• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Melodies Mentioned In Sikh Scriptures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2012
Sat sri akal to everyone. If you come across any verse which relate to melodies please put it on this thread and give your oppinion the meaning base on your understanding.. I think there are many verses in our sikh scriptures that are related to melodies,, unstruct melodies

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 28, 2010
HARCHARANJITSINGH DHILLON JI,

I refer to your views as
I think there are many verses in our sikh scriptures that are related to melodies,, unstruct melodies<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

First it would be better to spell which are Sikh Scriptures which contain verses
that are related to melodies,unstruck melodies.
You may pl also mention the names of Such scriptures for reference.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Oct 18, 2012
HARCHARANJITSINGH DHILLON JI,

I refer to your views as
I think there are many verses in our sikh scriptures that are related to melodies,, unstruct melodies<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

First it would be better to spell which are Sikh Scriptures which contain verses
that are related to melodies,unstruck melodies.
You may pl also mention the names of Such scriptures for reference.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Dear Mr Prakash ji'
Thanks for the feedback. I am not saying a particular word unstruct melody only, it can be anything else related to melodies like example sound of bell,, drum, flute,, veena or etc. I am just asking if anyone out there has came across any verse or verses related to this above subject that I am talking about please put it on this thread. And please explain it as per your understanding. Our sikh scriptures are very wide, or easily I put it from Sri Guru Granth

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Prakash ji is asking if you have some example/ reference so that we can discuss. Unless you are just trying to do something else. You can not just ask something without any thoughts/study/ reference of yours.
Internet is a great source. Just find some material...and then start the topic... please.
Thank you

PS you do not need to quote whole post without any need for it. Simply put your ideas as I did.

Oct 18, 2012
SOUND OF FLUTE

<TABLE cellSpacing=25 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center></TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 62, Line 14
ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਵਾਜੈ ਕਿੰਗੁਰੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥
घटि घटि वाजै किंगुरी अनदिनु सबदि सुभाइ ॥
Gẖat gẖat vājai kingurī an▫ḏin sabaḏ subẖā▫e.
In each and every heart the Music of the Lord's Flute vibrates, night and day, with sublime love for the Shabad.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 344, Line 11
ਤਉ ਅਨਹਦ ਬੇਣੁ ਸਹਜ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਇ ॥੧॥
तउ अनहद बेणु सहज महि बाइ ॥१॥
Ŧa▫o anhaḏ beṇ sahj mėh bā▫e. ||1||
then the celestial flutes play the unstruck melody in tranquil peace and poise. ||1||
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 411, Line 15
ਨਿਰਮਲ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਦੁ ਵਜਾਵੈ ॥੪॥
निरमल बाणी नादु वजावै ॥४॥
Nirmal baṇī nāḏ vajāvai. ||4||
Let the Immaculate Bani of the Word be your playing of the flute. ||4||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 606, Line 16
ਆਪੇ ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਆਪੇ ਵੰਸੁ ਵਜਾਹਾ ॥
आपे सावल सुंदरा पिआरा आपे वंसु वजाहा ॥
Āpe sāval sunḏrā pi▫ārā āpe vans vajāhā.
The Beloved Himself is the blue-skinned, handsome one; He Himself plays on His flute.
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 790, Line 4
ਬਾਂਗਾ ਬੁਰਗੂ ਸਿੰਙੀਆ ਨਾਲੇ ਮਿਲੀ ਕਲਾਣ ॥
बांगा बुरगू सिंङीआ नाले मिली कलाण ॥
Bāʼngā burgū sińī▫ā nāle milī kalāṇ.
The callers to prayer, the flute-players, the horn-blowers, and also the singers -
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 884, Line 13
ਕਰਨਹੁ ਮਧੁ ਬਾਸੁਰੀ ਬਾਜੈ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਧੁਨਿ ਆਗਾਜਾ ॥
करनहु मधु बासुरी बाजै जिहवा धुनि आगाजा ॥
Karnahu maḏẖ bāsurī bājai jihvā ḏẖun āgājā.
Let the sweet flute music resound in your ears, and with your tongue, vibrate this song.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 907, Line 16
ਪਰਪੰਚ ਬੇਣੁ ਤਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਅਗਨਿ ਪਰਜਾਰੀ ॥੫॥
परपंच बेणु तही मनु राखिआ ब्रहम अगनि परजारी ॥५॥
Parpancẖ beṇ ṯahī man rākẖi▫ā barahm agan parjārī. ||5||
He plays the flute of the universe in his mind, and lights the fire of God. ||5||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 973, Line 1
ਅਖੰਡ ਮੰਡਲ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਮਹਿ ਅਨਹਦ ਬੇਨੁ ਬਜਾਵਉਗੋ ॥੧॥
अखंड मंडल निरंकार महि अनहद बेनु बजावउगो ॥१॥
Akẖand mandal nirankār mėh anhaḏ ben bajāv▫ogo. ||1||
In the imperishable realm of the Formless Lord, I play the flute of the unstruck sound current. ||1||
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 988, Line 10
ਧਨਿ ਧੰਨਿ ਓ ਰਾਮ ਬੇਨੁ ਬਾਜੈ ॥
धनि धंनि ओ राम बेनु बाजै ॥
Ḏẖan ḏẖan o rām ben bājai.
Blessed, blessed is that flute which the Lord plays.
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 988, Line 12
ਬੇਨੁ ਬਜਾਵੈ ਗੋਧਨੁ ਚਰੈ ॥
बेनु बजावै गोधनु चरै ॥
Ben bajāvai goḏẖan cẖarai.
He plays the flute, and herds the cows;
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1035, Line 17
ਤੰਤੁ ਮੰਤੁ ਪਾਖੰਡੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਵੰਸੁ ਵਜਾਇਦਾ ॥੭॥
तंतु मंतु पाखंडु न कोई ना को वंसु वजाइदा ॥७॥
Ŧanṯ manṯ pakẖand na ko▫ī nā ko vans vajā▫iḏā. ||7||
There were no tantras, no mantras and no hypocrisy; no one played the flute. ||7||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1039, Line 5
ਸਬਦੁ ਰਸਾਲੁ ਰਸਨ ਰਸਿ ਰਸਨਾ ਬੇਣੁ ਰਸਾਲੁ ਵਜਾਇਆ ॥੯॥
सबदु रसालु रसन रसि रसना बेणु रसालु वजाइआ ॥९॥
Sabaḏ rasāl rasan ras rasnā beṇ rasāl vajā▫i▫ā. ||9||
Enraptured with the delightful essence of the Shabad, the source of nectar, my tongue plays the sweet music of the flute. ||9||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1039, Line 6
ਬੇਣੁ ਰਸਾਲ ਵਜਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥
बेणु रसाल वजावै सोई ॥
Beṇ rasāl vajāvai so▫ī.
He alone plays the sweet music of this flute,
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1082, Line 6
ਰਿਖੀਕੇਸ ਗੋਵਰਧਨ ਧਾਰੀ ਮੁਰਲੀ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਾ ॥੧॥
रिखीकेस गोवरधन धारी मुरली मनोहर हरि रंगा ॥१॥
Rikẖīkes govarḏẖan ḏẖārī murlī manohar har rangā. ||1||
The Supreme Rishi, the Master of the sensory organs, the uplifter of mountains, the joyful Lord playing His enticing flute. ||1||
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1082, Line 16
ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪ ਬਣਾਵਹਿ ਬੇਣੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਭ ਮੋਹੈਗਾ ॥੯॥
सावल सुंदर रूप बणावहि बेणु सुनत सभ मोहैगा ॥९॥
Sāval sunḏar rūp baṇāvėh beṇ sunaṯ sabẖ mohaigā. ||9||
He assumed the beautiful form of the blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1082, Line 17
ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਮੁਕਟ ਬੈਨ ॥
सुंदर कुंडल मुकट बैन ॥
Sunḏar kundal mukat bain.
His ear-rings, crown and flute are so beautiful.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1236, Line 3
ਅਨਿਕ ਪਾਰਜਾਤ ਅਨਿਕ ਮੁਖਿ ਬੇਨ ॥
अनिक पारजात अनिक मुखि बेन ॥
Anik pārjāṯ anik mukẖ ben.
Many miraculous Elysian trees, many Krishnas playing the flute.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oct 18, 2012
SOUND OF DRUMS--- region where the mind is manufactured

<TABLE cellSpacing=25 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Page 13, Line 3
ਅਨਹਤਾ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੰਤ ਭੇਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
अनहता सबद वाजंत भेरी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Anhaṯā sabaḏ vājanṯ bẖerī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 16, Line 17
ਵਾਜਾ ਨੇਜਾ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਕਰਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਤਿ ॥੩॥
वाजा नेजा पति सिउ परगटु करमु तेरा मेरी जाति ॥३॥
vājā nejā paṯ si▫o pargat karam ṯerā merī jāṯ. ||3||
To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner. Your Mercy is my social status. ||3||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 63, Line 15
ਸਭ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਦੋਹੀ ਫੇਰੀਐ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਸਿਰਿ ਕਾਲੁ ॥
सभ जग महि दोही फेरीऐ बिनु नावै सिरि कालु ॥
Sabẖ jag mėh ḏohī ferī▫ai bin nāvai sir kāl.
You may beat the drum and proclaim authority over the whole world, but without the Name, death hovers over your head.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 74, Line 10
ਵਾਤ ਵਜਨਿ ਟੰਮਕ ਭੇਰੀਆ ॥
वात वजनि टमक भेरीआ ॥
vāṯ vajan tamak bẖerī▫ā.
The bugles play and the drums beat.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 91, Line 3
ਕੁਬੁਧਿ ਡੂਮਣੀ ਕੁਦਇਆ ਕਸਾਇਣਿ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਘਟ ਚੂਹੜੀ ਮੁਠੀ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਚੰਡਾਲਿ ॥
कुबुधि डूमणी कुदइआ कसाइणि पर निंदा घट चूहड़ी मुठी क्रोधि चंडालि ॥
Kubuḏẖ dūmṇī kuḏ▫i▫ā kasā▫iṇ par ninḏā gẖat cẖūhṛī muṯẖī kroḏẖ cẖandāl.
False-mindedness is the drummer-woman; cruelty is the butcheress; slander of others in one's heart is the cleaning-woman, and deceitful anger is the outcast-woman.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 142, Line 16
ਤਬਲਬਾਜ ਬੀਚਾਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ॥
तबलबाज बीचार सबदि सुणाइआ ॥
Ŧabalbāj bīcẖār sabaḏ suṇā▫i▫ā.
The Drummer, the Guru, has announced the Lord's meditation, through the Word of the Shabad.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 349, Line 17
ਦੋਲਕ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਵਾਜਹਿ ਵਾਜ ॥
दोलक दुनीआ वाजहि वाज ॥
Ḏolak ḏunī▫ā vājėh vāj.
the drum of the world resounds with the beat.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 364, Line 17
ਪੂਰੇ ਤਾਲ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥
पूरे ताल विचहु आपु गवाइ ॥
Pūre ṯāl vicẖahu āp gavā▫e.
to the beat of the drum, he sheds his ego from within.
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 417, Line 13
ਕਹਾ ਸੁ ਖੇਲ ਤਬੇਲਾ ਘੋੜੇ ਕਹਾ ਭੇਰੀ ਸਹਨਾਈ ॥
कहा सु खेल तबेला घोड़े कहा भेरी सहनाई ॥
Kahā so kẖel ṯabelā gẖoṛe kahā bẖerī sėhnā▫ī.
Where are the games, the stables, the horses? Where are the drums and the bugles?
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 465, Line 8
ਰੋਟੀਆ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਪੂਰਹਿ ਤਾਲ ॥
रोटीआ कारणि पूरहि ताल ॥
Rotī▫ā kāraṇ pūrėh ṯāl.
They beat the drums for the sake of bread.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 477, Line 4
ਫੀਲੁ ਰਬਾਬੀ ਬਲਦੁ ਪਖਾਵਜ ਕਊਆ ਤਾਲ ਬਜਾਵੈ ॥
फीलु रबाबी बलदु पखावज कऊआ ताल बजावै ॥
Fīl rabābī balaḏ pakẖāvaj ka▫ū▫ā ṯāl bajāvai.
The elephant is the guitar player, the ox is the drummer, and the crow plays the cymbals.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 478, Line 10
ਮੰਦਲੁ ਨ ਬਾਜੈ ਨਟੁ ਪੈ ਸੂਤਾ ॥੧॥
मंदलु न बाजै नटु पै सूता ॥१॥
Manḏal na bājai nat pai sūṯā. ||1||
The drum does not sound, and the actor has gone to sleep. ||1||
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 483, Line 2
ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਮੰਦਰੀਆ ਨ ਬਜਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
मेरा मनु मंदरीआ न बजावै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Merā man manḏarī▫ā na bajāvai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
My mind no longer beats the drum. ||1||Pause||
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 657, Line 10
ਅਣਮੜਿਆ ਮੰਦਲੁ ਬਾਜੈ ॥
अणमड़िआ मंदलु बाजै ॥
Aṇmaṛi▫ā manḏal bājai.
The skinless drum plays.
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 663, Line 6
ਅਨਹਤਾ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੰਤ ਭੇਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
अनहता सबद वाजंत भेरी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Anhaṯā sabaḏ vājanṯ bẖerī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The sound current of the Shabad is the sounding of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 833, Line 14
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਨੂਆ ਇਕਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਮਿਲਉ ਗਪਾਲ ਨੀਸਾਨੁ ਬਜਈਆ ॥੫॥
गुरमुखि मनूआ इकतु घरि आवै मिलउ गोपाल नीसानु बजईआ ॥५॥
Gurmukẖ manū▫ā ikaṯ gẖar āvai mila▫o gopāl nīsān baja▫ī▫ā. ||5||
The mind of the Gurmukh returns to its own home; it meets the Lord of the Universe, to the beat of the celestial drum. ||5||
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 835, Line 1
ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਰਖਿ ਰਖਿ ਚਰਣ ਹਰਿ ਤਾਲ ਪੂਰਈਆ ॥੫॥
हरि हरि उसतति करै दिनु राती रखि रखि चरण हरि ताल पूरईआ ॥५॥
Har har usṯaṯ karai ḏin rāṯī rakẖ rakẖ cẖaraṇ har ṯāl pūra▫ī▫ā. ||5||
I praise the Lord, day and night, moving my feet to the beat of the drum. ||5||
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 838, Line 18
ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਥਿਤੀ ਘਰੁ ੧੦ ਜਤਿ
बिलावलु महला १ थिती घरु १० जति
Bilāval mėhlā 1 thiṯī gẖar 10 jaṯ
Bilaaval, First Mehl, T'hitee ~ The Lunar Days, Tenth House, To The Drum-Beat Jat:
[SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 872, Line 17
ਇਸੁ ਮਨ ਆਗੇ ਪੂਰੈ ਤਾਲ ॥
इसु मन आगे पूरै ताल ॥
Is man āge pūrai ṯāl.
So play the beat of the drum in the mind.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 966, Line 14
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ ਰਾਇ ਬਲਵੰਡਿ ਤਥਾ ਸਤੈ ਡੂਮਿ ਆਖੀ
रामकली की वार राइ बलवंडि तथा सतै डूमि आखी
Rāmkalī kī vār rā▫e Balvand ṯathā Saṯai dūm ākẖī
Vaar Of Raamkalee, Uttered By Satta And Balwand The Drummer:
[SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1091, Line 1
ਮਾਂਦਲੁ ਬੇਦਿ ਸਿ ਬਾਜਣੋ ਘਣੋ ਧੜੀਐ ਜੋਇ ॥
मांदलु बेदि सि बाजणो घणो धड़ीऐ जोइ ॥
Māʼnḏal beḏ sė bājṇo gẖaṇo ḏẖaṛī▫ai jo▫e.
The drum of the Vedas vibrates, bringing dispute and divisiveness.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1105, Line 4
ਗਗਨ ਦਮਾਮਾ ਬਾਜਿਓ ਪਰਿਓ ਨੀਸਾਨੈ ਘਾਉ ॥
गगन दमामा बाजिओ परिओ नीसानै घाउ ॥
Gagan ḏamāmā bāji▫o pari▫o nīsānai gẖā▫o.
The battle-drum beats in the sky of the mind; aim is taken, and the wound is inflicted.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1124, Line 9
ਚਾਰਿ ਦਿਨ ਅਪਨੀ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਚਲੇ ਬਜਾਇ ॥
चारि दिन अपनी नउबति चले बजाइ ॥
Cẖār ḏin apnī na▫ubaṯ cẖale bajā▫e.
The mortal beats the drum for a few days, and then he must depart.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1164, Line 4
ਮਿਲਉ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਨੀਸਾਨੁ ਬਜਾਈ ॥੩॥
मिलउ गुपाल नीसानु बजाई ॥३॥
Mila▫o gupāl nīsān bajā▫ī. ||3||
I will meet with my Lord by the beat of the drum. ||3||
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1244, Line 6
ਲਸਕਰ ਸਣੈ ਦਮਾਮਿਆ ਛੁਟੇ ਬੰਕ ਦੁਆਰ ॥
लसकर सणै दमामिआ छुटे बंक दुआर ॥
Laskar saṇai ḏamāmi▫ā cẖẖute bank ḏu▫ār.
They must leave their armies and drums, and their beautiful mansions.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1368, Line 14
ਕਬੀਰ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਆਪਨੀ ਦਿਨ ਦਸ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਜਾਇ ॥
कबीर नउबति आपनी दिन दस लेहु बजाइ ॥
Kabīr na▫ubaṯ āpnī ḏin ḏas leho bajā▫e.
Kabeer, take your drum and beat it for ten days.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1370, Line 9
ਕਬੀਰ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਹਉ ਫਿਰਿਓ ਮਾਂਦਲੁ ਕੰਧ ਚਢਾਇ ॥
कबीर सभु जगु हउ फिरिओ मांदलु कंध चढाइ ॥
Kabīr sabẖ jag ha▫o firi▫o māʼnḏal kanḏẖ cẖadẖā▫e.
Kabeer, I have wandered all over the world, carrying the drum on my shoulder.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1376, Line 16
ਮਨੁ ਜੰਜਾਲੁ ਨ ਛੋਡਈ ਜਮ ਦੀਆ ਦਮਾਮਾ ਆਇ ॥੨੨੭॥
मनु जंजालु न छोडई जम दीआ दमामा आइ ॥२२७॥
Man janjāl na cẖẖod▫ī jam ḏī▫ā ḏamāmā ā▫e. ||227||
The mortal does not give up his worldly entanglements; the Messenger of Death walks in and beats the drum. ||227||
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1380, Line 4
ਪਾਸਿ ਦਮਾਮੇ ਛਤੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਭੇਰੀ ਸਡੋ ਰਡ ॥
पासि दमामे छतु सिरि भेरी सडो रड ॥
Pās ḏamāme cẖẖaṯ sir bẖerī sado rad.
Drums were beaten in their honor, there were canopies above their heads, and bugles announced their coming.
Sekh Farid - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Page 1382, Line 2
ਨਉਬਤਿ ਵਜੀ ਸੁਬਹ ਸਿਉ ਚਲਣ ਕਾ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਜੁ ॥੭੯॥
नउबति वजी सुबह सिउ चलण का करि साजु ॥७९॥
Na▫ubaṯ vajī subah si▫o cẖalaṇ kā kar sāj. ||79||
The morning drums are beating - get ready to leave! ||79||
Sekh Farid - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oct 18, 2012
SOUND OF BELL

Page 476, Line 14
ਨਕਟੀ ਕੋ ਠਨਗਨੁ ਬਾਡਾ ਡੂੰ ॥
नकटी को ठनगनु बाडा डूं ॥
Naktī ko ṯẖangan bādā dūʼn.
The bell of the shameless queen, Maya, rings in both worlds.
Devotee Kabir - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 368, Line 7
ਕਬ ਕੋ ਭਾਲੈ ਘੁੰਘਰੂ ਤਾਲਾ ਕਬ ਕੋ ਬਜਾਵੈ ਰਬਾਬੁ ॥
कब को भालै घुंघरू ताला कब को बजावै रबाबु ॥
Kab ko bẖālai gẖungẖrū ṯālā kab ko bajāvai rabāb.
How long must one search for angle bells and cymbals, and how long must one play the guitar?
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 873, Line 13
ਨਾਦ ਭ੍ਰਮੇ ਜੈਸੇ ਮਿਰਗਾਏ ॥
नाद भ्रमे जैसे मिरगाए ॥
Nāḏ bẖarame jaise mirgā▫e.
The deer is lured by the sound of the hunter's bell;
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 1231, Line 4
ਉਪਜਤਾ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਦੁੰਦਰ ਨਉਪਰੀ ਝੁਨੰਤਕਾਰ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਅਨਿਗ ਭਾਉ ਕਰਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਧੋਹੇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
उपजता बिकार दुंदर नउपरी झुनंतकार सुंदर अनिग भाउ करत फिरत बिनु गोपाल धोहे ॥ रहाउ ॥
Upjaṯā bikār ḏunḏar na▫uparī jẖunanṯkār sunḏar anig bẖā▫o karaṯ firaṯ bin gopāl ḏẖohe. Rahā▫o.
The disturbing noise of corruption wells up, in the tinkling ankle bells of Maya the beautiful. With her beguiling gestures of love, she seduces everyone except the Lord. ||Pause
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 237, Line 4
ਸਹਜੇ ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣਕਾਰੁ ਸੁਹਾਇਆ ॥
सहजे रुण झुणकारु सुहाइआ ॥
Sėhje ruṇ jẖuṇkār suhā▫i▫ā.
In peace and poise, the celestial bells resound.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 349, Line 17
ਤਾਲ ਮਦੀਰੇ ਘਟ ਕੇ ਘਾਟ ॥
ताल मदीरे घट के घाट ॥
Ŧāl maḏīre gẖat ke gẖāt.
The urges of the heart are like cymbals and ankle-bells;
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Page 356, Line 15
ਘੁੰਘਰੂ ਵਾਜੈ ਜੇ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗੈ ॥
घुंघरू वाजै जे मनु लागै ॥
Gẖungẖrū vājai je man lāgai.
You shall hear the vibrations of the tinkling bells, when your mind is held steady.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Hearing the sound of bells and drums is quite common in hindu meditation.
Many references are made to these sounds in gurbani because of this.

However as a sikh we are not to focus on the sounds or melodies but the actual vibration of the anhad shabad within.
When someone can meditate deep enough these sounds can be felt and heard along with other vibrations.

From what I gather, In naam simran meditation, the focus is to feel the vibration of the shabad or 'waheguru' within and not pay attention to the distractions.

You should try and mantain your focus just on the simran alone.

The bells and drum sounds to me are about being a part of deep meditation.
I don't think they are part of sikh or anything you should relate to gurmat avastha as such.

I know for a fact that other non-sikhs that meditate can also hear these sounds as there are many mentions in hippy rock songs influenced by meditation like Kula shaker..etc..

I think the best way to look at it is,as a confirmation, meaning that when you hear and feel sounds and vibrations then you know you are doing meditation in the correct manner.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2012
Hearing the sound of bells and drums is quite common in hindu meditation.
Many references are made to these sounds in gurbani because of this.

However as a sikh we are not to focus on the sounds or melodies but the actual vibration of the anhad shabad within.
When someone can meditate deep enough these sounds can be felt and heard along with other vibrations.

From what I gather, In naam simran meditation, the focus is to feel the vibration of the shabad or 'waheguru' within and not pay attention to the distractions.

You should try and mantain your focus just on the simran alone.

The bells and drum sounds to me are about being a part of deep meditation.
I don't think they are part of sikh or anything you should relate to gurmat avastha as such.

I know for a fact that other non-sikhs that meditate can also hear these sounds as there are many mentions in hippy rock songs influenced by meditation like Kula shaker..etc..

I think the best way to look at it is,as a confirmation, meaning that when you hear and feel sounds and vibrations then you know you are doing meditation in the correct manner.

dear ji
melodies indicates where you had reached in meditation are you still wondering at points below the eyes, the body or already reach above the eyes and beyond. it is the best indicator

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The thread is closed. It is very important to respect Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji by discussing what the shabad is revealing, not what we would like it to say. The only way to do that is by posting an entire shabad and providing a vichaar of it meaning. This is a forum rule.

As in other threads that have become difficult recently, parts of a shabad are posted, and the OP makes it sound as if the discussion will be about a certain topic. In this case "melodies" as mentioned in the shabads. The discussion then turns to something else. For example,

dear ji
melodies indicates where you had reached in meditation are you still wondering at points below the eyes, the body or already reach above the eyes and beyond. it is the best indicator

It is time to rethink the promoting of agendas, however innocent our intentions may be. None of the tuks, nor their shabads, in the OP, are about the above, which seems to be more about meditation practices. Any discussion of meditational practices, including the vedic sciences that have given rise to them or support them, has no place in a discussion of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not the culmination of hundreds of years of Vedas and Upanishads.

Thoughts along these lines are better posted on yoga forums or Hindu forums. Perhaps a cooling off period will be beneficial. For now consider what I have said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM