• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Like Me You Have Numerous Maids

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Like me you have numerous maids….

SPN Sangat Ji, the following Guru Shabad is about showing out the layers of the love for the Lord a soul harbors; it also inspires others to have love for the beloved Husband-Lord. If Guru Follower follows the expressed love- tide surging every moment, perception of the beloved Husband-Lord becomes crystal clear without any doubt, to experience the ecstasy of being in love with Him, one must over come intellectual misgivings about Him.
ਤੂ ਠਾਕੁਰੋ ਬੈਰਾਗਰੋ ਮੈ ਜੇਹੀ ਘਣ ਚੇਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਤੂੰ ਸਾਗਰੋ ਰਤਨਾਗਰੋ ਹਉ ਸਾਰ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਸਾਰ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੂ ਵਡ ਦਾਣਾ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਹਰੰਮਤਿ ਸਾਂਈ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕੀਜੈ ਸਾ ਮਤਿ ਦੀਜੈ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਤੁਧੁ ਧਿਆਈ ਗਰਬੁ ਕੀਜੈ ਰੇਣ ਹੋਵੀਜੈ ਤਾ ਗਤਿ ਜੀਅਰੇ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਭ ਊਪਰਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਮੈ ਜੇਹੀ ਘਣ ਚੇਰੀ ਰਾਮ ( SGGS 779)
Ŧū ṯẖākuro bairāgro mai jehī gẖaṇ cẖerī rām. Ŧūʼn sāgro raṯnāgro ha▫o sār na jāṇā ṯerī rām. Sār na jāṇā ṯū vad ḏāṇā kar mihramaṯ sāʼn▫ī. Kirpā kījai sā maṯ ḏījai āṯẖ pahar ṯuḏẖ ḏẖi▫ā▫ī. Garab na kījai reṇ hovījai ṯā gaṯ jī▫are ṯerī. Sabẖ ūpar Nānak kā ṯẖākur mai jehī gẖaṇ cẖerī rām. ||1||
In Essence: Oh my Master, you are beyond Maya influence, you have numerous maids like me, you are an Ocean (being huge), you are a mine of jewels (Virtues), and I do not know your limits. Mercy on me Oh Lord, bless me to contemplate on you all the time. Oh my soul, don’t be proud, be humble because this is the way you will be emancipated. Nanak says the Lord is above all, and like me He has numerous maids.
Now look at the expressed humbleness and infinity of the Lord by the soul that longs for Him. It is a realization of being insignificant before the Infinite. Having realization of such reality, longing for Him brings fruits and the soul moves towards the union with the Lord-Husband. What is the important point expressed here? It is to have humbleness at its peak. It is the pride that builds a wall between the Soul and Lord Husband (Jap Ji) and that wall is floored by the extreme humbleness.

ਹੇ (ਮੇਰੇ) ਰਾਮ! ਤੂੰ (ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ) ਮਾਲਕ ਹੈਂ, ਤੇਰੇ ਉਤੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਆਪਣਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾ ਸਕਦੀਮੇਰੇ ਵਰਗੀਆਂ (ਤੇਰੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਦਾਸੀਆਂ ਹਨਹੇ ਰਾਮ! ਤੂੰ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਹੈਂਤੂੰ ਰਤਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਖਾਣ ਹੈਂਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਕਦਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਮਝ ਸਕੀਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਾਲਕ! ਮੈਂ (ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਦੀ) ਕਦਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦੀ, ਤੂੰ ਵੱਡਾ ਸਿਆਣਾ ਹੈਂ (ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈਂ), (ਮੇਰੇ ਉੱਤੇ) ਮਿਹਰ ਕਰਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਅਜਿਹੀ ਸਮਝ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ ਕਿ ਅੱਠੇ ਪਹਰ ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਦੀ ਰਹਾਂਹੇ ਜਿੰਦੇ! ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ, (ਸਭ ਦੇ) ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਧੂੜ ਬਣੇ ਰਹਿਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਾਂ ਹੀ ਤੇਰੀ ਉੱਚੀ ਆਤਮਕ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਬਣ ਸਕੇਗੀਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਆਖ-) ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਲਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਭ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉੱਤੇ ਹੈਮੇਰੇ ਜਿਹੀਆਂ (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਦਾਸੀਆਂ ਹਨ
ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਗਉਹਰ ਅਤਿ ਗਹਿਰ ਗੰਭੀਰਾ ਤੁਮ ਪਿਰ ਹਮ ਬਹੁਰੀਆ ਰਾਮ ਤੁਮ ਵਡੇ ਵਡੇ ਵਡ ਊਚੇ ਹਉ ਇਤਨੀਕ ਲਹੁਰੀਆ ਰਾਮ ਹਉ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਏਕੋ ਤੂਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਸੁਜਾਨਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਨਿਮਖ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੀਵਾ ਸਰਬ ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਮਾਨਾ ਚਰਣਹ ਸਰਨੀ ਦਾਸਹ ਦਾਸੀ ਮਨਿ ਮਉਲੈ ਤਨੁ ਹਰੀਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਸਰਬ ਸਮਾਣਾ ਆਪਨ ਭਾਵਨ ਕਰੀਆ
Ŧumĥ ga▫uhar aṯ gahir gambẖīrā ṯum pir ham bahurī▫ā rām. Ŧum vade vade vad ūcẖe ha▫o iṯnīk lahurī▫ā rām. Ha▫o kicẖẖ nāhī eko ṯūhai āpe āp sujānā. Amriṯ ḏarisat nimakẖ parabẖ jīvā sarab rang ras mānā. Cẖarṇah sarnī ḏāsah ḏāsī man ma▫ulai ṯan harī▫ā. Nānak ṯẖākur sarab samāṇā āpan bẖāvan karī▫ā. ||2||
In essence: You are profound and unfathomable, you are our beloved Husband and we are your brides. You are the greatest of great and highest of high and I am so insignificant before you. Only you are the wise One, I am nothing literally. With your momentarily ambrosial glance, I feel I have enjoyed all pleasures. Since I have taken refuge in you, I feel utterly humble to those who seek you and thus I feel I am in ecstasy. Nanak says the Lord permeates in all and does what He wills.
The soul in love with Lord Husband expresses how it is felt to be in love with the Creator. As the feelings of love for Him surge, longing to have a glance of that love fills the soul with enormous joy. Approach is changed towards those too who are imbued with Him. With who we are in love, all related to that love become lovely and the mind is filled with respect. The mind is led by this love to a state of mind where His presence is not only seen but also felt in an ecstasy. His Ordinance becomes obvious, His Will and its purity become attractive and the surrender of the soul occurs without any questioning.
ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਤੂੰ ਇਕ (ਅਣਮੁੱਲਾ) ਮੋਤੀ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਅਥਾਹ (ਸਮੁੰਦਰ) ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਬੜੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਜਿਗਰੇ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ (ਸਾਡਾ) ਖਸਮ ਹੈਂ, ਅਸੀਂ ਜੀਵ ਤੇਰੀਆਂ ਵਹੁਟੀਆਂ ਹਾਂਤੂੰ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਵੱਡਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਉੱਚਾ ਹੈਂਮੈਂ ਬਹੁਤ ਹੀ ਛੋਟੀ ਜਿਹੀ ਹਸਤੀ ਵਾਲੀ ਹਾਂਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੇਰੀ ਕੁਝ ਭੀ ਪਾਂਇਆਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ, ਇਕ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਤੂੰ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਆਪ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈਂਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਅੱਖ ਝਮਕਣ ਜਿਤਨੇ ਸਮੇ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਮਿਲੀ ਤੇਰੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟੀ ਨਾਲ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਮਿਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਇਉਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਿਵੇਂ) ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰੇ ਰੰਗ ਰਸ ਮਾਣ ਲਏ ਹਨਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਲਈ ਹੈ, ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਦਾਸਾਂ ਦੀ ਦਾਸੀ ਹਾਂ (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਤੇਰੀ ਨਿਗਾਹ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਜਦੋਂ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨ ਖਿੜ ਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਮੇਰਾ ਸਰੀਰ (ਭੀ) ਹਰਾ-ਭਰਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਆਖ-ਹੇ ਭਾਈ!) ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸਮਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ (ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ) ਆਪਣੀ ਮਰਜ਼ੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ

ਤੁਝੁ ਊਪਰਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਹੈ ਮਾਣਾ ਤੂਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਤਾਣਾ ਰਾਮ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਤੇਰੀ ਤੂ ਜਾਣਾਇਹਿ ਜਾਣਾ ਰਾਮ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਸਿਰੰਦੇ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਭੂਲੀ ਬਹੁਤੀ ਰਾਹੀ ਫਾਥੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਫੰਦੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਭਾਣੀ ਸਾ ਗੁਣਵੰਤੀ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਰੰਗ ਮਾਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਧਰ ਤੂਹੈ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਤੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਮਾਣਾ
Ŧujẖ ūpar merā hai māṇā ṯūhai merā ṯāṇā rām. Suraṯ maṯ cẖaṯurā▫ī ṯerī ṯū jāṇā▫ihi jāṇā rām. So▫ī jāṇai so▫ī pacẖẖāṇai jā ka▫o naḏar siranḏe. Manmukẖ bẖūlī bahuṯī rāhī fāthī mā▫i▫ā fanḏe. Ŧẖākur bẖāṇī sā guṇvanṯī ṯin hī sabẖ rang māṇā. Nānak kī ḏẖar ṯūhai ṯẖākur ṯū Nānak kā māṇā. ||3||
In essence: I am only proud of you and you are my strength. All my understanding, intellect and wisdom are your gifts, I realize what you make me to realize. Only those know and understand Him whom the Creator blesses. The mind-slave bride is greatly deluded, thus gets in to the chains of Maya. If the Master Lord wills, one becomes virtuous and enjoys all the pleasures. You are at the side of Nanak, and you are the only pride of Nanak
We who often fall for Maya illusions have a lot to learn here. Whatever we are capable of, whatever intellectual powers we hold are declared in this stanza as Lord’s own gifts, credit should be given only to Him but unfortunately we keep taking the credit and enjoying the false illusion. In love with Lord, the soul expresses differently though. If the pride is felt, it is all about the Lord Husband, all capacities and qualities are just His blessings, and it is His bestowed grace that infuses love within us for Him. If it is not there, so easily the soul falls for Maya illusions. Being in love with Him, soul develops a feeling of being close to Him and becomes fearless.
ਹੇ ਰਾਮ! ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਉੱਤੇ ਹੀ ਹੈ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਹੈਂ। (ਜਿਹੜੀ ਭੀ ਕੋਈ) ਸੂਝ, ਅਕਲ, ਸਿਆਣਪ (ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਹੈ, ਉਹ) ਤੇਰੀ (ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ) ਜੋ ਕੁਝ ਤੂੰ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸਮਝਾਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ, ਉਹੀ ਮੈਂ ਸਮਝਦਾ ਹਾਂਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਉਹੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ (ਸਹੀ ਜੀਵਨ ਨੂੰ) ਸਮਝਦਾ ਪਛਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਉਤੇ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰ ਦੀ ਮਿਹਰ ਦੀ ਨਿਗਾਹ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਦੇ ਪਿੱਛੇ ਤੁਰਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਹੋਰ ਰਸਤਿਆਂ ਵਿਚ ਪੈ ਕੇ (ਸਹੀ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਲੋਂ) ਖੁੰਝੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀਆਂ ਫਾਹੀਆਂ ਵਿਚ ਫਸੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈਜਿਹੜੀ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗੀ ਲੱਗਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਨੇ ਹੀ ਸਾਰੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣੇ ਹਨਹੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ! ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾ ਸਹਾਰਾ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਹੈਂ, ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾ ਮਾਣ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਹੈਂ

ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਵੰਞਾ ਘੋਲੀ ਵੰਞਾ ਤੂ ਪਰਬਤੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਓਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਰਾਮ ਹਉ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਈ ਲਖ ਲਖ ਲਖ ਬਰੀਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਪਰਦਾ ਖੋਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਰਾਮ ਮਿਟੇ ਅੰਧਾਰੇ ਤਜੇ ਬਿਕਾਰੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੀ ਭਾਣੀ ਭਈ ਨਿਕਾਣੀ ਸਫਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਵਾਨਾ ਭਈ ਅਮੋਲੀ ਭਾਰਾ ਤੋਲੀ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਦਰੁ ਖੋਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਈ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਓਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ
Ha▫o vārī vañā gẖolī vañā ṯū parbaṯ merā olĥā rām. Ha▫o bal jā▫ī lakẖ lakẖ lakẖ barī▫ā jin bẖaram parḏā kẖolĥā rām. Mite anḏẖāre ṯaje bikāre ṯẖākur si▫o man mānā. Parabẖ jī bẖāṇī bẖa▫ī nikāṇī safal janam parvānā. Bẖa▫ī amolī bẖārā ṯolī mukaṯ jugaṯ ḏar kẖolĥā. Kaho Nānak ha▫o nirbẖa▫o ho▫ī so parabẖ merā olĥā. ||4||1||4||
In Essence: I sacrifice to you oh my Lord as you are my huge shelter. Millions times I sacrifice to you oh Lord, you have eliminated my doubt. All my ignorance is vanished and I have given up all vices and my mind is happily imbued with you my Master Lord. As per Lord’s wish I have become care free (non dependent), I am successful and the Infinite Lord has approved me as worthy of Him. I have got invaluable virtues that hold high merit, thus I am liberated and my all fears are gone as He is behind my side.( Here there is no place for “I-ness” but Him.)
Being in that state of mind, the soul further expresses gratitude towards the Master Lord. His being behind as a protector and supporter, has become the only shelter for the soul, in joy and thankfulness; it shows feelings of sacrificing herself to the all pervading Lord. Soul is free from doubts and fears. Negativity has disappeared, virtues have started pouring in that have enabled the soul to be accepted and approved by the Creator
ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਤੂੰ ਪਹਾੜ (ਜੇਡਾ) ਓਲ੍ਹਾ ਹੈਂ, ਮੈਂ ਤੈਥੋਂ ਸਦਕੇ ਕੁਰਬਾਨ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹਾਂਮੈਂ ਤੈਥੋਂ ਲੱਖਾਂ ਵਾਰੀ ਸਦਕੇ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹਾਂ, ਜਿਸ ਨੇ (ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ) ਭਟਕਣਾ ਵਾਲੀ ਵਿੱਥ ਮਿਟਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜਿਸ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਦਾ ਮਨ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨਾਲ ਗਿੱਝ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਵਿਕਾਰ ਤਿਆਗ ਦੇਂਦੀ ਹੈ, (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਮੋਹ ਵਾਲੇ) ਹਨੇਰੇ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। (ਜੇਹੜੀ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ) ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗੀ ਲੱਗਣ ਲੱਗ ਪੈਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਹ (ਦੁਨੀਆ ਵਲੋਂ) ਬੇ-ਮੁਥਾਜ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਕਾਮਯਾਬ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਦਰ ਤੇ ਕਬੂਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈਉਸ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਹੀ ਕੀਮਤੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਭਾਰੇ ਤੋਲ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਉਹ ਦਰਵਾਜ਼ਾ ਖੁਲ੍ਹ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਵਲੋਂ ਖ਼ਲਾਸੀ ਮਿਲ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸਹੀ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ ਆ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਦੋਂ ਤੋਂ ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਹਾਰਾ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਮੈਂ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਹੱਲਿਆਂ ਵਲੋਂ) ਨਿਡਰ ਹੋ ਗਈ ਹਾਂ
After all He is the infinite. What are we compared to the infinite? He is the only Shelter and this tiny soul can feel secured and protected in His Sanctuary as it truly falls for Him, all the rest established powerful entities are insignificant before the Infinite Creator and wisely guided soul falls for Him only. Guru has done his job by taking the soul to where it belongs; he has given the insight to remain aware of purpose of life and the reasons behind this separation from the Infinite. A path is paved; choice is in the hands of the followers depending upon His grace.

G Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: