to a boy who developed cerebral palsy as a result of a botched home birth has been arrested at Sydney airport trying to leave the country on a one-way ticket.

Authorities detained Akal Kaur Khalsa on Tuesday morning as she attempted to board a flight to Wellington, New Zealand, using a business class ticket and an Italian passport in the name of Margaret Maree Saviane.

Last year the NSW Supreme Court upheld a civil claim against Ms Khalsa brought by the mother of Will Patterson, a six-year-old Sydney boy who has quadriplegic cerebral palsy as a result of his home birth in November 2006.

A warrant was issued in June for Ms Khalsa's arrest after she failed to attend a hearing regarding the freezing of her assets.

Ms Khalsa was taken from the airport and bought before Justice Peter Garling, who remanded her in the custody of the Department of Corrective Services for failing to comply with a series of court orders.

Justice Garling said the two passports in Ms Khalsa's possession showed she had been to Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand and India in the past six months. He said she was a "serious flight risk" as documents she was carrying showed she had organised a house in New Zealand, future travel to Fiji and had withdrawn $35,000 in cash.

If released, it was likely she would not turn up in court for an examination of her financial situation on Thursday, he said.

Ms Khalsa did not defend the case brought against her by the Pattersons. Justice Garling found she had been negligent in both recommending and carrying out the home birth. He ordered her to pay $6.6 million in damages to assist with the lifetime of care Will.

The boy suffered a loss of oxygen to the brain and body during the "protracted and complex" birth.

In October last year, Ms Khalsa was found guilty of professional misconduct and unsatisfactory professional conduct over a different home birth.

The Nursing and Midwifery Tribunal found she had failed to properly care for and manage the baby - who had a ruptured umbilical cord, persistent low temperature and could not feed - for more than 15 hours before it was admitted to Manly hospital in January 2011.

The tribunal also found Ms Khalsa, who is aged in her late 60s, failed to make proper clinical records and later submitted a second set of records that were false or misleading.

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency website indicates that Ms Khalsa remains registered as a midwife, though with the designation "non-practising". She is also registered to practise as a nurse without any limitations.

Ms Khalsa was in private practice as a midwife for more than 34 years until March 2011 and worked as a casual nurse at the Royal Hospital for Women at Randwick for about 10 years until October 2012.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/midwife-f...-home-birth-20140204-31z0a.html#ixzz2sQacq1nJ

Last edited by a moderator:

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
All these people who are attempting to co-opt Sikhism by taking on Sikh-sounding names and even dressing up in bana. But they have no clue what Sikhi is about. Seems like they just want to propagate their new-age beliefs.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
All these people who are attempting to co-opt Sikhism by taking on Sikh-sounding names and even dressing up in bana. But they have no clue what Sikhi is about. Seems like they just want to propagate their new-age beliefs.

Akal Kaur Khalsa is clearly a 3HO name, so enough said there.

However, I cannot see a problem myself with her look, it is her actions that are the problem, after all, we are all works in progress.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
It's as Harry has said; this is clearly a 3HO name. They call themselves 'Khalsa', whether they be strong Sikhs or new-age hippies or something in between.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Let us not try not to judge on looks, as the facts damn more than looks ever could, she is 3HO, which if you read the website, is more of a Yogiji website than a Sikh website. As was pointed out by Ishnasisji, the names are given by Yogiji not the tenth master. On top of that she is a criminal, and seems unprepared to clear her name.

I feel she looks more than capable to be a fine Sikh, if not for her actions and the allegations against her.

I write this only as someone who possibly looks the most unsikh of all of us

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
harry ji

The burr that sticks is not about "looks" it is about gross deception. True someone in full bana could commit similar criminal acts, and there too the burr that sticks would not be about looks but about gross deception. More.. in the case of this "Kaur Khalsa" she is adding insult to injury. She insults the Khalsa as she injures and victimizes her clientele.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Quite a difference in appearance. I cannot argue with anyone's choice to leave the Sangat - I did that myself for several years at one time - but she has forfeited the right to call herself Khalsa...and she makes the rest of us look bad, too.

In any case, a Khalsa doesn't run from the consequences of her actions, whatever they are. I still wonder what finally happened to her in this case.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM