• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Jewish Women Worshipping Like Men

LittlePrem

SPNer
May 1, 2013
New York, N.Y
No worries, spnadmin Ji - I did not think you were quarreling with my assessment at all. I actually have been re-thinking the same way. My personal assessment came from my life experiences and observations about Judiasm as a whole.
I also realize that I tend to view the Ultra Orthodox as repressed and oppressed on the whole - both males and females. I see it with both genders really. However, it does seem as though it is the men who are in charge of the oppression, so to speak, oppressing themselves and the women. On another hand, who am I to say they are oppressed just because thier lifestyle feels oppressive to me?
So, yes, like you said in your earlier post, the question is how do the Ultra-Orthodox women feel? Do they feel as though thier community is upholding the proper religious lifestyle or do they feel as though it's gone too far in same facet and that they are oppressed? If so, then the world should pay attention to thier complaints and support them in obtaining thier rights.
This article is actually more about how the Secular or less Orthodox population in Israel may be feeling oppressed or at odds with the Ultra-Orthodox, particularly the "Haredi" sect. They are a small sect that I and many others consider to be extreemist or have extreemists amongst them. The problem is that they are a rapidly growing group, due to the fact that they have many kids. The biggest clashes are on the subject of women and serving in the IDF, which also relates to the topic of women (the Haredi can't deal with the lack of gender segregation).
Here's an article about that I just read:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...us-segregation-incident-latest-feminist-fight

Also, a news brief about women praying at the Western Wall:

Women's prayer at Western Wall sparks protest - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is an issue that has many faces, many voices, and no clear way to a middle ground. Thanks for adding to this thread. These kinds of articles are of top interest to me and the more I have to read, the better I feel.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Great idea Little Prem ji!

I like all those topics in the parentheses. Please share with the entire forum too! It would be great if you would start a new thread for each article. Probably Interfaith dialogs is where they should be posted. You need to use your judgement on their placement. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge, and sharing with me.

I just now uploaded the Beit Sheimesh article under your user id so you can see a model for somethings, like including the authors and the url. how to do it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: