• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

"kathhooree Vanddeeai"? Question

Jul 10, 2006
Ang 1382 SGGSJ

PrIdw rwiq kQUrI vMfIAY suiqAw imlY n Bwau ]
fareedhaa raath kathhooree vanddeeai suthiaa milai n bhaao ||
Fareed, musk is released at night. Those who are sleeping do not receive their share.

ijMn@w nYx nNØIdRwvly iqMn@w imlxu kuAwau ]80]
jinnhaa nain nanaeedhraavalae thinnhaa milan kuaao ||80||
Those whose eyes are heavy with sleep - how can they receive it? ||80||

PrIdw mY jwinAw duKu muJ kU duKu sbwieAY jig ]
fareedhaa mai jaaniaa dhukh mujh koo dhukh sabaaeiai jag ||
Fareed, I thought that I was in trouble; the whole world is in trouble!

aUcy ciV kY dyiKAw qW Gir Gir eyhw Aig ]81]
oochae charr kai dhaekhiaa thaan ghar ghar eaehaa ag ||81||
When I climbed the hill and looked around, I saw this fire in each and every home. ||81||

What does "musk" mean here. Is it similar to what Guru's say as for eg:

2. Page16 Line 13 Raag Sriraag: Guru Nanak Dev

CqIh AMimRq Bwau eyku jw kau ndir kryie ]1]
shhatheeh anmrith bhaao eaek jaa ko nadhar karaee ||1||
The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

Is it
ambrosial nectar?

And does night mean "Amrit wela"? As in:

4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev
AMimRq vylw scu nwau vifAweI vIcwru ]
anmrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

Das was trying to translate and understand a katha & Shabad by Giani Amolak Singh ji (with great difficulty due to the "dunghi/deep" punjabi used!!). Giani ji talks about kasturi some where in the katha.

"Giani Jee doing Amazing Katha and Keertan at Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Cross Road, Coventry in"

http://www.sevatothemax.com/filemanager/na...b9834e2e2582a91

If the link above doesnt work then please try:

http://www.sevatothemax.com - mp3 - videos - gurdwara

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
kathhooree = Kasturi = Musk ... known to have very good fragrance.

I understand Amrit vela as the time before dawn.. something like 3-6 am. I have seen some threads where Amrit Vela is discussed in detail.

Regards.

Jul 10, 2006
Arvind said:
kathhooree = Kasturi = Musk ... known to have very good fragrance.

I understand Amrit vela as the time before dawn.. something like 3-6 am. I have seen some threads where Amrit Vela is discussed in detail.

Regards.
Thanks for the reply. Das do understand Amrit vela as time before the sun rises in the morning. I was just wondering why "musk is released at night" is mentioned ie why "night".

Only "Amrit vela" time is mentioned by the gurus which is not really "night"(raath) and just thought maybe he meant after 12 midnight which is still dark hence 'night' if you see what i mean.

And the next pangtee says "receive it" so we should be receiving something and it wont really be the musk but something spiritual. Guru's have mentioned "ambrosial nectar" and this the sweetest at amrit vela ie before the sun rises which i guess is night ie dark.

Maybe I am thinking in the wrong line.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
kaur-1 said:
Ang 1382 SGGSJ

PrIdw rwiq kQUrI vMfIAY suiqAw imlY n Bwau ]
fareedhaa raath kathhooree vanddeeai suthiaa milai n bhaao ||
Fareed, musk is released at night. Those who are sleeping do not receive their share.

ijMn@w nYx nNØIdRwvly iqMn@w imlxu kuAwau ]80]
jinnhaa nain nanaeedhraavalae thinnhaa milan kuaao ||80||
Those whose eyes are heavy with sleep - how can they receive it? ||80||

PrIdw mY jwinAw duKu muJ kU duKu sbwieAY jig ]
fareedhaa mai jaaniaa dhukh mujh koo dhukh sabaaeiai jag ||
Fareed, I thought that I was in trouble; the whole world is in trouble!

aUcy ciV kY dyiKAw qW Gir Gir eyhw Aig ]81]
oochae charr kai dhaekhiaa thaan ghar ghar eaehaa ag ||81||
When I climbed the hill and looked around, I saw this fire in each and every home. ||81||

What does "musk" mean here. Is it similar to what Guru's say as for eg:

2. Page16 Line 13 Raag Sriraag: Guru Nanak Dev

CqIh AMimRq Bwau eyku jw kau ndir kryie ]1]
shhatheeh anmrith bhaao eaek jaa ko nadhar karaee ||1||
The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

Is it
ambrosial nectar?

And does night mean "Amrit wela"? As in:

4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev
AMimRq vylw scu nwau vifAweI vIcwru ]
anmrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

Das was trying to translate and understand a katha & Shabad by Giani Amolak Singh ji (with great difficulty due to the "dunghi/deep" punjabi used!!). Giani ji talks about kasturi some where in the katha.

"Giani Jee doing Amazing Katha and Keertan at Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Cross Road, Coventry in"

http://www.sevatothemax.com/filemanager/na...b9834e2e2582a91

If the link above doesnt work then please try:

http://www.sevatothemax.com - mp3 - videos - gurdwara

Respected Kaur-1 Ji,

This is Sufi thought; literal meaning of it is just an example.

Message it gives to me is:

Human life is the time to achieve Salvation. Those who do not make any effort for this, waste their life time and 84 dw gyV starts once again.

So if we look at this-Raat is human life.
Kastoori- Salvation(can be said to be Amrit Ras/ambrosial nectar as that is what you will be dipped in during the higher stages of your path to Salvation and after)
nYx nNØIdRwvly – endured in the worldly tasks

DO NOT WASTE THIS HUMAN LIFE TIME, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME A SOUL CAN ACHIEVE SALVATION FROM THE CIRCLES OF LIFE AND DEATH, SAME AS KASTOORI IS RELEASED ONLY AT NIGHT. (This message is given to us again and again in many forms in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)

Just a thought about Amrit Vela: Any time becomes Amrit Vela, when you are engrossed in Prabhu Bhagti/Bandgi. Do not just wait for the morning time. GOD IS TIMELESS.

Always open for Questions and Comments.

Guru Mere Sang Sadaa Hai Naaleay

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear Cyber Sangat,

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Gurbani is very rich with metaphors. Metaphors are like the angles of the prism. They give us the glimpse of the depth and richness given to the words by the great linguists, Our Gurus.

Kasturi (musk) is a kind of perfume thats derived from musk oil found in male musk deer. This metaphor is used quite a few times in SGGS.

This scent, a “musky” extract derived from a miniature antler-less male deer which originates deep in the Himalayan mountains. Moschus moschiferus is a relatively harmless animal weighing just twenty-five pounds and standing twenty inches in height. The musk deer secretes valued musk scent during the night or in early hours.The scent pod of the male musk deer has been sought after for centuries and its aroma is considered one of the most popular scents throughout history, dating back to ancient Roman, Persian, Chinese and asian cultures. This site has a little description of the musk deer as well.http://www.indiasite.com/wildlife/mammals/muskdeer.html

Now lets see how this metaphor is related to our sikh way of life. The legend goes that the musk deer wanders around trying to locate where the musk scent is coming from. Little does it know that it comes from within.

In the same way we humans wander about all our lives looking for IK ONG KAAR without realising that THE SOURCE dwells within. Hence, as the musk scent is secreted at early hours of the day, the ones who are asleep can not enjoy its scent. We as humans wander around looking for NAAM- SAT-( Objective reality) without realising that the quest to seek NAAM- SAT begins from within which needs NAAM SIMRAN and its understanding through contemplation and introspection.

As someone said, 'When we change the way we look at things, then the things we look at change'.

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 309

pauVI ]
pourree ||
Pauree:

kwieAw kotu Apwru hY AMdir htnwly ]
kaaeiaa kott apaar hai a(n)dhar hattanaalae ||
The human body is a great fortress, with its shops and streets within.

gurmuiK saudw jo kry hir vsqu smwly ]
guramukh soudhaa jo karae har vasath samaalae ||
The Gurmukh who comes to trade gathers the cargo of the Lord's Name.

nwmu inDwnu hir vxjIAY hIry prvwly ]
naam nidhhaan har vanajeeai heerae paravaalae ||
He deals in the treasure of the Lord's Name, the jewels and the diamonds.

ivxu kwieAw ij hor QY Dnu Kojdy sy mUV byqwly ]
vin kaaeiaa j hor thhai dhhan khojadhae sae moorr baethaalae ||
Those who search for this treasure outside of the body, in other places, are foolish demons.

sy auJiV Brim BvweIAih ijau JwV imrgu Bwly ]15]
sae oujharr bharam bhavaaeeahi jio jhaarr mirag bhaalae ||15||
They wander around in the wilderness of doubt, like the deer who searches for the musk in the bushes. ||15||

My 2 cent

Tejwant

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
VaheguruSeekr said:
In the same way we humans wander about all our lives looking for IK ONG KAAR without realising that THE SOURCE dwells within. Hence, as the musk scent is secreted at early hours of the day, the ones who are asleep can not enjoy its scent. We as humans wander around looking for NAAM- SAT-( Objective reality) without realising that the quest to seek NAAM- SAT begins from within which needs NAAM SIMRAN and its understanding through contemplation and introspection.

As someone said, 'When we change the way we look at things, then the things we look at change'.

Off-Topic:
Tejwant veer ji,

Nice to see you back in action :)

Charhdee Kala Always ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM