• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kabir Ji Bani Ang 477

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
The son of the sterile woman is Akaal. Akaal doesn't have a mother because Akaal is beyond birth and death. The Soul-Bride's family (the animals) sets out a golden canopy to welcome the Husband-Lord.
I think this panktee needs further exploration as in 'ਸੁਇਨੇ ਮੰਡਪ ਛਾਏ ॥ kabeer is not referring to physical golden canopy but canopy of light, wisdom and understanding (opening of dasam duar) thus ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ cannot be akal but stained thought process of my manh is now all set to 'ਬੀਆਹਨ ਚਲਿਆ' merge (marry) after taming all those animals sitting within me. Kabeer has used word bans in, 'ਬੂਡਾ ਬੰਸੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਕਾ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪੂਤੁ ਕਮਾਲੁ ॥ from the elevated thought process of my manh emanated the divine message.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I think this panktee needs further exploration as in 'ਸੁਇਨੇ ਮੰਡਪ ਛਾਏ ॥ kabeer is not referring to physical golden canopy but canopy of light, wisdom and understanding (opening of dasam duar) thus ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ cannot be akal but stained thought process of my manh is now all set to 'ਬੀਆਹਨ ਚਲਿਆ' merge (marry) after taming all those animals sitting within me. Kabeer has used word bans in, 'ਬੂਡਾ ਬੰਸੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਕਾ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪੂਤੁ ਕਮਾਲੁ ॥ from the elevated thought process of my manh emanated the divine message.

I agree about the canopy, but I'm not sure if the sterile woman's son is the stained thought process of the mind. If that is true, then who is the beautiful and enticing woman he is marrying?

Can you please explain further?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You can assume that ''son of sterile woman'' is the nirgun nirankar-Akaal purakh, OR it may even mean that it is the son of Maya....-as the product of maya which is ego is just like an illusion of the mirror.
In some other shabads Kabirji has also referred to Maya as the female mother that doesn't give birth to it's traits, but they are born in the face of ego, which is probably why I initially went on that avenue.

Personally, in this case Sherdil's suggestion seems more fitting ....and anyway the REAL point is,...... that it doesn't actually matter.....whether you choose son to be maya/ego or waheguru, the deeper MESSAGE of the shabad still remain UNCHANGED !

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
There are times when I have not concurred with Sahni ji’s interpretation of Gurbani. However, in this case, I feel, he has a point regarding ‘the son of maya’ interpretation.

I am not exactly sure Sahni ji’s understanding is but this is how I see it with my meagre understanding of Kabir Ji’s Bani.

As stated in my earlier post (#3) Bhagat Ji has used two scenarios:

(a) kakree-aa (khakhree-aa)
(b) a wedding scenario

Let us take each in turn:

(a) kakree-aa (khakhree-aa)
Our mann under the negative influences of maya is like the fruit from Akk or cactus – bitter and repulsive (the exact identity of the plant is not an issue except it is repulsive and tasteless).

The negative aspects of maya on mann and its inner-concious are illustrated by the characteristics of various animals depicted, e.g. stubborn, obstinate, merciless, foolish etc.

Once these are eradicated, the bitter fruit (former mann) is now transformed in to a sweet mango ready for consumption. The ‘soul-bride’ is now ready to go into wed-lock with the Truth, Parmatma, WaheGuru (Sikhs use different terms for this and I do not wish to enter into another debate).

(b) a wedding scenario
Gurbani has referred to our inner-conscious, jeea, surti, in feminine form. This mind’s surti (anteh-karan, inner-conscious) which, previously, was like an ignorant, stupid, ugly bride of low status has now turned into a vivacious, wise bride of divine understanding.

ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ ਬੀਆਹਨ ਚਲਿਆ ਸੁਇਨੇ ਮੰਡਪ ਛਾਏਰੂਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਬੇਧੀ ਸਸੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ੩॥ bans ko poot bee-aahan chali-aa su-inay mandap chhaa-ay. (SGS 477)

Maya is baanjh and therefore does not give birth but we become her ‘adopted’ sons by adopting the three qualities (Gunn) of Maya — three thought-conditions or states of the mind. (Sato, Rajo, Tamo).

The mann which was previously under the grip of maya (as we say in Punjabi - “maya da putar banyaa baitha see”), now, with humility nurtured through the teachings of Guru, has transformed into an eligible son ready to step on to the mandap, bedecked with beautiful pillars under the golden canopy of Gian and enlightenment. The conscious mind is now in congruence with the pure, virgin and unstained surti (i.e. the mind’s surat or surti is now rid of all vicars (negative traits).

As always I stand corrected.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Last edited:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I agree about the canopy, but I'm not sure if the sterile woman's son is the stained thought process of the mind. If that is true, then who is the beautiful and enticing woman he is marrying?

Can you please explain further?
I don't understand how 'ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ' has been interpreted as sterile woman's son. I can understand ignorant woman's son (manh deceited by maya thus stained). Over here the beautiful and enticing woman is elevation of mind (heightened upto state of bekunth) ਸੁੰਦਰਿ elevated within me which has 'ਬੇਧੀ' conquered the lion birtee (cruelty) and as such now same lion started singing hyms.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I don't understand how 'ਬੰਸ ਕੋ ਪੂਤੁ' has been interpreted as sterile woman's son. I can understand ignorant woman's son (manh deceited by maya thus stained). Over here the beautiful and enticing woman is elevation of mind (heightened upto state of bekunth) ਸੁੰਦਰਿ elevated within me which has 'ਬੇਧੀ' conquered the lion birtee (cruelty) and as such now same lion started singing hyms.

I guess ignorant woman's son can be erroneously taken at face value. I like the way Lucky ji and Arshi ji put it: The Punjabi phrase "Maya da putt baneyah" means one is under the influence of Maya, which is sterile because it doesn't beget its own image. It appears subjectively through the person's eyes.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: