• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SciTech Lab-Grown Burgers

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
This story was on the radio news this morning being touted as meat for vegetarians!! Apparently the technique has been further enhanced and the head of the UK's vegetarian society was on Radio 4 sounding very excited :shockedkudi:

Using cow stem cells, researchers have created the world’s first ex vivo burger.

Coax 10,000 cow stem cells to divide more than a billion times and what will you get? A “test-tube hamburger,” according to Dutch researchers. Growing livestock tissues ex vivo for consumption may be mankind’s only hope when the human population outgrows its food supply, Mark Post, professor of physiology at Maastricht University, Netherlands told the Daily Mail. The researchers estimate that 50,000 tons of meat can be produced by an initial ten stem cells in just a couple of months. Having already grown pork meat in the lab, Post and his colleagues can now add beef to their list. But with the pork looking gray and having the chewy texture of calamari, the one major hurdle remaining, is to make the food appetizing.

http://the-scientist.com/2011/06/28/lab-grown-burgers/

Attachments

• test-tube-meat.jpg
    test-tube-meat.jpg
    66.1 KB · Reads: 206

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
stem cells are the Initial BUILDING BLOCKS...akin to seeds...and we do eat seeds..dont we ? daal..atta...and vegetables were all SEEDS..and we were ALL T-Cells.
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji I probably will be the first in line. Just the stuff seeded from umbilical cords and becoming burgers in a lab is just little less appetizing to me even though all mammals grow of the umbilical cord.

This is a redundant thread as same was started by me way way back perhaps hard to find when. I will see if I can flag it for Aman Singh ji for merging.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/hinduism/37900-do-animals-have-soul-why-do-4.html#post159575

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
This story was on the radio news this morning being touted as meat for vegetarians!! Apparently the technique has been further enhanced and the head of the UK's vegetarian society was on Radio 4 sounding very excited :shockedkudi:

Using cow stem cells, researchers have created the world’s first ex vivo burger.

Coax 10,000 cow stem cells to divide more than a billion times and what will you get? A “test-tube hamburger,” according to Dutch researchers. Growing livestock tissues ex vivo for consumption may be mankind’s only hope when the human population outgrows its food supply, Mark Post, professor of physiology at Maastricht University, Netherlands told the Daily Mail. The researchers estimate that 50,000 tons of meat can be produced by an initial ten stem cells in just a couple of months. Having already grown pork meat in the lab, Post and his colleagues can now add beef to their list. But with the pork looking gray and having the chewy texture of calamari, the one major hurdle remaining, is to make the food appetizing.

http://the-scientist.com/2011/06/28/lab-grown-burgers/

I don't think even meat eaters will eat this.cheerleader

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM