• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Mandira's Tattoo Leaves Akal Takht Fuming, Again

Do You Support Akal Takht's Reaction to Mandira Bedi's Tattoo?

• Yes, Please Explain.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No, Please Explain.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Unsure, Why?

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Singh ji,
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :cool:

In my question to you I have acknowledged the fact that you did not intend to link the two things: I was simply asking for clarification.

Bhagat Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Following is your original post:

What does hypocrisy and talibinisation of Sikhism have to do with the tattoos? I don't think you wanted to draw a connection between the two but could you explain why you mentioned those things together?
You made the connection yourself in your question on my behalf and then back paddled it with your own response. How interesting!:)

Now, please clarify. What was the clarification about if you happen to read all the threads and discussions about Sikhi being held here for the past few weeks?

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep ji,

It is all very strange to me, I do understand what you are saying, but I do not understand why it makes people feel such anger, or why anybody would be the slightest bit worried about it.

You talk about the feelings of people, what sort of people do you mean?

What does it matter to you, on a personaly level what a Sikh or even a non Sikhs chosses to do with any Sikh symbol? Does it physicaly hurt you? Does it upset your religious sentiments? How or why?

As I say there is only God, God and your connection to God. Why would anybody want to let the illusionary plays of this world upset them? I just don't understand it.

Let the belivers and non beliveres alike use our symbols how they wish, what does it matter?

When I say sikhs I talk about common practising sikhs to whom every thing related to sikhism is close to their heart.They don't want sikh symbols become part of modelling or fashion industry.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

Reference to SPGC warning to av MANDIRA BEDI actress who put ikonkaaras tattoo on her NAP made SPGC angry is quite resemblance to enforce these religious sanctions like Taliban's styles.Apply religions to the masses by rejecting their freedom to live free. Even Sikhs in Afghanistan has to bear special label for identifications and all women's has to do not wear make up anthis and do that.

Same practices it came to hear that some groups are after Sikh girls that should not cut their eyebrows or what not. What is this ? Any one who believes Guru Nanak Dev Ji philosophy is SIKH no matter what religion or colors or region come from.

That is the true definitions of SIKH and KHALSA was created on sole principals of Guru Nanak Dev Ji ( we all come one light) by Shri Guru gobindh Singh Ji

Where SPGC forgotten to understand this tattoo means one God .instead appreciating actress position to write on her body one GOD send a ifinte message to all believers in God not religions.

Same this was corrected by Baba Nanak Dev Ji during his visit to Mecca when he slept having his feet towards Mecca and custodian got furious to change Baba jI direction to their side because there is God on that side of Mecca. Baba Ji requested the custodian please drag my feet to the side you think where there in God.The whole Mecca moved around and stunned the custodian.

How come we became so narrow in one of the most liberated Sikh philosophy. Why not get rid of the SPGC member who are remembered by their last names according to their belief in cast system.

The biggest violations of Guru Nanak Dev Ji teachings on which whole sikh philosophy stands. All human beings are one and there is one ikonkaar GOD.

People having faith in many religions including Hindus have written OUMS all our their body to remember one God all the times.

Christians always put tattoos of cross all over their body to love of Jesus Christ. and so many other by each individuals passion of loving God.

Wake up for God sake .Religion fanaticism has already shown us and the world bottom line of disliking in today's societies.

To write God's name or put Kahnda on ear rings or lockets is just ones appreciations to God.

There are so many other issues to address which is further deciding our religions by spring up many Maha brahamcharies baba to have their own MANTA.

BHUL CHUCK MOAF

Jaspi

AMRITSAR: Model-turned-actress and TV anchor Mandira Bedi has once again earned the ire of the Sikh community for sporting an Ek Onkar (God is one) tattoo on her nape, with community leaders threatening to drag her to court for hurting religious sentiments if she did not have the tattoo removed immediately.

On Wednesday, Mandira Bedi, who attended a dealers meet of Jaypee Cement at Zirakpur on the outskirts of Chandigarh along with Sachin Tendulkar, flaunted the tattoo with the symbol in Gurmukhi on her bare nape, leading to protests.

This was the second time she is facing the wrath of the Sikhs, after she was warned by the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) in 2007 for walking the ramp with the same tattoo on.

Bedi said on Wednesday that she respected the religious sentiments of the Sikhs and that she had planned to undergo a plastic surgery to have it removed but could not find time.

Baldev Singh Sirsa, special secretary, Shiromani Akali Dal (Panch Pardhani) said he would move court against her, seeking action under Section 295 A of IPC that entails action for deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs. Meanwhile, jathedar of Akal Takht Giani Gurbachan Singh has given her a two-month ultimatum to remove the tattoo.

After the clergy's stern warning, if Mandira Bedi continued to sport the tattoo, she could even invite strong punishment including summoning at the Akal Takht and a public rebuke. In cases of strong defiance and blasphemy, the Akal Takht can award "tankha" or punishment that may even go to the extent of excomminication from the community.

Balwant Singh, professor of Sikh Studies at the Guru Nanak Dev University said: "Mandira's act has brought disgrace to the holy Gurbani. Ek Onkar is to be respected and not flaunted like this."

dulku

SPNer
Sep 16, 2006
SS AKAL JI.

Reference to SPGC warning to av MANDIRA BEDI actress who put ikonkaaras tattoo on her NAP made SPGC angry is quite resemblance to enforce these religious sanctions like Taliban's styles.Apply religions to the masses by rejecting their freedom to live free. Even Sikhs in Afghanistan has to bear special label for identifications and all women's has to do not wear make up anthis and do that.

Same practices it came to hear that some groups are after Sikh girls that should not cut their eyebrows or what not. What is this ? Any one who believes Guru Nanak Dev Ji philosophy is SIKH no matter what religion or colors or region come from.

That is the true definitions of SIKH and KHALSA was created on sole principals of Guru Nanak Dev Ji ( we all come one light) by Shri Guru gobindh Singh Ji

Where SPGC forgotten to understand this tattoo means one God .instead appreciating actress position to write on her body one GOD send a ifinte message to all believers in God not religions.

Same this was corrected by Baba Nanak Dev Ji during his visit to Mecca when he slept having his feet towards Mecca and custodian got furious to change Baba jI direction to their side because there is God on that side of Mecca. Baba Ji requested the custodian please drag my feet to the side you think where there in God.The whole Mecca moved around and stunned the custodian.

How come we became so narrow in one of the most liberated Sikh philosophy. Why not get rid of the SPGC member who are remembered by their last names according to their belief in cast system.

The biggest violations of Guru Nanak Dev Ji teachings on which whole sikh philosophy stands. All human beings are one and there is one ikonkaar GOD.

People having faith in many religions including Hindus have written OUMS all our their body to remember one God all the times.

Christians always put tattoos of cross all over their body to love of Jesus Christ. and so many other by each individuals passion of loving God.

Wake up for God sake .Religion fanaticism has already shown us and the world bottom line of disliking in today's societies.

To write God's name or put Kahnda on ear rings or lockets is just ones appreciations to God.

There are so many other issues to address which is further deciding our religions by spring up many Maha brahamcharies baba to have their own MANTA.

BHUL CHUCK MOAF

Jaspi

Well said, i agree with you there are more important issues that need our attention.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS Akal Ji.

It is God's blessing that the actress felt like showing to the world ikonkaarwith single explanation THAT THERE IS ONE GOD..

There is no room for fanaticism in Sikh religion which is given complete freedom to all who has faith in Gurbani and Guru Ji.Means lot to us to believe in one GOD .ikonkaar.

Let SPGC solve much more serious problems which are making us apart from each others based on cast system and any other kinds of extreme look into people's life styles.

Let the people see the real practices what Sikhism preaches for our young generations to carry on to their children.

Society can not be forced to change one's life style because of couple of people who organized the religion ,make it hard core decisions to restrict any one's free will.

One have to think about other people who are actresses who cut their hairs,eye brows, and other to enjoy their freedom or choice of their professions in a high tech world which were made impossible during bad times in 1983 by imposing Taliban's styles
fanatic religions practices.

Faith is what Gurbani preaches us to follow all and all these heroic gestures will not do any good to change human nature with which causes no harm to any one.

Finally let all these preacher realize that there are more problem to criticizes like
cast system which is being wildly practiced. It has caused a big time split among Sikh communities. There are several Gurudwaras are being opened according to their cast

We are continue to make a mockery of our beliefs in no cast system among all Hindus being most hypocritical practices.

This kinds of discrimination gave a birth to so many Baba's who have attracted thousands of followers who never get any respect from our own administrations in SPGC

Some of Sikh groups who believes they are being discriminated started their own Gurudwaras to avoid any discrimination from Jats and other cast ridden society.

Here is the instance to look after further divisions among the Sikh communities , SPGC must expose to all who still use their name which identify them which cast they come from and still call themselves Sikhs. .

But no one is ready to talk about it and they call them selves Guru Sahib's Sikhs ?:seriousmunda:

I pray to Waheguru Ji, EN SAB KO MATT (understanding) BAKHSHO.

Jaspi

Last edited by a moderator:

Guara

SPNer
Oct 12, 2010
"O! Lord, what fools these mortals be!" When Guru Nanak slept with his feet pointing towards Mecca, he was admonished for showing disrespect. He reportedly replied, place my feet towards any direction where GOD IS NOT PRESENT. Will the Akal Takht authorities please tell Mandira on which spot she should display the symbol which will not be offensive? Petty people, petty minds! Mandira is a descendent of Guru Nanak. Mandira DO NOT REMOVE THE TATTO, it looks beautiful.

G.P.SINGH
I was just about to post this same example of Guru Nanak at Mecca. Guru Nanak himself would not object to this tatoo, so how can any of us mere mortals think ourselves so mighty.

Akal Takht is over reaching.

I have seen many, many tatoos of the same symbol on the back of mens hands, forearms etc. etc.. If that is not offensive, then only the location is offensive, then where can Mandira place her tatoo where GOD IS NOT PRESENT?

So many important issues in the world, like racism, hunger, and violence against women and this is the most pressing, for which we can no longer hold our silence?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: