• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meeting The Holy

Jan 18, 2011
The true teaching of SGGS.

Here I quote the full shabad

ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ||
This human body has been given to youਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ||
This is your chance to meet the lord.ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ||
Nothing else shall work.ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ||੧||
Go to the sangat of a saadh, the company of the holy and meditate on the jewel of the Naam.ਸਰੰਜਾਮਿ ਲਾਗੁ ਭਵਜਲ ਤਰਨ ਕੈ ||
Make every effort to cross over this world-oceanਜਨਮੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਜਾਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ||
This life is being squandered in the love of Maya.ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਕਮਾਇਆ||
I have not practised meditation, self restraint, self-discipline or righteous living.ਸੇਵਾ ਸਾਧ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ||
I have not served the saadh, the holy nor have I acknowledged the Lord.ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਮ ਨੀਚ ਕਰੰਮਾ||
Says Nanak, my actions are contemptible!ਸਰਣ ਪਰੇ ਕਿ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਸਰਮਾ|| ੨||੪||

O Guru, I seek your shelter, please preserve my Honour.

Now pertaining to the thought of how can one meditate on the Naam of the Lord, we don’t have to go far away. In this very shabad guru sahib has said

ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ||੧||
Go to the sangat of a saadh, the company of the holy and meditate on the jewel of the Naam.

In this shabad also we can see the use of the word saadh or the holy men. If one truly is a seeker and wants to achieve his ultimate aim in life he/she will be compelled to find a saadh, accept his sangat, see if the saadh is as per the guidelines mentioned in SGGS and then accept the saadh as his spiritual teacher and walk the path of the saints.

Every man is a potential God. Be it a thief or anyone from any religion. Naam is within all of us but we need an external source of light to light this lamp or jot within our body and that external source is someone who has that lamp already lit within himself.

Now, we egoistic people think that who can teach us, who can show us the path, we will ourselves see the path. This is nothing but our ego which stands between the Lord and us. In another shabad guru sahib say on Ang 293

ਸੰਤਸੰਗਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਡੀਠਾ||

In the society of the saint, I saw the God.

ਨਾਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਕਾ ਲਾਗਾ ਮੀਠਾ||

Now, after being in the company of the saint, Lords name appears sweet to me.

ਸਗਲ ਸਮਿਗ੍ਰੀ ਏਕਸੁ ਘਟ ਮਾਹਿ||

All things (Everything) is within this one body.

ਅਨਿਕ ਰੰਗ ਨਾਨਾ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਹਿ||

Although they appear in so many colours (Vast).

ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਨਾਮ||

Everything is contained in the Naam of the Lord even the nine treasures.

ਦੇਹਿ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ||

This Naam resides within the body nowhere else.

ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਨਹਤ ਤਹ ਨਾਦ||

In the deepest samadhi, the soul experiences the unstruck sound.

ਕਹਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਅਚਰਜ ਬਿਸਮਾਦ||

It cannot be described, it is wonderfully surprising.

ਤਿਨਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਜਿਸੁ ਆਪਿ ਦਿਖਾਏ||

It can be seen by those unto whom the god reveals it.

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਏ||

O Nanak, who see it he knows it.

The first line of this shabad say that in the company of the saints, Lord can be seen within.

One who has attained oneness with the almighty can guide someone else, how to be one with the almighty.

But to identify a true saint we can refer back to the SGGS, SGGS bears the testimony of a true saint.

In another shabad Fifth Guru Sahib says

ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਜਪੇ ਮਨੁ ਧੀਰੇ||੧|| ਰਹਾਓ ||

Chanting and meditating on the Lord, the mind is held steady.

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੁਰਦੋਉ ਮਿਟਿ ਗਏ ਭੈ ਦੂਰੇ||੧||

Meditating, Meditating in remembrance on the Divine Guru, one's fears are erased and dispelled.

ਸਰਨਿ ਆਵੈ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕੀ ਤਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਕਾਹੇ ਝੂਰੇ||੨||

Entering the sanctuary of the supreme Lord God, how could anyone feel grief any longer?

ਚਰਨ ਸੇਵ ਸੰਤ ਸਾਧ ਕੇ ਸਗਲ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਪੂਰੇ ||੩||

Serving at the feet of the holy saints, all desires are fulfilled.

ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਏਕੁ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਪੂਰੇ||੪||

In each and every heart, the one lord is pervading. he is totally permeating the water, the land and the sky.

ਪਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ||੫||

I serve the destroyer of the sin, and i am sacrificed by the dust of the feet of the saints

ਸਭ ਛਡਾਈ ਖਸਮਿ ਆਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਭਈ ਠਰੂਰੇ||੬||

My lord and master himself has saved me completely, I am comforted by meditating on the name of the lord

ਕਰਤੈ ਕੀਆ ਤਪਾਵਸੋ ਦੁਸਟ ਮੁਏ ਹੋਇ ਮੂਰੇ||੭||

The Creator has passed the judgement and the evil-doers have been silenced and killed.

ਨਾਨਕ ਰਤਾ ਸਚਿ ਨਾਇ ਹਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਸਦਾ ਹਜੂਰੇ||੮||੫||੩੯||੧||੩੨||੧||੫||੩੯||

Nanak is attuned to the True Naam and beholds the presence of the ever present Lord.

In this shabad Guru Sahib has made a mention of the saints too

Serving at the feet of the holy saints, all desires are fulfilled

And

Just like to learn mathematics or any other science we need to find a teacher of this science who himself knows of the science and can teach us the same. The first teacher (Guru) in our life was or parents who taught us walk/speak/eat. So a man needs a helping hand at every stage of life but the irony is that he thinks that the most complex of all subjects (Spirituality/God realisation) can be learnt without the help of the teacher.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Go to the sangat of a saadh, the company of the holy and meditate on the jewel of the Naam.ਸਰੰਜਾਮਿ ਲਾਗੁ ਭਵਜਲ ਤਰਨ ਕੈ ||
Make every effort to cross over this world-oceanਜਨਮੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਜਾਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ||
I have not practised meditation, self restraint, self-discipline or righteous living.ਸੇਵਾ ਸਾਧ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ||
I have not served the saadh, the holy nor have I acknowledged the Lord.ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਮ ਨੀਚ ਕਰੰਮਾ||

Now pertaining to the thought of how can one meditate on the Naam of the Lord, we don’t have to go far away. In this very shabad guru sahib has said

Go to the sangat of a saadh, the company of the holy and meditate on the jewel of the Naam.

In this shabad also we can see the use of the word saadh or the holy men. If one truly is a seeker and wants to achieve his ultimate aim in life he/she will be compelled to find a saadh, accept his sangat, see if the saadh is as per the guidelines mentioned in SGGS and then accept the saadh as his spiritual teacher and walk the path of the saints.

Every man is a potential God. Be it a thief or anyone from any religion. Naam is within all of us but we need an external source of light to light this lamp or jot within our body and that external source is someone who has that lamp already lit within himself.

Now, we egoistic people think that who can teach us, who can show us the path, we will ourselves see the path. This is nothing but our ego which stands between the Lord and us. In another shabad guru sahib say on Ang 293

ਦੇਹਿ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ||

ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਨਹਤ ਤਹ ਨਾਦ||

ਕਹਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਅਚਰਜ ਬਿਸਮਾਦ||

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਏ||

The first line of this shabad say that in the company of the saints, Lord can be seen within.

One who has attained oneness with the almighty can guide someone else, how to be one with the almighty.

But to identify a true saint we can refer back to the SGGS, SGGS bears the testimony of a true saint.

Meditating, Meditating in remembrance on the Divine Guru, one's fears are erased and dispelled.

Entering the sanctuary of the supreme Lord God, how could anyone feel grief any longer?

In each and every heart, the one lord is pervading. he is totally permeating the water, the land and the sky.

I serve the destroyer of the sin, and i am sacrificed by the dust of the feet of the saints

My lord and master himself has saved me completely, I am comforted by meditating on the name of the lord

The Creator has passed the judgement and the evil-doers have been silenced and killed.

Nanak is attuned to the True Naam and beholds the presence of the ever present Lord.

And

Just like to learn mathematics or any other science we need to find a teacher of this science who himself knows of the science and can teach us the same. The first teacher (Guru) in our life was or parents who taught us walk/speak/eat. So a man needs a helping hand at every stage of life but the irony is that he thinks that the most complex of all subjects (Spirituality/God realisation) can be learnt without the help of the teacher.

Nirmaljot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Please share with us if you have found your teacher and who s/he is. And also what have you learnt from this teacher in what way so we can learn from you?

Thanks & Regards

Tejwant Singh

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

ਦੇਹਿ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ||

ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਨਹਤ ਤਹ ਨਾਦ||

ਕਹਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਅਚਰਜ ਬਿਸਮਾਦ||

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਏ||

And

I happen to agree with you mostly...

but i don't believe we need to go out there and find someone who has become what Gurbani describes...this opens us up to the fake ones...

i believe if we a very serious truth seekers....our destiny will allow us to cross paths with one (saint, brahmgiani, true khalsa)....if it is deemed a necessity by waheguru for advancement of our spiritual growth...it will just happen as if by co-incidence.

Jan 18, 2011

but i don't believe we need to go out there and find someone who has become what Gurbani describes...this opens us up to the fake ones...

i believe if we a very serious truth seekers....our destiny will allow us to cross paths with one (saint, brahmgiani, true khalsa)....if it is deemed a necessity by waheguru for advancement of our spiritual growth...it will just happen as if by co-incidence.

Cannot agree with you more because that’s what guru sahib have said in SGGS. My telling anyone about the saint or saadh that I have met won’t build that trust or faith in anyone’s mind.

Now this is what Guru Sahib have said

ਟਹਲ ਕਰਹੁ ਤਉ ਏਕ ਕੀ ਜਾ ਤੇ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਨਾ ਕੋਇ ||

Serve that one true lord who resides everywhere.

ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਹੀਐ ਬਸੈ ਜੋ ਚਾਹਹੁ ਸੋ ਹੋਇ ||

When the lord abides in our heart, body and mouth whatever you desire shall come to pass.

ਟਹਲ ਮਹਲ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ||

But only he can serve the true lord unto whom the Holy saadh is compassionate.

ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਤਉ ਬਸੈ ਜਉ ਆਪਨ ਹੋਹਿ ਦਇਆਲ ||

But one gets the company of the Holy only when the Lord himself shows his mercy on us, when he wants us to be taken out of this world of Maya.

ਟੋਹੇ ਟਾਹੇ ਬਹੁ ਭਵਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ||

I have searched many many places, without Naam one cannot attain peace.

ਟਲਹਿ ਜਾਮ ਕੇ ਦੂਤ ਤਿਹ ਜੁ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਮਾਹਿ ||

Even the Messenger of death cannot touch those who have obtained the company of the Holy.

ਬਾਰਿ ਬਾਰਿ ਜਾਉ ਸੰਤ ਸਦਕੇ ||

I am a sacrifice to such a true saint or saadh.

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਾਪ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ਕਦਿ ਕੇ ||੨੭||

In the company of whom my everlasting sins have been destroyed.

A person with no eyes cannot catch the one with the eyes until and unless the person with the eyes wants to be caught. So even my telling someone who a true saint or saadh is, is going to be of no use. But yes, the true Saint manifests himself to the true seeker, according to the destiny or the mercy of the Lord Almighty.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Nirmaljot Ji, please remember to add the number of the ang whenever quoting Gurbani so we may read the surrounding bania, too. Thank you :)

Jan 18, 2011
Nirmaljot Ji, please remember to add the number of the ang whenever quoting Gurbani so we may read the surrounding bania, too. Thank you :)
Ishna ji, here are the ang number of the first post starting from top to bottom ੧੨,੨੯੩, ੧੩੨ (12,293,132). The shabad that is used in the second post is on ang number 255.
You are most Welcome.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Do you mean that "saint, brahmgiani, true khalsa" are some other people not us who are capable of the same traits?

Would you be kind enough to share your above understanding through Gurbani from the SGGS, our only Guru?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Jan 18, 2011

Hello Ishna Ji,

Its been a long time since i shared the Ang numbers of the Gurbani used, i hope you must have read the surrounding Bani by now. Please share your thoughts.

Regards
Nirmaljot Singh Baidwan.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM