• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Mahan Kosh

Sikhism Mahan Kosh By Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha 2017-07-23

No permission to download

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Aman Singh submitted a new resource:

Mahan Kosh by Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha - The Encyclopedia of Sikh Literature

Mahan Kosh has 64,263 entries arranged in the alphabetical order of the Gurmukhi script covering religious and historical terms in the Sikh canon. Each entry records the etymology and different meanings of a term "according to its usage at different places in different works" alongside textual quotations.

When words of Perso-Arabic or Sanskrit origin appear they are reproduced in their original scripts to inform readers of their correct pronunciation and connotation.

Read more about this resource...

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Do you have a English translation? In the past after researching the origins of bhai kahn singh I've been troubled..
Have you ever read any controversies?

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Please share your observation about Bhai sahib and reasons for your apprehensions...
I've read that he was a proponent of the idea that guru gobind Singh Ji left hazur Sahib and continued under the name baba ajapal singh..
Untitled Document

I don't know the veracity or truth in it but it warrants considering and researching further which I am trying to do

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Interesting, never read about it... will keep looking and thank you for the link...
What I find interesting is that it's not spoken about.. I've always been interested in how organised religions come in to being.. How certain histories / narratives become unquestionable. I believe that elevating certain sources above others are a product of politicised motivations. So mahan kosh as a academic reference book which is considered definitive may have been written by someone who didn't actually believe in Guru maneo Granth.. The absence of any discussion or mention of on any online sources, or 'official sources' ie. SGPC. Is very interesting.. In the same way when the rahit maryada was formally published nobody asks where does the authority come from, what are the standards that have been used..

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
How certain histories / narratives become unquestionable.

@sukhsingh ji, this is a million dollar question... Reading, contemplating & understanding the deeper meaning of Gurbani ourselves is the only solution... then we can evaluate these histories/narratives using the litmus test of gurmat values and principles laid down in SGGS, our only Guru... and then it becomes that much easier to make up our own mind on these histories & narratives thrust upon our consciousness by nefarious powers.

Let us keep asking questions... answers to these questions may not too far off our grasp...

Glad to meet you at SPN! :)

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
@sukhsingh ji, this is a million dollar question... Reading, contemplating & understanding the deeper meaning of Gurbani ourselves is the only solution... then we can evaluate these histories/narratives using the litmus test of gurmat values and principles laid down in SGGS, our only Guru... and then it becomes that much easier to make up our own mind on these histories & narratives thrust upon our consciousness by nefarious powers.

Let us keep asking questions... answers to these questions may not too far off our grasp...

Glad to meet you at SPN! :)
Very pleased to meet you to..

This is a great site!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: