• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Khalsa Children: Need Of Educational System

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

Today, there are Capable Khalsas guiding the country, it is true, Panth is proud of them. Yet we know, no one can know the future. We in Khalsa Panth have to continue to strive, to bring up more and more meritorious Khalsas who can continue to provide lead to the country.

One day, I will not be in this world, but the life will continue. This is the nature's way to renew itself.

Our country is like a plant which needs to be cared for and nurtured all the time. Khalsas have to strive for better and better capabilities. Human evolution is and will always remain an ongoing process; it will never be over; we canot rest.

We have to teach our children how to be creative? how to be innovative? In this information rich, technology intensive, IT enabled knowledge based market driven competitive world, all will have the information available to them on computers through Internet; the one who uses this information in an innovative way that serves the society better alone will raise to be in the top bracket.

Changing times will pose new challanges, we have to give our next generation capabilities to effectively response to those challanges and keep on doing better and better. This we have to institutionalise in our families and in our Khalsa educational institutions. There is lot to be done.

When I was in school, it was enough to learn what was taught to us there. Today, the science is advancing so fast that what reaches the curriculum of the schools, is already obsolete by the time it gets incorporated in it. Consequently, beyond primary education, the educational institutions will loose their present meaning. Schools will not be educating the children, they will only be informating them.

We have to teach our children how to become self learner so they can cope up will the coming times. Khalsa institutions should become active in this area. Traditional approaches to education will not do.

Our families will have to learn how the Brain developes and functiones, that alone will tell the input needed to trunout capable Khalsas - the first three years of the childs life are most important. It is in the first three years of life that the bulk of brain formatting takes place which continues up to the age of 13 at a slow pace and very slowly beyond that upto 20 years.

In these first three years the child remains with the family. It is for the mothers to take up this responsibility. Each of our Khalsa family has to become a 'mint' where high integrity capable Khalsas are created.

Life will continue without us one day, always there will be more and more to be done, this process of growth has to continue; the process has to be designed to be self sustaining and self evolving. This will keep Khlasa Panth in Chadee Kala.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
That s so important point, which I continue to ponder over, and have got no direction for that as of now. However, I strongly believe that good parents have potential to nurture better children. Here when we talk about new system, technology advancement, brain development, it is so much necessary that the parents themselves understand this aspect first. Then only they will be able to deliver that further to the next generations.

Out of personal experience in Canada, I feel most of the sikhs came from humble backgrounds without much money or education, and then this place was like a heaven for them. There was/is a big race for money matters, show-off, that they just lost track of their own lives, own children. Any activity related to sikhe stayed still upto going to gurudwara on say Sangrand, sit there for sometime (without telling children meaning/rationale of doing something there), make some donation and then get back to normal routine of social race.

To design a self-sustaining and self-evolving process, it is more important that parents themselves acquire skills which they want in their children. Today morning, it came to my mind that a kid born in King's home is not a king automatically, A PhD's kid doesnt become PhD on it own just because of his birth to that highly educated person. On the same note, sikhe is to be earned, which has got more potential to be reinforced if the kid's birth is in the sikh family. Otherwise, people who get into sikhism, became Khalsa on their own by learning its virtues, stood against all obstacles, are the best learning resources. IMHO, those are the ones who have got more potential to bring a new Singh Sabha movement like 1920s to end the present race of golak/power by fake individuals disguised in sikhi saroop.

Lead by Example. Turning oneself into a role-model are the best ways to deal with such situations, IMHO.

Regards.

Jun 1, 2004
Amarpal Ji and Sevadaar Ji

You have raised a very important point... i as new parent find myself higly inadequate to impart better knowledge base to our coming generation... how should we procceed towards this task of nurturing future sikhs...

...Lead by example is fine but how... looking forward to detailed deliberation on this topic...

Thanks for raising this topic...

Regards

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Neutral Singh Ji,

In response to your question, I have started a new series of postings 'Developing Mint Grade Khalsas'.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
yes, we should care for our generation, becuase within them Sikhi will shine, and as they grow, Sikhi will grow to take its magnificant shape of splendeor!

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Here in canada, anyways British Columbia, there is a school just for sikhs. It's callled Khalsa School (i think). It's located in surrey and it appears to be a private school. Unfortunetly the sign up and monthly costs are to high for many families and imagants. Another thing, this school is located in surrey, there are many sikhs living elsewhere in BC and dont have access to such a place.

What needs to be done is more locations to be set up throughout the province (and others as well) for our youth. and at the same time be affordable for lower income sikhs. Education should be availabe for all families, not just the rich.

Perhaps gurdwara's should be somehow involved.

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
WJKK WJKF

Yes, Khalsa_Starr it is true, because i come from surrey. What i think is that the money the Gurdwara's are getting should be seperated into two ways.

1) Help the Gurdwara continue to run, and help the Langar Hall with getting food.

2) Build a Youth centre or something so that the youth have to attend it and learn more about Sikhi.

That's my idea. any others?

WJKK WJKF

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

I think that "khalsa school" is a good idea... execpt that how can we ( as children/youth) learn to interact with other societies, cultures etc. if we always go to school with people exactly like us. If every Sikh child was to go to a SIkh School, they would most likely have ony SIkh friends, which would definalty not help them prepare for the world.
I think that Gurdwara should hold classes.. like a Saturday school or somthing like that, that would give childern the opportunity to learn about our history, our Guru's and our religion and still be able to go to meet other people. I kno the gurdwara here in Ottawa, Ontario has "punjabi school" and along with the kids learning how to read and write punjabi, they learn about or Religion and also learn how to do kirtan in Raag. Also the last friday of each month, we havekirtan darbaars for the children and they get to do kirtan, and a few times we have made a power point presentation with different Sakhi's and photo's that reflect on the Shabads that they children are doing.
( be children i mean kids under the age of 12 btw)

Bhul Chuk maaf
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
A very good point truthseeker has just mentioned. How can we teach our youth sikhi and culture and at the same time get them ready to interacted and view other cultures/people's equally?

Already truthseeker and Sher Singh have mentioned the idea of a gurdwara being added onto so that it can teach our sikh youth and prevent most if not all from being "westernized" and blennded into the masses.

At the same time, part of the carriculum should include a review or overview of world history, as well as the many cultures and peoples that are in the world. At the same time, give the overview a sikh perspective and quote from the SGGS and tell how all nationalities are equal.

Only a sikh school would be able to do this, this coulb be another funtion of a gurdwara. A youth center is also a good idea.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM