• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Inspirational Kaum Sheran Dee (Tribute)

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
I appreciate the positive attitude, but pride is one of the 5 evils.. and we are supposed to live in humility for God.

Hanji, pride is definitely one of the things to stay away from.

Being proud of of those who have sacrificed everything for religious freedom, this is the pride Sikhs hold close to their heart. I am proud to be born into a Sikh family, this is not the same as personal pride. Every Sikh should be proud of their heritage, culture, warrior tradition, sacrifice and service to humanity.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kamalaji

May I be frank, I sense a pattern to your latest posts, they seem very black and white!

ie, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says this, so we must not do this, or that
Guruji says this, so we must be careful of this, or that

This is the sort of behaviour that makes people take everything literally, Gurbani was never meant to be about hard and fast rules, in my opinion anyway, When Guruji says 'Pride', we as Sikhs are intelligent to know which 'Pride' he is talking about, he is talking about

[noun] unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins)

not

[noun] a feeling of self-respect and personal worth

Now in my humble opinion, your attitude is the result of things read being taken literally. One has to look deeper than just the all enveloping concept, one has to apply ones brain, think, and really try and figure out just what did Guruji actually mean. This applies to the mention of Hindu Gods in Bani, mentions of heaven and hell, reincarnation etc etc

So it is not wrong to feel pride in the way my dear Veerji has described above, but clearly the quote I have pasted above is not what Guruji meant.

Namashkar Bhenji

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM