• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Marcus Aurelius Quotes

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
"If you set yourself to your present task along the path of true reason, with all determination, vigour, and good will: if you admit no distraction, but keep your own divinity pure and standing strong, as if you had to surrender it right now; if you grapple this to you, expecting nothing, shirking nothing, but self-content with each present action taken in accordance with nature and a heroic truthfulness in all that you say and mean - then you will lead a good life. And nobody is able to stop you."
- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I like it, a lot,

although keeping ones own divinity pure is subjective in terms not only of divinity, but also what is pure

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I like it, a lot,

although keeping ones own divinity pure is subjective in terms not only of divinity, but also what is pure

Marcus' understanding of divinity and purity becomes evident reading the rest of his book. But I think the words can also stand on their own quite successfully.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius

oh, I like him a lot!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius

oh, I like him a lot!

my apologies, I have read this quote incorrectly, and my liking a lot has receded, a little bit anyway.

I interpreted the quote as follows, note the comma, thank you

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Harry Haller

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM