• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Killer's Family Gave Him Money For Fake ID, Raised Cash For Surgery To Change Fingerprints

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Killer's family gave him money for fake ID, raised cash for surgery to change fingerprints

Crown asks for at least 17 years in jail for teen's killer

Vancouver Sun - March 28, 2013 5:13 AM

http://www.{censored}/news/metro/cms/binary/8129006.jpg

Overcome with grief, Madhu Randhawa, the mother of murdered Poonam Randhawa, gets some assistance outside the Hamilton-Harron Funeral Center in Vancouver after the funeral service for her daughter. Poonam Randhawa was a 18 year old honour-roll student at Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School and was found shot in the head and dumped in Vancouver.Photograph by: Nick Didlick , Vancouver Sun

The family of killer Ninderjit Singh gave him $150,000 for false ID, raised cash for surgery to change his fingerprints and lied to police about his whereabouts for more than 12 years, a B.C. Supreme Court judge heard Wednesday.

Crown prosecutor Sandra Cunningham told Singh’s sentencing hearing that his family in both Canada and the U.S. helped him hide from authorities and build a new life after he shot his teenage girlfriend Poonam Randhawa in 1999.

When Singh was finally arrested in California in August 2011, he thought he was just weeks away from getting the fingerprint surgery and was working on an insurance scam to cover his time off work, Cunningham told Justice Bruce Butler at the Vancouver Law Courts.

She said Singh, who pleaded guilty to second degree murder March 11, should spend between 17 and 20 years in jail before being eligible for parole on the mandatory life sentence.

And she said that any support he claims to have from his extended family is undermined by their conduct while he was a fugitive.

“There is no evidence Ninderjit Singh is a changed person,” she said. “His family shares the same anti-social values he does.”

Randhawa’s weeping mother Madhupreet read a gut-wrenching victim impact statement about the loss of her only daughter, a popular Grade 12 honours student at Vancouver’s Sir Winston Churchill secondary when she was slain.

“To lose a loved one is one thing. But the manner Poonam was taken away from us is especially horrific. She was stalked and left in fear before her killing. She was murdered and left in a back alley like garbage,” Madhupreet said. “We are a family who is looking for justice for my daughter.”

She said the fact Singh was on the lam for years made her and husband Rashpal too afraid to leave the house and worried he might kill again.

Cunningham told the hearing that Singh and Randhawa had a volatile two-year relationship she had hidden from her parents, during which he assaulted her, harassed her family with hang-up calls and hid in bushes outside her Vancouver house to keep tabs on her.

Singh shot Randhawa in the head at close range as he sat in the seat of a friend’s car after he confronted her about going out with other guys, Cunningham said.

She laid out the intense efforts of Vancouver Police investigators who hunted Singh for years and found him in California, where he had fled with the help of two friends hours after killing Randhawa.

In the summer of 2011, VPD officers posed as criminals in a Mr. Big undercover investigation targeting Singh’s half-brother Parmjit Soos in Calgary.

“He proudly told his new friends, who he believed were part of a well-organized group of successful criminals, that his brother who was living in California had been on America’s Most Wanted because he murdered his fiancé,” Cunningham said. “He described how he had visited Ninderjit Singh in the States and how he had sent his mother down to see him every year.”

And Soos “continually pressed his friends to arrange an operation for his brother that would alter his fingerprints,” she said.

The police played along, telling Soos they had found a surgeon in Las Vegas, asking for a $5,000 deposit and giving him a cellphone that he was to use only to call his brother. Through the phone, police traced Singh’s number and address in San Jacinto, California, where he was arrested. He was returned to Canada in September 2011.

Soos bragged to undercover police about picking up AK-47s in Vancouver and transporting them to Calgary “in case he needed them.”

And he said he didn’t see anything wrong with Singh’s actions, referring to Randhawa as “that ***** he killed.”

Cunningham quoted telephone calls Singh has made to his wife from jail since his arrest in which he swore at her, degraded her and threatened her with violence. In one call, he told his grandmother “to kick his wife in the ribs,” she said.

The calls are proof that Singh remains “an ongoing danger to society,” she said, as the wife sat in the front row of the courtroom, her husband’s family all around her.

Randhawa’s cousin Harry said outside court Wednesday that he was shocked at the details of how much Singh’s family had helped the fugitive.

“We hold the family fully responsible for supporting him and helping him evade the police,” he said.

VPD media officer Sgt. Randy Fincham said he couldn’t comment in the middle of the two-day sentencing hearing about why Singh’s family has not faced charges.

Paul Aulakh, the friend who was driving Singh when he killed Randhawa, signed an immunity agreement, Cunningham said in court.

She also said that Aulakh told police he had no idea that Singh had a gun with him or planned to hurt Randhawa.

Aulakh provided police with grisly details of the final minutes of Randhawa’s life, which Cunningham presented in court.

Aulakh and Singh saw Randhawa with her friends near 57th and Cambie. Randhawa got in the back seat of Aulakh’s car, where Singh confronted her about his belief she had been dating other guys.

“Ninderjit Singh then pulled a black semi-automatic handgun from the right side of his body,” Cunningham said. “Ninderjit Singh leaned over the seat and pointed the gun close to Poonam Randhawa’s head. He was half turned in his seat and had his right leg extended and braced against the floorboards of the vehicle. He was half standing up. As he was pulling up the gun he said: `Tell me the truth or I am going to shoot you.’ ”

“Poonam Randhawa said: `I am not scared of you. Go ahead and shoot me.’ ”

Aulakh panicked and edged the car forward. He never turned around.

“As he moved his car ahead, he heard one bang. He heard the window behind him shatter and everything went quiet. He stopped the car ... He could hear the air coming through the broken rear driver’s side window. He could smell blood in the car. He looked in his rear-view mirror but couldn’t see Poonam.”

The pair dumped her body in an alley, where she was found hours later.

“Ninderjit Singh never panicked at all. He was calm after the shooting. He never went into the back seat or touched Poonam Randhawa after he shot her,” Cunningham said. “He never checked to see if she was still alive. He had the gun in his hand.”

The sentencing hearing continues.

The sentencing hearing continues.

kbolan@{censored}

read my blog at {censored}/therealscoop

follow me: twitter.com/kbolan

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

source: http://www.{censored}/news/metro/Ki...raised+cash+surgery+change/8160130/story.html

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
One can take a person out of the pind but one can not take the pind mentality out of the person. I hope the parents of the murderer also pay the price.

The sad part is for this journalist- Kim Bolan, all Singhs are Sikhs no matter how they conduct their lives, which is the corner stone of the Sikhi. Her bigger agenda is to put a black mark against the "Sikh Community" which is not a journalistic ethic but that is the way she has been for years.

The case in point is her bigotry and bias during the Air India plane bombing trial. She lied in her article after article and was so sure that the Judge was going to convict one of the two alleged culprits that she had prepared a 16 page special edition in The Vancouver Sun for the convict whom she wanted to be convicted.. I was in the court room during the decision. Both of them were acquitted by the judge and rightfully so. They were and are innocent who spent 5 years of their lives behind bars for naught. One of them had to sell his assets to pay to the government who had paid the lawyers.

She was sitting in front of me and one could see her rage about the verdict. Outside, I heard her calling her newspaper asking what to do with the 16 page spread.

Having said that, this is a case of justice and I am glad she is reporting it. However, she should report them as crimes committed by the criminals, not linking them to the whole Sikh community as she has been doing.

Tejwant Singh

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
This is sadly, the mentality of some people in the community. Punjabiyat is still very very behind & so Patriarchial. I grew up in a high school here, & the gradient of behaviour & thought was extensive, I got out & WAS Super naive, but I heard what was going around. Girls were getting pregnant, abortions, harassed. Often times, it was their choice. But I just wish PUNJABI Men were a litle more careful with women.

The other aspect of this is Singhs & Sikhs, I think Punjabiyat or backwards ideas are a litle more toned down in Religious households b/c well, there's other commitments. They also got the receiving end of this & do, by being called 'gianis' etc. In terms of reducing them to something less than the whole human being they are.

All in all, I think these backwards pig men, w/e age Need to be Stood Up to! Good for her, for saying, "Go ahead shoot me", at least she wasn't afraid before she died... Which is very important. Even in the face of brute violence,

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
kirpan = kirpa to render service, an armed nation we should not be scared and should be armed at all times possible.

He'll get what's coming to him, sad that I and we had to lose a sister first.

VJKVJF

Jan 6, 2005
Ninderjit Singh, who fatally shot teen ex-girlfriend then hid in the U.S., asks judge for leniency

TAMSYN BURGMANN
THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER
— A fugitive who was on the run for a dozen years over the execution-style shooting death of his Vancouver ex-girlfriend apologized to the family Thursday, and then asked for mercy from the judge who will pronounce his sentence.

“I can’t bring (her) back,” Ninderjit Singh said Thursday in B.C. Supreme Court. “I’m so sorry from the bottom of my heart. So please give me a chance.”

Singh pleaded guilty earlier this month to the second-degree murder of 18-year-old Poonam Randhawa, whose body was found discarded in an alley in a pile of shattered glass in January 1999.

The then-21 year old Singh fled the same day to California, where he grew a bushy beard, gained weight and lived under an alias until police hunted him down in August 2011 — just before he was to apparently get an operation to alter his fingerprints.

His defence lawyer told the judge that human nature and a “dysfunctional” upbringing triggered the young adult to gun down the teenager he believed was cheating on him.

“His motivation arose on the basis of all human emotions, jealousy and a desire to control others,” lawyer Russ Chamberlain told court.

Although his client did arrive at the scene of the crime with a loaded handgun, Singh did not deliberately set out with murder in mind, he said.

“It arose out of … the spontaneous remarks made between two individuals. It wasn’t a cruel hunting down of this woman to kill her.”

Court heard on Wednesday, the first day of the sentencing hearing, that Randhawa defiantly suggested her ex-boyfriend should “go ahead” and shoot her when he pointed the weapon at her head from the front seat of a friend’s car.

Chamberlain asked the judge to consider a range of mitigating factors and to keep the term at the low end in relation to the minimum sentence of life in prison with no parole eligibility for 10 years.

Crown lawyers argued a day earlier there are many aggravating but no mitigating factors in asking for no parole eligibility for 17 to 20 years.

Chamberlain told court that Singh’s father died when his son was an infant, and he did not have the benefit of a stable home life.

In the following years, his client married a Canadian woman who was living in the U.S. with whom he has two daughters. He has demonstrated he is a good and loving husband and father, who has also turned back to his religion, Chamberlain said.

“He did the right thing, he pleaded guilty,” he told court, noting his client spared the family from a traumatic trial which was to have started earlier this month. “He is to be given credit for that as a human being.”

The lawyer also noted that even if Singh is granted parole, he will almost immediately be deported to India because he was only a permanent resident, and not a Canadian citizen. His conviction means he will never be able to return to Canada or the U.S.

Chamberlain read out a statement from the man’s 23-year-old current wife, Navdeep, who referred to the consequences of a lengthy sentence on their children.

“They’ve done no wrong. They are my angels, so why punish them?” she said in the statement.

The defence portrait was in stark contrast to that painted by a Crown lawyer in her final arguments earlier in the day.

Singh has displayed a longtime disregard for women and his character remains unchanged since his high school years, prosecutor Sandra Cunningham told court.
The man dumped Randhawa’s body “like a piece of garbage” and then fled to the U.S. where he “lived well, in a big house.”

She earlier told court that telephone transcripts of calls between Singh and his wife from jail were laden with expletive-laced insults and threats of future violence, including telling her his grandmother would kick her in the ribs.

Cunningham told court the man has internalized beliefs from his grandmother that “women only look good under men’s feet.”

She noted that Singh blamed his victim for her own death when he was arrested. Further, he and his family showed an utter disregard for law by spending large amounts of money to disguise his identity while maintaining they had no clues to his whereabouts.

Outside court, Chamberlain said he’s not aware of any potential for charges to be laid against relatives.

A spokesman for Vancouver Police added the force would not comment on whether there is any investigation into aiding and abetting, but said they’ll make a statement after the sentence is delivered on April 10.

Harry Randhawa, a cousin of the victim, said his family wants charges laid.
“The Randhawa family holds his entire family responsible for supporting him financially, helping him through all his illegal activities,” he said.

18:55ET 28-03-13

source: http://www.vancouverdesi.com/news/m...id-in-the-u-s-asks-judge-for-leniency/527415/

Jan 6, 2005
Vancouver killer of teenage ex-girlfriend sentenced to life and 16 years before he's eligible for parole

By Kim Bolan, Vancouver Sun - April 10, 2013 10:52 AM

Vancouver killer of teenage ex-girlfriend sentenced to life and 16 years before he's eligible for parole

Convicted killer Ninderjit Singh was sentenced to 16 years to life Wednesday for executing his teenage girlfriend near her Vancouver high school back in 1999.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Butler said Singh deserved more than the minimum 10 year parole ineligibility period for killing Poonam Randhawa in 1999.

Randhawa's parents and dozens of relatives packed courtroom 20 at the Vancouver Law Courts to see her killer sentenced.

Singh's young wife wept when she heard Butler's decision.

The former Vancouver resident, who fled to California after killing Randhawa on Jan. 26, 1999, pleaded guilty to second degree murder on March 11 just as his trial was set to begin.

His conviction carries a life sentence with a minimum 10 years before parole eligibility.

But Crown prosecutor Sandra Cunningham asked Butler to keep Singh behind bars for between 17 and 20 years before allowing him to apply for parole.

She said Singh's murder was pre-planned and unprovoked and that he hid out in California for 12 and a half years with the help of his family.

Singh's lawyer Russ Chamberlain argued that the 10 year minimum is appropriate because Singh, now 35, has no prior criminal record and had an unstable up-bringing in which his father died before he was born.

Chamberlain said at a sentencing hearing last month that Singh's crime was impulsive and came from his immaturity and jealousy.

"It was not born out of a malicious desire to kill another human being," he said. "It wasn't a cruel hunting down of this woman to kill her in my submission."

And the veteran defence lawyer said that Singh will be deported to India as soon as he is out of prison because he is not a Canadian, nor able to return to the U.S.

Chamberlain then read a letter from Singh's wife Navdeep who he married in California where he was living under a false name.

"I know he is a hard worker and loving father," the letter said. "We all make mistakes and we all hope for a chance to right them."

She said their two young daughters miss their dad, who has been in jail since he was arrested in a police sting in August 2008.

"I know they have done nothing wrong. They are my little angels, so why punish them?"

Navdeep, who was in court with a number of Singh's relatives, declined to comment to reporters, though she said she would after the sentencing.

On Wednesday, the Crown read from disturbing transcripts of phone calls Singh made from prison to Navdeep in which he swore at her, degraded her and threatened her with beatings.

Outside court Thursday, Randhawa's cousin Harry rejected both Singh's apology and Chamberlain's assertion that his client didn't premeditate the execution-style shooting.

"When it comes to the apology, we don't feel that that was a sincere apology at all. He was playing to the court," Harry Randhawa said. "We've waited 14 years. Our lives have been devastated and put on hold. To hear that his defence is looking for 10 years and then he's going to get deported and sent away to India where he can re-establish himself and have a nice life, well that's great....that's not justice."

kbolan@{censored}

© Copyright (c)

source: http://www.{censored}/news/metro/Va...riend+sentenced+life+years/8222811/story.html

PERSONAL NOTE:

Canadians taxpayers dished out an average of $113,974 to lodge an inmate in a federal prison last year - a 30% increase from four years ago.

The annual $2.3-billion bill for the country's 53 penitentiaries works out to $312 per prisoner, per day, according to the latest annual report from Corrections Canada.( source: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/28/it-costs-113000-a-year-to-lodge-a-federal-prisoner-report )

This means that Ninderjit Singh is going to cost Canadian taxpayers $ 1,823,584.00 ( $ 113,974.00 X 16 yrs )!

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
There was a case here in the Wash DC area some years ago where a jewish kid called Samuel Sheinbein killed a teenager, just for fun, and then chopped the body into pieces. When his father found out about it, he quickly arranged to fly his son to Israel, to avoid the justice he would face here. Sleazy low-life fathers beget sleazy low-life sons.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM