• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learning By Any Means

Ayla

SPNer
Aug 23, 2016
Arizona
I am very new to Sikhi, and i want to learn more. But where do I start? I would like book recommendations, websites, videos ect. I want to learn by any means necessary. I don't know where my path to God will take me, but god willing I will find him and have a relationship and strong faith.

Other questions:
1) Meditating on God, if you are Sikh, can you use other names or characteristics of god, from other religions. Ie: the Jewish people (those who are religious) often refer to God, as Hashem, which roughly translates as "the name". And for whatever reason, I call God by this name. Is this wrong?

2) Where can I get books, movies, 5 Kakars ect? Website please

3) I do not have a Gurdwara near me, and I know in a lot of religions, if you have a "community" of people who worship god together (most times its at a certain building), together their faith in God somehow becomes stronger. So, what can I do, to build my faith in God by myself. I have doubts and even though I know this is normal, many of my christian family members, have what I like to call unshakable faith. How can I attain this on my own.

4) I heard somewhere that Sikhi's don't believe in Miracles. But my definition of Miracles is different. For me, Miracles are things like when a teen or child says no to drugs, and yes to education. Thats a miracle. But, are there other fellow Sikhis who have this same belief in miracles and definition of said miracle?

I hope i am making sense. I am been up since 2 am my time, and can't get back to sleep.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
you can worship God with any name you wish but sikh name for God is Wahiguru. i translated sikh religious scripture which is available for free to down load on www.swarnbains.tripod.com. down load it and read it it is two volumes. sikh religion respects all religions and gives equality to menand women. rest may be later . there are wome good scholars on this site they will guide you further.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am very new to Sikhi, and i want to learn more. But where do I start? I would like book recommendations, websites, videos ect. I want to learn by any means necessary. I don't know where my path to God will take me, but god willing I will find him and have a relationship and strong faith.

Other questions:
1) Meditating on God, if you are Sikh, can you use other names or characteristics of god, from other religions. Ie: the Jewish people (those who are religious) often refer to God, as Hashem, which roughly translates as "the name". And for whatever reason, I call God by this name. Is this wrong?

2) Where can I get books, movies, 5 Kakars ect? Website please

3) I do not have a Gurdwara near me, and I know in a lot of religions, if you have a "community" of people who worship god together (most times its at a certain building), together their faith in God somehow becomes stronger. So, what can I do, to build my faith in God by myself. I have doubts and even though I know this is normal, many of my christian family members, have what I like to call unshakable faith. How can I attain this on my own.

4) I heard somewhere that Sikhi's don't believe in Miracles. But my definition of Miracles is different. For me, Miracles are things like when a teen or child says no to drugs, and yes to education. Thats a miracle. But, are there other fellow Sikhis who have this same belief in miracles and definition of said miracle?

I hope i am making sense. I am been up since 2 am my time, and can't get back to sleep.

A Sikh is defined as any person, male or female, who faithfully:

• believes in the existence of One Eternal God
  • follows the teachings of, and accepts as their only Spiritual guides, the Guru Granth Sahib and the ten human Gurus
  • believes in the baptism (Amrit Sanchar), as promoted by the tenth Guru
  • does not owe allegiance to any other religion
I love your definition of miracles, if I were you, I would read english translations of the SGGS and see what you agree with, see what surprises you, see what educates you, see what you do not agree with and then come here and debate with us all what you are finding, that would be wonderful.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I am very new to Sikhi,
...welcome !
and i want to learn more.
..you're at the right place for the minute but otherwise, the best teacher is life itself, where you first experience and lesson-learnt later !
But where do I start?
..you already have.
I would like book recommendations, websites, videos ect.
..lol...Sikhi aren't your everyday run of the mill stuff, here today and gone tomorrow ! no, no, no ! you can't find it in books, websites and videos, etc, you can only find it in your heart. It is a way of life that is divine ! to know it and understand it, you have to live it, the "SIKH" way !
I want to learn by any means necessary.
..yeah, he who has brought you here knows what`s in your best interest ! so just relax and open up -
I don't know where my path to God will take me,
..have faith ! you've made it so far - from here, the Sikh sangat [congregation] will take you across the sea of life ! All you need is "faith" full stop !
..in spirituality there is no right n wrong, black n white, you n me. There is only the one, and the one will teach you how to reach and connect within ! All names are His, whether you say Hashem or Bruno makes no difference for they are no more than vehicles to take you home to your final destination.
So, what can I do, to build my faith in God by myself.
..start believing in yourself from this moment because it is the self that is the "god" in all creation and beyond. Have faith for he who has brought you so far will you see you to the end !
I have doubts and even though I know this is normal, many of my christian family members, have what I like to call unshakable faith.
..it is us who have divided God, God is one ! The prerequisite to know God and understand His wisdom is faith. So whether its Christians or El-Aurians makes no difference.
How can I attain this on my own.
..by believing in yourself and reassuring yourself that the reason you are here [SPN] is because the soul's journey home included meeting members at SPN. Here, you'll give a little and receive a little - food for the soul !
...these kind of questions are open to wider interpretation, believe in whatever takes your fancy. Sikhism is to an end to show the human that he/she is actually a spiritual being having a human experience and that human life is to meet the creator [GOD] here n now !
I hope i am making sense.
...you're not, hence the reason you're here ! its not always logic that rules intellectual thinking, sometimes it is stupidity dressed as atheistic honesty. View it thus, you'll have great time here !
I am been up since 2 am my time, and can't get back to sleep.
..doctor might be the appropriate authority to consult, just my opinion !

Take care - goodnight

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM