• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Making History In Hoboken: Singh Wins Council Seat

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Zimmer slate appears to have won but won't declare victory by Tom Wednesday June 10, 2009, 10:15 AM

large_zimmer%20slate.jpg

Dawn Zimmer's council candidates seem to have won the campaign, but everything in the Hoboken elections are still up for grabs at this point.

Mayoral candidate Dawn Zimmer's council candidates seem to have clinched their places on the Hoboken City Council, but none would declare victory late last night.

Ravi Bhalla and Carol Marsh finished almost 400 votes ahead of the nearest challenger on the Peter Cammarano slate, and Dave Mello is 130 votes ahead of Vincent Addeo for the last slot. Still, with so much legal wrangling over the mayoral election, the final figures in the city council race may change, too.

As of last night, the final numbers were:

Bhalla - 5,810
Marsh - 5,803
Mello - 5,597
Addeo - 5,437
Raul Morales - 5,305
Angel Alicea - 5,302

Even with the apparent win, no one on Zimmer's slate seemed ready to declare it a victory. "I really don't know," Mello said. "This is my first time campaigning. Until I hear a concession, I don't want to say anything. It looks good. I don't want to say anything until all the results are in."

The closest anyone came to declaring victory for the council candidates was Zimmer, whose own race is on the ropes after Cammarano squeaked out a narrow 67 vote lead. "The good news is it looks like we have three new council members," Zimmer said.

And is it my imagination or are they so blase about this that the article doesn't even mention Bhalla is a Sikh? Is this progress? Mental freedom?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I was also surprised about not a mention of Ravi being a Sikh in the News. The Sikhs of Hoboken should be outraged and must write the letters to the editor as should we. I must mention that Ravi is a good friend of my brother's who lives in Mahwah,NJ and so is Ravi's brother, Amar, who is the Executive Director of The Sikh Coalition. Ravi, as a lawyer does a lot of pro bono work for them.

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: