• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kirtan Kirtan Or Simran With Bass :)

harshsingh

SPNer
Mar 13, 2011
New Zealand
WJJK WJKF!!

Im really into the deep bass of the Tabla in Kirtn and love bass in general. Does anyone have and good Simran, or shabad Kirtan videos or audios that have really deep bass!??!?

I love all Kirtan styles so any clip would be good, just NO DHARMIC please !! :) haha, because i prefer shabad and VAheguru naam only! :D

WJKK WJKF! :)

sukritkaur

SPNer
Dec 19, 2011
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Gurfateh,

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I'm not certain what one means by '"dharmic". Do you mean traditional Kirtan with Raag or something else entirely. Sorry I want to post Kirtan but am unsure about your specifications.

Good Day,
Sukrit Kaur

harshsingh

SPNer
Mar 13, 2011
New Zealand
Hey,

Dharmik is like Punjabi religous songs that dont actually have any Gurbani in them, and are usually sung by those 'fake' Singhs that keep a half Beard fr the sake of the Song, like the religous songs Jazzy B sung in the past or Gobind De Naal - by Diljeet that just got released.

Im not one for those songs as id prefer proper Gurbani :D

BTW, i love Kirtan with raag!! haha........ and no problem.

Cheers.
wjkk wjkf!

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
I'm sorry to hijack this thread with a really ignorant question

What is the difference between kirtan, simran and shabad?

As I understand it, simran is repetition of "Waheguru", and kirtan is singing from Sri Guru Granth Sahib? I'm not quite sure what shabad is.

Sorry again for my cluelessness, thanks in advance for any answer

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Shabad is like the hymn you have.
Kirtan is the singing of shabads from Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
The other songs that are termed religous or dharmik, are what don't qualify as shabads even though they may have some lines or references to some shabad. However, they are not gurbani in full whereas kirtan is.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You may find that on some live kirtan recordings you can experience the heavy bass beat that you are looking for, but it depends on where the recording mics were located.

I don't disregard any music wether it is dharmik geet or kirtan, as they each have their own place. Although for some that are just starting to listen and cannot quite qrasp the spoken gurmukhi, then dharmik geet are usually a good place to start and understand at the same time. ALL of this music can influence in one way or the other even if one prefers only a specific one.

harshsingh

SPNer
Mar 13, 2011
New Zealand
Yeh i agree that all music can have a huge affect, but even for someone whose understanding of Gurmukhi is not very high and is beginning heir journey of Sikhi, i believe that listeneing to as much Kirtan an simran as possible is a great way to help you commit and not get bored of Sikhi. I say this because im a NZ born Punjabi, my punjabi speaking an understandig was ( now improving !!) poor and all i listened to was english music, having a reputation for always having my ipod on XD. As Guru ji did his Kirpa and gave me amrit, he instantly had me delete all my songs and helped me incredibly stick to kirtan and simran. I did not understand most of what i heard but it always and still does gave me a very happy feeling, which is whats so great about Shabad. Plus Kirtan for me was the best way to get some Bani veechar done.

Thanks @Rory....great audio, keep them coming !! ;)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sat Sri Akal kiwi bhaji ;)

Dya Singh (Australia) has a voice so rich and deep it's almost a bass line by itself!

But his Jaap Sahib here: http://www.sikhnet.com/gurbani/audio/jaap-sahib-11 has some pretty deep drums and electric guitar in parts. It also has very high-pitched parts though.

Dya Singh also incorporates some didgeridoos which you might find a bit bassy, maybe.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I guess I ma the ONLY ODD ONE OUT here...to me Kirtan has to be with RASS...rassmayee kirtan, vairagmayee kirtan, nirbann kirtan, nirol kirtan are terms i ma familair with...Bass Kirtan is a first - even though i am aware that the LEFT Larger wide mouthed Tabla is BASS while the smaller mouthed one is TREBLE....I was always taught to treat those as the DIALS we see on Modern AV Equipment (amps etc)..the "Dials" by themsleves are just buttons that turn left right.BUT what they do to the INPUT/OUTPUT is stupendous..same way KIRTAN is a DIAL thats supposed to TRANSFORM OUR LIVES into something Stupendous..overwhelming as HUMANS...of the stature of Baba DEEP SINGH, baba banda Singh Baba Mani Singh. IF the Dials swing left right and center...lights light up in various colours, etc etc..BUT the LISTENER remains what he was before.."BASE"..then ???? Because the Kirtan is a Vehicle that takes a Man up to HEIGHTS never achieved...Visit galaxies dreamt about...Black holes and Exploding Stars..if all you do is remain seated..then its...????

IN low end store sections for AV equipment..usually loud speakers blast rck music at top volume..the visitors/shoppers roam about admiring the Dials on the Amps..the Leds dancing across the face Plates, the shiny look etc.. At High End AV sections its total silence - enthusiasts wear head phones, each engrossed in hsi own world..less attention is paid to leds or shining dials..instead they discuss true dolbys and 5.1 and 71. systems, cross talk bi-wired amps etc etc...same way we have Nagar Kirtans hwere Kiratn Blasts over loudspeakers, the visitors ooh and ahh over how fats the tabla players hands fly on the tabla, the shining waja or the outfit of the ragis the running lights of the palki etc etc or simply what a huge turnout...and then we have kirtan in total "silence"..everyone eyes closed totally immersed in his own world...soothing music flowing like waves of the ocean...surf on the sea shore compared to the tsunami grade storm in a Nagar Kirtan..

Last edited:

harshsingh

SPNer
Mar 13, 2011
New Zealand
I guess I ma the ONLY ODD ONE OUT here...to me Kirtan has to be with RASS...rassmayee kirtan, vairagmayee kirtan, nirbann kirtan, nirol kirtan are terms i ma familair with...Bass Kirtan is a first - even though i am aware that the LEFT Larger wide mouthed Tabla is BASS while the smaller mouthed one is TREBLE....I was always taught to treat those as the DIALS we see on Modern AV Equipment (amps etc)..the "Dials" by themsleves are just buttons that turn left right.BUT what they do to the INPUT/OUTPUT is stupendous..same way KIRTAN is a DIAL thats supposed to TRANSFORM OUR LIVES into something Stupendous..overwhelming as HUMANS...of the stature of Baba DEEP SINGH, baba banda Singh Baba Mani Singh. IF the Dials swing left right and center...lights light up in various colours, etc etc..BUT the LISTENER remains what he was before.."BASE"..then ???? Because the Kirtan is a Vehicle that takes a Man up to HEIGHTS never achieved...Visit galaxies dreamt about...Black holes and Exploding Stars..if all you do is remain seated..then its...????

IN low end store sections for AV equipment..usually loud speakers blast rck music at top volume..the visitors/shoppers roam about admiring the Dials on the Amps..the Leds dancing across the face Plates, the shiny look etc.. At High End AV sections its total silence - enthusiasts wear head phones, each engrossed in hsi own world..less attention is paid to leds or shining dials..instead they discuss true dolbys and 5.1 and 71. systems, cross talk bi-wired amps etc etc...same way we have Nagar Kirtans hwere Kiratn Blasts over loudspeakers, the visitors ooh and ahh over how fats the tabla players hands fly on the tabla, the shining waja or the outfit of the ragis the running lights of the palki etc etc or simply what a huge turnout...and then we have kirtan in total "silence"..everyone eyes closed totally immersed in his own world...soothing music flowing like waves of the ocean...surf on the sea shore compared to the tsunami grade storm in a Nagar Kirtan..

Gyani ji...i really admire your comment, and although as khalsa we should not be too quick to judge, you have left an undeniable impression in my mind of someone who really loves the pure beauty of Gurbani, and the art it actually is.
The other impression Waheguru has implanted in my head, after reading your comment 2,3 times over was that for some reason you may not be the no. 1 fan of AkJ style haha ;)............anyway, i too love to sit in a quiet atmosphere and simply reflect and enjoy the peaceful messages Gurbani has, but Waheguru has made my a multi genre person and so i also really enjoy the load kirtan, like when surrounded by the loud and strong kirtan of AKJ where i love to shout out Gurbani, while thinking of its meaning...... the thing is that both bring me that rare blissful feeling, that only gurbai brings.

My point is that everyone has their own taste to what they enjoy and on what they can concentrate.... what may taste like sugar to one person could easily taste like poison to another ;)
WJKK WJKF

BTW!!
I feel like i may of misunderstood your comment though, so i do appology if i replied in a irrelevant style :)))

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
harsh veer Ji,
There is a lot of AKJ Rassmayee Kirtan out there...and i do enjoy a blast now and then..he he..my family back home in Ludhiana/Amrtisar are rock solid akj and some of my sisters, nephews, neices have the gift of rassmayee kirtan which even in a group of 50 or so still makes an impact i cannot even describe in words..esp in a Bus loaded with singhs and singhhannes going on a tour of Gurdwaras (which my family organizes frequently).... Its also undeniable that the older AKJ Ragis kept a much better continuity and rass in Gurbani..some of the newer generation have too much head shaking and shouting/bellowing (Bass) instead of (Rass). GURBANI is indescribable...Jion gonggeh mathyee khayee...each person is blessed differently by Waheguru...Coming form a family of amritdharee akali sikhs going back along long way...and very closely in touch with Gurbani in all its Rainbow like stupendous colours and sounds...i am really lost for words.japposatnamwaheguru:

harshsingh

SPNer
Mar 13, 2011
New Zealand
Thanks for that, i downloaded those parts onto my PC straight away after hearing the first. :D... but thanks never the less XD
Ive always liked the acapella Jatha videos!

Wjkk wjkf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM