• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Malcolm X

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
J.A.T.T said:
What do Sikhs think about Malcolm X?

Do you guys agree with his teachings?

Do you think Malcolm X is (or can be) a good role model for Sikh youths?

One of the things Malcom X said was:

By any means necessary.

Compare that to what Guru Gobind Singh ji said

When all other means have failed, it maybe be just to draw out the sword.

Draw your own conclusion from that!!! ;)

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Here are some of my favourite Malcolm X quotes:

“You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."

“Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."

x was a gangsta.
I like anyone who has a liberal mindset.
And he practiced what he preached, which only a few can do. He had the courage to stand up agianst opression. (some similarities)

But to compare him to the level of the Guru's is not possible. Our Guru's were not only activists but were elevated/exquisite intellectuals with a vandetta against the existing/deteriorating moral order of their time.
In other words Malcolm preached for the African Americans, the Guru's audience is broader in every respect. Our Guru's helped develop a new Morality (equality for all...even woman...unheard of at the time), Malcolm just dwelled on an existing struggle liberation movement.

Power to the People!
cheers

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Sinister said:
x was a gangsta.
I like anyone who has a liberal mindset.
And he practiced what he preached, which only a few can do. He had the courage to stand up agianst opression. (some similarities)

But to compare him to the level of the Guru's is not possible. Our Guru's were not only activists but were elevated/exquisite intellectuals with a vandetta against the existing/deteriorating moral order of their time.
In other words Malcolm preached for the African Americans, the Guru's audience is broader in every respect. Our Guru's helped develop a new Morality (equality for all...even woman...unheard of at the time), Malcolm just dwelled on an existing struggle liberation movement.

Power to the People!
cheers

I am sorry if my posts on this thread offended you.

I didn't mean to say Malcolm X = Sikh Guru. I thought what Malcolm X preached to his people (in political point of view) was somewhat similar to the Sikh Guru's teachings in political point of view.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
"All men are alike in nature.
It is there habits that divide them."
~ Confucius

It is those habits that must be formed and forged from our own awareness, our own discipline, our own compassion. It is our habits that we must turn into the very saviour of our civilisation.

"Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." ~ Confucius

I urge Sikkhs to take the above into consideration...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: