• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meeting Other New Converts 2 Sikhi

Aug 24, 2007
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. I am a convert from Islam/Catholic, haha. I know - Mother is Muslim, Dad Is Catholic, anyways I have been following all the rules and getting ready to take Amrit, I go to a local Gurdwara at Wiliams Lake B.C Canada, where there are many other Gursikhs but they are all indian and born into sikhi, I have only once meet one other converted Sikh but didn't get to talk much. I can't seem to find any other converts online to talk to, who understands what converting to sikhi is like. its even hard meeting other youth who are into sikhi as well. Sometimes it gets lonely I guess because I wear a Dastaar and I have fair skin so I get alot of looks which when I explan to other indian born sikhs they don't understand. so I was just wondering how others deal wit it and wat are somethings to do. I have been trying to get some other converted sikhs to come up here from the 3HO in Vancouver but I got no word from them. thanks for ur time . Satnam Singh Khalsa :)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Welcome Satnam Singh Khalsa!

I am not in very good position to answer your queries as I am not new Convert But yes we have couple of new converts on this forum so you can expect quite new suggestions and ideas coming your way soon

Take Care

Jatinder Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satnam ji

I will be happy to talk to you. Send me a private message and we can figure out what to talk about. Maybe even consider a new thread about this. Also check a recent post by Soul_Jyot called "My Spiritual Awakening" -- it is always a matter of feeling new and fresh whether you are a convert or re-thinking who you are spiritually. There are many similarities. And even people who are born into Sikhi rediscover themselves and Sikhism during their lives if they are taking their souls seriously.

Sat Nam back to you.

Aug 24, 2007
WJKK WJKF, that sounds so great, and yes I will for sure, I wish I could meet others though it would be cool I guess, there's a Yoga place with other converts in vancouver a 7 hour drive from here but maybe I will go down there, but I just feel different because they have a few different views on sikhism and I don't do yoga, so I don't have a clue how to go about that :S I know it sounds silly but As I said before my sangat is all Punjabi Born Sikhs . any help ? haha Thanks

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Well I haven't been to my local Gurdwara yet, it is %100 Punjabi; trying to learn some Punjabi before I go. But it will be akward for me, as I am not 20, but an older mature person.
Maybe go to Kaurs United Camp, it looked very inspiring.

Aug 24, 2007
Thanks Future Kaur. But u shouldn't feel shy around other sikhs who are punjabi at your gurdwara there are very very nice people and there will for sure be people who speak english ! try and see its very important to go to the gurdwara even though there are no other converts here I still go to service and aevents and I go everyday to the gurdwara and do a few hours of serva which is very imporant. tc and talk to you soon.:)

ProjectNaad

SPNer
Sep 4, 2007
Satnam folks,

for all the new sikhs out there...try and see if you folks can set up a sikh discussion forum.

We started a forum about 5 years ago in the UK and we have most of the stuff we created for those workshops in the tools section of ProjectNaad...This is the first attempt at creating a Sikh "Alpha" course

Tools | Project Naad :: Infinity in Simplicity

Here is a document which provides a blueprint for these types of open discussion forums. This seva is really fun to do and a great way for new sikhs and othe people to learn about sikhism!

http://www.projectnaad.com/wp-content/uploads/tools/discussion_workshop_set_up_guidelines.pdf

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. I am a convert from Islam/Catholic haha I know what the heck Mother is Muslim, Dad Is Catholic, anyways I have been following all the rules and getting ready to take Amrit, I go to a local Gurdwara in Wiliams Lake B.C Canada, where there are many other Gursikhs but they are all indian and born into sikhi, I have only once meet one other converted Sikh but didn't get to talk much. I can't seem to find any other converts online to talk to, who understands what converting to sikhi is like. its even hard meeting other youth who are into sikhi as well. Sometimes it gets lonely I guess because I wear a Dastaar and I have fair skin so I get alot of looks which when I explan to other indian born sikhs they don't understand. so I was just wondering how others deal wit it and wat are somethings to do. I have been trying to get some other converted sikhs to come up here from the 3HO in Vancouver but I got no word from them. thanks for ur time . Satnam Singh Khalsa :)

WGJKK, WGJKF.

I'm a 17 year old male (birhtday to be 17 is in like 5 days) and i converted to sikhi a month or 2 qgo. my only advice is to watch out for Yogi Bhajan. One his real title is very long and over bearing, and a bit new age-y. plus also he teaches kundalini toga, a hindu system.

As we see in SGGS, we learn that we shoudl not be practicng yoga for the goal of Moksha, that only love of Naam will liberate us.

SSA.

ProjectNaad

SPNer
Sep 4, 2007
wjkk wjkf,

i have personally learnt many things from yogi bhajan's lectures and I do feel that he is an amazing sikh saint. I came into sikhism through his explantaions of sikhism and i know many non-indian sikhs came in to sikhims through this route.

There are many routes to moksha but the easiest and the best by far is Naam. But thats not to say that Sikhs can't enjoy Kundalini Yoga...i now that after a hard days work the basic pranayam (breahting) exercises which I have learnt help to renergise my body and give me the strength to do my Naam simran...

blessings and love

P

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
wjkk wjkf,

i have personally learnt many things from yogi bhajan's lectures and I do feel that he is an amazing sikh saint. I came into sikhism through his explantaions of sikhism and i know many non-indian sikhs came in to sikhims through this route.

There are many routes to moksha but the easiest and the best by far is Naam. But thats not to say that Sikhs can't enjoy Kundalini Yoga...i now that after a hard days work the basic pranayam (breahting) exercises which I have learnt help to renergise my body and give me the strength to do my Naam simran...

blessings and love

P
Then what do you make of:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scrupulous Jains and hosts of Siddhs, ascetic yogis - I have seen them all.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Warriors and demons, gods who drink amrit, devout believers in a multitude of doctrines.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] All these have I witnessed as I traveled the world, yet never a true follower of the Lord.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Without the love and grace of God their devotion is trivial, worthless, lost. (1)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Saviaya opening verses)[/FONT]

Further:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What benefit comes from endless meditation, from sitting like cranes with both eyes closed?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] One may piously bathe in all seven oceans and yet lose everything here and hereafter.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Some spend their lives deep in the jungle, wasting their years in useless endeavor.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is all from Saviaya.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And more:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only hyms from the 10 Satgur's are true (as mentioned in Anand Sahib)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And in jap-ji Sahib we see that by keeping fasts, and using yogic postures and breathing, we not come closer to God. What is the point of yoga then, if it's just good for our body? why not jog or do normal excersize?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please enlighten this manmukh if I have been wrong..
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2007
waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

hi Satnam (beautiful name, by the way)! i'm also a convert, and i also found that the only other sikh converts in my area were at yoga classes (not my thing :) ).

i attend a "normal" punjabi gurdwara, there are also some hindus who attend, i have great hopes that at least one of them is on the path to converting to sikhism so i'll have another convert friend. :D

i know it's hard to find people to talk to who "get" where you're coming from. my fiance is punjabi, and it's hard sometimes because things he takes for granted are things that are totally unfamiliar to me.

anyway, just wanted to let you know that i'm here too if you want to chat or if you need any resources. i have quite a collection of english language resources for sikhs.

i had researched sikhism for a couple of years but only decided to convert in January after a week of amrit vela meditation at Darbar Sahib.

i have not yet taken amrit but am hoping to do so soon, with Guru's grace. :)

it's good to "meet" you. i honestly think sikhism would be an incredibly popular religion with westerners if only people knew more about it. :)

gurfateh!

-kelly

Apr 4, 2007
i think yoga is fine, but it doesn't have anything to do with sikhi. as long as people understand that, ok. but from what i have seen of Harbhajan Singh's followers, they seem to think yoga is PART of sikhi, which is wrong.

also the rehet is totally different from panthic rehet, which is a big flashing warning sign to me.

i am a sikh of Guru Gobind Singh ji, not of any godman or baba. i mean, why fix what isn't broken? :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Further at a 3HO website it says:

" Kriya of the Month
For Balancing Head and Heart
This set takes only fifteen minutes and it can make you strong and balanced: You can become a successful, Aquarian person. "

Link: Yoga 3HO Foundation Kundalini Yoga Classes

What kind of Sikh believes in astrology?

He also teaches "White tantric yoga".

Info: WTY Home

As a Tiebatn Buddhist (tantric in nature) yoga has NOTHING to do with Tantra. In fact, the word yoga when referring to the Nyingmapa system of Maha, anu and Ati-yogas is Khilya Korsum. Even then it is not anythign like hindu yoga. It invovles beps (controlled falls) and clearing of winds and channels, and manly visualization.

In the newer tantric schools fouded by principally Atisha, the Inner tantras are collectifed as Anuttara yoga, and in the Kagyu-pa school of Marpa the translator, his dsiciple, Naropa, codifed the major Anuttarayoga teachings from the cycles of the Heruka Chakrasamvara into his "six yogas". That is as far as you will get with yogic postures. Once into anuyoga (as defined in Nyingma, not the Sarma schools liek kagyu, sakya, and geluk) you bno longer use physical postures. In fact, mahayoga only deals with 4-5 tigle, and not 7-8 like in Hinduism.

I have no idea what this yogi Bhajan guy is doing, but whatever it is, it is NOT real tantra.

He looks and probably is a fraud to me.

Apr 4, 2007
actually, i think he made up "white tantric" yoga. :) i have read that he used to use yoga for personal power, this is against sikhi, so he invented "white tantric" yoga to emphasize the non-threatening aspect of it (kind of like white magic vs black magic i guess).

either way, it's not sikhi. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
actually, i think he made up "white tantric" yoga. :) i have read that he used to use yoga for personal power, this is against sikhi, so he invented "white tantric" yoga to emphasize the non-threatening aspect of it (kind of like white magic vs black magic i guess).

either way, it's not sikhi. :)
Agreed.

It is the self willed manmukh that comes and goes in reincarnation.

ProjectNaad

SPNer
Sep 4, 2007
vjkk vjkf,

Great question Sherab bro and I will try and answer the best I can:

Sikhism is a spiritual movement which doesn’t say that you should or shouldn’t do yoga, should or shouldn’t dance, should or shouldn’t do fasting, should or shouldn’t meditate, should or shouldn’t earn lots of money etc. Sikhism simply says that you can do all the above if you like but if you forget God then the above will give you nothing and you will have wasted your life.

Quote 1:
Scrupulous Jains and hosts of Siddhs, ascetic yogis - I have seen them all.
Warriors and demons, gods who drink amrit, devout believers in a multitude of doctrines.
All these have I witnessed as I traveled the world, yet never a true follower of the Lord.
Without the love and grace of God their devotion is trivial, worthless, lost. (1)

If you take the opposite of the above statement then you get: With the love and grace of God their devotion is fruitful and worthy even as a Jain, Siddh, ascetic yogi, warrior, demon drinking amrit, and devout believers of multiple doctrines.

Quote 2:
What benefit comes from endless meditation, from sitting like cranes with both eyes closed?
One may piously bathe in all seven oceans and yet lose everything here and hereafter.
Some spend their lives deep in the jungle, wasting their years in useless endeavor.

Again Sikhism says that nothing equals the power of a prayer from the heart. Yoga Bhajan was asked what the difference between prayer and meditation was and Yogi Ji said that in meditation we try and reach God but with prayer God comes to us. All the things mentioned in quote 2 are effort based. However Sikhism teaches that all our efforts wil play a small part in the grand scheme of our spiritual evolution because as we walk one step towards the Guru…the Guru will walk millions of steps towards us.

Statement 1:
And in jap-ji Sahib we see that by keeping fasts, and using yogic postures and breathing, we not come closer to God. What is the point of yoga then, if it's just good for our body? why not jog or do normal excersize?

There is no doubt that these things can increase our ego because we think we have spiritual knowledge and reward us with very little if anything and as always you may prefer to do TaiChi, Thai boxing, jogging, weight training, wing chun instead of Kundalini Yoga. But remember this is a personal choice and not a religious ruling.

General comments regarding Yoga
Yoga in the true sense of the word means “Union” with the divine and so Sikhism should be regarded as the correct approach to Yoga or union with God. Sikhism contains a number of different approaches to yoga such as
1)Karma yoga which is also known as seva
2)Bhakti yoga which is also known as keertan
3)Jnana yoga which is also know as self inquiry and Vicharr or Katha
4)Naad Yoga which is gurbani sung in the traditional raags
5)Jaapa Yoga which is Nitnem

More Gurbani Quotes

“He is not affected by actions, responsibilities and entanglements; in the
entanglements of his household, he maintains the detachment of Yoga. ||5||
He renounces sexual desire, anger, egotism, greed, attachment and Maya.
Within his mind, he meditates on the reality of the Imperishable Lord; by
Guru's Grace he finds Him. ||6|| Spiritual wisdom and meditation are all said
to be God's gifts; all of the demons are turned white before him.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 503)

“This is not Yoga, O Yogi, to abandon your family and wander around. The
Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is within the household of the body. By Guru's
Grace, you shall find your Lord God. ||8||This world is a puppet of clay, Yogi;
the terrible disease, the desire for Maya is in it. Making all sorts of efforts,
and wearing religious robes, Yogi, this disease cannot be cured. ||9||The
Name of the Lord is the medicine, Yogi; the Lord enshrines it in the mind. One
who becomes Gurmukh understands this; he alone finds the Way of Yoga.
||10||The Path of Yoga is very difficult, Yogi; he alone finds it, whom God
blesses with His Grace. Inside and outside, he sees the One Lord; he eliminates
doubt from within himself. ||11||So play the harp which vibrates without
being played, Yogi. Says Nanak, thus you shall be liberated, Yogi, and remain
merged in the True Lord. ||12||1||10||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 909)

“Yoga is not the patched coat, Yoga is not the walking stick. Yoga is not
smearing the body with ashes. Yoga is not the ear-rings, and not the shaven
head. Yoga is not the blowing of the horn. Remaining unblemished in the midst
of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||1|| By mere words,
Yoga is not attained. One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows
them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. ||1||Pause||Yoga
is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances. Yoga
is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines
of pilgrimage. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world -
this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is
dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained. Nectar rains down, celestial
music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained. Remaining unblemished
in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||3||O
Nanak, remain dead while yet alive - practice such a Yoga.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 730)

“If Yoga could be obtained by wandering around naked, then all the deer of
the forest would be liberated. ||1|| What does it matter whether someone
goes naked, or wears a deer skin, if he does not remember the Lord within his
soul? ||1||Pause|| If the spiritual perfection of the Siddhas could be obtained
by shaving the head, then why haven't sheep found liberation? ||2|| If
someone could save himself by celibacy, O Siblings of Destiny, why then
haven't eunuchs obtained the state of supreme dignity? ||3|| Says Kabeer,
listen, O men, O Siblings of Destiny: without the Lord's Name, who has ever
found salvation? ||4||4||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 324)

One Last Point
There is no doubt that Yogi Bhajan has helped to spread the light of Sikhism to many people throughout the world and some of his Sikhs who follow Sikhism today are doing so because of the service and seva which he did for humanity. The Kundlaini Yoga that is practiced by 3HO’ers is very much the Sikh style using Gurmantras and we need to remember that this is an excellent path for spiritual people from al walks of life to have their first experience of Sikh spirituality….so lets keep this path open and welcome all the people who join the dharma through this path

extracted and adapted from the following complete article: http://www.projectnaad.com/wp-content/uploads/leaflets/sikhism_yoga_and_sexuality.pdf

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
vjkk vjkf,

Great question Sherab bro and I will try and answer the best I can:

Sikhism is a spiritual movement which doesn’t say that you should or shouldn’t do yoga, should or shouldn’t dance, should or shouldn’t do fasting, should or shouldn’t meditate, should or shouldn’t earn lots of money etc. Sikhism simply says that you can do all the above if you like but if you forget God then the above will give you nothing and you will have wasted your life.

Quote 1:
Scrupulous Jains and hosts of Siddhs, ascetic yogis - I have seen them all.
Warriors and demons, gods who drink amrit, devout believers in a multitude of doctrines.
All these have I witnessed as I traveled the world, yet never a true follower of the Lord.
Without the love and grace of God their devotion is trivial, worthless, lost. (1)

If you take the opposite of the above statement then you get: With the love and grace of God their devotion is fruitful and worthy even as a Jain, Siddh, ascetic yogi, warrior, demon drinking amrit, and devout believers of multiple doctrines.

And why would we take that verse in reverse? (no pun intended). If it is what Guru Nanak Dev meant, he would of oput it in reverse himself, right?

Quote 2:
What benefit comes from endless meditation, from sitting like cranes with both eyes closed?
One may piously bathe in all seven oceans and yet lose everything here and hereafter.
Some spend their lives deep in the jungle, wasting their years in useless endeavor.

Again Sikhism says that nothing equals the power of a prayer from the heart. Yoga Bhajan was asked what the difference between prayer and meditation was and Yogi Ji said that in meditation we try and reach God but with prayer God comes to us. All the things mentioned in quote 2 are effort based. However Sikhism teaches that all our efforts wil play a small part in the grand scheme of our spiritual evolution because as we walk one step towards the Guru…the Guru will walk millions of steps towards us.

[b[ and is yoga such as kundalini yoga NOT meditation with asana? [/b]

Statement 1:
And in jap-ji Sahib we see that by keeping fasts, and using yogic postures and breathing, we not come closer to God. What is the point of yoga then, if it's just good for our body? why not jog or do normal excersize?

There is no doubt that these things can increase our ego because we think we have spiritual knowledge and reward us with very little if anything and as always you may prefer to do TaiChi, Thai boxing, jogging, weight training, wing chun instead of Kundalini Yoga. But remember this is a personal choice and not a religious ruling.

But Kundalini yoga is there for a spiritual purpose - to rise up the male and female energies through the central channel.

General comments regarding Yoga
Yoga in the true sense of the word means “Union” with the divine and so Sikhism should be regarded as the correct approach to Yoga or union with God. Sikhism contains a number of different approaches to yoga such as
1)Karma yoga which is also known as seva
2)Bhakti yoga which is also known as keertan
3)Jnana yoga which is also know as self inquiry and Vicharr or Katha
4)Naad Yoga which is gurbani sung in the traditional raags
5)Jaapa Yoga which is Nitnem

Yoga means "a training" in the snese of training yourself to change, tto become like _______. Also the idea of Karma, Bhakti, etc. yogas is found in Hinduism, not Sikhi. As for approaches to "yoga" why mention the term yoga at all?

it sounds to hindu-fied for me.

More Gurbani Quotes

“He is not affected by actions, responsibilities and entanglements; in the
entanglements of his household, he maintains the detachment of Yoga. ||5||
He renounces sexual desire, anger, egotism, greed, attachment and Maya.
Within his mind, he meditates on the reality of the Imperishable Lord; by
Guru's Grace he finds Him. ||6|| Spiritual wisdom and meditation are all said
to be God's gifts; all of the demons are turned white before him.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 503)

“This is not Yoga, O Yogi, to abandon your family and wander around. The
Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is within the household of the body. By Guru's
Grace, you shall find your Lord God. ||8||This world is a puppet of clay, Yogi;
the terrible disease, the desire for Maya is in it. Making all sorts of efforts,
and wearing religious robes, Yogi, this disease cannot be cured. ||9||The
Name of the Lord is the medicine, Yogi; the Lord enshrines it in the mind. One
who becomes Gurmukh understands this; he alone finds the Way of Yoga.
||10||The Path of Yoga is very difficult, Yogi; he alone finds it, whom God
blesses with His Grace. Inside and outside, he sees the One Lord; he eliminates
doubt from within himself. ||11||So play the harp which vibrates without
being played, Yogi. Says Nanak, thus you shall be liberated, Yogi, and remain
merged in the True Lord. ||12||1||10||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 909)

“Yoga is not the patched coat, Yoga is not the walking stick. Yoga is not
smearing the body with ashes. Yoga is not the ear-rings, and not the shaven
head. Yoga is not the blowing of the horn. Remaining unblemished in the midst
of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||1|| By mere words,
Yoga is not attained. One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows
them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. ||1||Pause||Yoga
is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances. Yoga
is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines
of pilgrimage. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world -
this is the way to attain Yoga.
||2||Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is
dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained. Nectar rains down, celestial
music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained. Remaining unblemished
in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga.
||3||O
Nanak, remain dead while yet alive - practice such a Yoga.”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 730)

Please read the bold i have highlighted. How does doing physical asana like in kundalini yoga help with any of that? Fine, you may call chanting the Naam as a form of yoga, fine, but you do NOT need Kubndalini Yoga.

“If Yoga could be obtained by wandering around naked, then all the deer of
the forest would be liberated. ||1|| What does it matter whether someone
goes naked, or wears a deer skin, if he does not remember the Lord within his
soul? ||1||Pause|| If the spiritual perfection of the Siddhas could be obtained
by shaving the head, then why haven't sheep found liberation? ||2|| If
someone could save himself by celibacy, O Siblings of Destiny, why then
haven't eunuchs obtained the state of supreme dignity? ||3|| Says Kabeer,
listen, O men, O Siblings of Destiny: without the Lord's Name, who has ever
found salvation? ||4||4||”
(Guru Granth Sahib, page 324)

One Last Point
There is no doubt that Yogi Bhajan has helped to spread the light of Sikhism to many people throughout the world and some of his Sikhs who follow Sikhism today are doing so because of the service and seva which he did for humanity. The Kundlaini Yoga that is practiced by 3HO’ers is very much the Sikh style using Gurmantras and we need to remember that this is an excellent path for spiritual people from al walks of life to have their first experience of Sikh spirituality….so lets keep this path open and welcome all the people who join the dharma through this path

Please define Gurmantras. the only one am i aware of is the Mul mantra, and waheguru for simran.

extracted and adapted from the following complete article: http://www.projectnaad.com/wp-content/uploads/leaflets/sikhism_yoga_and_sexuality.pdf

Replies in bold.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: