• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pacific Man Charged Over "Sharia Law" Lashing

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Man charged over 'sharia law' lashing

Updated July 19, 2011 10:20:57

([URL="http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-19/police-sign-outside-a-police-station/2799868"]Brad Markham, file photo: ABC News)

A man has been charged over an alleged sharia law punishment where a Sydney man was lashed 40 times in his bed.

Police say the 31-year-old victim woke to find four bearded men in his bedroom at Silverwater, in the city's west, about 1:00am (AEST) on Sunday.

The men allegedly held him down on his bed and lashed him with a cable 40 times during the 30-minute ordeal.

The victim has told police he was being punished under Sharia law for drinking alcohol.

Representatives of Sydney's Muslim community have condemned the attack.

Detectives arrested a 20-year-old man at his Auburn home last night.

He has been charged with aggravated break and enter and committing a serious indictable offence.

The man was kept in custody overnight to face Burwood Local Court today.

Police say officers were assaulted by a 16-year-old boy during a search of another Auburn home.

The teenager has been ordered to face court next month charged with assault, resisting arrest and hindering police.

Police say they are still looking for the other attackers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-19/sharia-lashing-190711/2799862

Attachments

• 2799868-3x2-340x227.jpg
    2799868-3x2-340x227.jpg
    15.2 KB · Reads: 218

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
re: Man Charged over "Sharia Law" Lashing

Sharia link to Sydney lashing

<!-- cT-storyDetails --><CITE>July 19, 2011 - 10:56AM</CITE>
<BOD>
A man who was allegedly held against his bed by four bearded attackers while he was whipped with a cord in Sydney's west has said he was the victim of sharia.
The 31-year-old man said he was a recent convert to Wahhabism and had been punished by members of his congregation for drinking.
Police would not confirm whether the alleged attack in a unit in Melton Street, Silverwater, was thought to involve sharia.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sharia-link-to-sydney-lashing-20110719-1hm1w.html#ixzz1SWHYIoLy

Believer

SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
As a Muslim girl i am appalled at the way these people try and take law into there own hands. This is wrong and no where in my "holy book" the Quran does it say that you may hit/hurt/lash any human for any reason. It is wrong to even hurt an insect, and it states this very clearly within the book. Its sad that these people seem to confuse Islam with a sadistic way of living. Looking for an excuse to go insane? Become Muslim! That way you can be a psycho and get away with it by simply hiding behind religion. These people make me sick and create so much damage to others around them. They actually give the "real" Muslims a bad name which is brutally wrong and i hope they all go to hell for it. It clearly states that it is not allowed to be forced upon anybody. Not just Islam but any religion should be between that individual and God himself. Sometimes there are no words to define the anger and dissapointment.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi Believer ji and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this article.

From my perspective, I can't quite understand how Sharia law could be the legal system of Islam, yet be at odds with it's scripture.

Also, there is reference in the Quran of using physical violence as a method of punishment. An example of that is the right given to a husband to beat his disobedient wife when other methods of gaining her obedience have failed.

I'm not sure whether I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but it seems to me that a lot of Muslim countries do use capital punishment in their criminal systems, including the death penalty. How can these things occur if it is contrary to the religion?

At the same time, I understand that often societies are ruled more by their culture than their religion, but Sharia seems to be a religious law, not a secular one. I hope you can see my confusion with regard to your post.

Thanks
Ishna

Believer

SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
Hi Ishna,

I completely understand what you are saying but however i will look into where the Quran actually says it is OK to hurt your wife. I was always taught that Islam is a religion of "logic" and if it doesn't in fact fit into your logic there must be something missing or a catch.
I am a big believer in that and have always tried to follow Islam with logic... If something did not fit into my logic i simply either searched up on it to find out why so or went ahead without following it.
I will also try and find where this is said exactly in the holy book. I will get back to you on this statement and do understand the confusion...

Thankyou,
Melis

Believer

SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
I also forgot to mention that the Quran is an extremely complex book and most words can not be interpreted. One sentence in the Quran actually has many different meanings and some people that do translate and interpret this complex scripture does in fact get it completely wrong... However as i've said i will look into this further....

Thanks
Melis

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi again Melis ji

I appreciate your logical approach to religion -- I try to take the same approach with Sikhi.

I also understand about the trouble with translations, as we have some similar complications with our text, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I think the translation problem might be a bit more difficult for Muslims because the Qu'ran has many precise instructions for living which leads to practical confusion if it's not understood. SGGS deals primarily with spiritual matters and not so much with physical instruction so it's easier to talk about the meanings and search for the interpretation that fits without wondering if you (the Sikh) is doing something the right or wrong way.

peacesignkaur

Ishna

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hi Ishna,

I completely understand what you are saying but however i will look into where the Quran actually says it is OK to hurt your wife. I was always taught that Islam is a religion of "logic" and if it doesn't in fact fit into your logic there must be something missing or a catch.
I am a big believer in that and have always tried to follow Islam with logic... If something did not fit into my logic i simply either searched up on it to find out why so or went ahead without following it.
I will also try and find where this is said exactly in the holy book. I will get back to you on this statement and do understand the confusion...

Thankyou,
Melis

Melis ji If there were no truth to your comments, there would be no moderated Muslims. So many Muslims have been professional colleagues over as much as 30 years. Many men, many women, many of them very traditional. I don't know any who would stand in defense of the actions in the article, or even provide a weak rational for the criminals. I have really appreciated your participation here.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM