• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kachhera Kakaar

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
As per Sikhism, a Singh is required to wear 5 Kakaars (5 Ks) which are:
1. Kesh
2. Kangha
3. Kachhera
4. Kirpan
5. Kara

Considering above as five Ks, let us discuss their importance, significance and relevance in today's times.

This thread is created for discussion of Kachhera Kakaar specifically. Please discuss.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Kachehra is a kakaar to symbolize to live a faithful life. As a reminder for self-restrain over passions, lust and desires. This also ensures briskness during action and freedom of movement at all times.

Aug 13, 2004
US
Kachhehra has been seen as an obstacle in the fashion world & keeping Sikhs from activities like swimming.

Just some thoughts from an amritdhari who is looking to give some guidance to the young folks out there who are trying to make it in this crazy world. Keep in mind that Sikhism is not a religion whose teachings are to be modified to suit your individual lifestyle. The rules are very straightforward. The obstacles (5 evils) have been laid out. It is each Sikh's duty to follow these rules to the letter and overcome the obstacles so that we may achieve the ultimate goal with becoming one with Waheguru. If you only follow some, or none, fear not. You have the power to change for the better. The time to change though, is NOW.

If you still have doubts, grab your Kara and ask yourself, what would our father Guru Gobind Singh Ji say?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Prabjyot Kaur ji.

I had gone to swimming pool, and people there were asked to wear swimming wears on top of whatever lower undergarments they were wearing. So ultimately that doesnt seem to be a problem at least for men. For women, I think that becomes a concern due to available kind of swimming garments, and becomes a valid obstacle.

I think, I understand what you are conveying by saying not to modify teachings to suit individual lifestyle.

Your posts are thought provoking and inspiring. Please keep on participating.

Thanks.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I fail to understand, why can not sikhs wear long swimming shorts or in the case of ladies, they can wear new swimming suits that cover legs till the ankles and also arms? It is dogmatic to think that the reminder of chasity lies only in the kachhera. As mentioned in my other post, Kakkaars are reminders for self not hindrenace for swimming or any other thing that we may practice which is not anti gurmat. What I am trying to say is that according to my understanding, it is ok to take your kachhera off and wear a swimming suit, if needed.

PS:- any particular color of Speedos??? j/k..:)

Tejwant

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
from my experience being a girl and goin swimming can be a bit difficult but like vaheguruseekr ji was saying u can order a full piece bathing suit that covers the whole body( i think u can also order ones that have a half sleeve)
these kinds of bathing suits do look a bit different and people might not understand why you wear one that covers u from "head to toe" but its up to u, personally i dont like the bathing suit so i have just made the decision not to swim.
umm and to address another coment that vaheguruseeker ji was saying: i thought that u were no to take off your kakaars no matter what, so by removing your kachhera wouldnt u be breaking that commitment?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM