• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Man Says He Had To Chop Hair To Conceal Identity During 84 Riots

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ots
NEW DELHI: A man who was haunted by the mob during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, on Monday, alleged before a trial court trying senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and others that he had to cut his hair and conceal his identity to escape death during the carnage.

Manjeet Singh, a Sikh and the twelfth prosecution witness produced by the CBI, told additional sessions judge Sunita Gupta that even after chopping his hair, the mob did not believe he was a Hindu and asked him to show the photographs of his parents. "Somebody had informed them (mob) that a Sikh family is residing in the locality and therefore they came to search my house. The mob inquired my name and I told them my name is Ram Kumar. They did not believe me and asked me to produce the photograph of my parents," he said.

Singh said that he produced the picture of his uncle who was clean shaven from the beginning and yet, the mob refused to believe me. "I had to later go to a temple and take an oath to make them believe," he added.

Manjeet's testimony comes after a senior official of the Delhi government deposed before the court that prosecution department had opined that senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar not be prosecuted in the case. "The director of prosecution was of the opinion that sanction in this case under section 153-A (causing disharmony between different communities) of IPC may not be granted," Vishwendra, joint secretary (home) of the city government, said.

Testifying as the 11th prosecution witness, the official submitted that the opinion of the director of prosecution was later reversed by the lieutenant governor of Delhi in January last year.

Accused Sajjan Kumar, Balwan, Kishan, Mahender and Captain Bhagmal are facing trial relating to the killing of six persons at Delhi Cantt during the riots.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ntity-during-84-riots/articleshow/7497321.cms

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM