• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Janni Janat Soot Badha Huat Hai

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
ਜਨਨੀ ਜਾਨਤ ਸੁਤੁ ਬਡਾ ਹੋਤੁ ਹੈ ਇਤਨਾ ਕੁ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਜਿ ਦਿਨ ਦਿਨ ਅਵਧ ਘਟਤੁ ਹੈ ॥
Jannī jānaṯ suṯ badā hoṯ hai iṯnā ko na jānai jė ḏin ḏin avaḏẖ gẖataṯ hai.
The mother thinks that her son is growing up; she does not understand that, day by day, his life is diminishing.

ਮੋਰ ਮੋਰ ਕਰਿ ਅਧਿਕ ਲਾਡੁ ਧਰਿ ਪੇਖਤ ਹੀ ਜਮਰਾਉ ਹਸੈ ॥੧॥
Mor mor kar aḏẖik lād ḏẖar pekẖaṯ hī jamrā▫o hasai. ||1||
Calling him, "Mine, mine", she fondles him lovingly, while the Messenger of Death looks on and laughs. ||1||

ਐਸਾ ਤੈਂ ਜਗੁ ਭਰਮਿ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
Aisā ṯaiʼn jag bẖaram lā▫i▫ā.
You have misled the world so deeply in doubt

ਕੈਸੇ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਬ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Kaise būjẖai jab mohi▫ā hai mā▫i▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
How can people understand You, when they are entranced by Maya? ||1||Pause||

Above sabd normally is sung for celebration of child's birthday though it seems it also caution mother that on the contrary age of child is getting shorter every year. After singing the sabd we feel relaxed and close it as if we have performed our duty.

While reflecting upon the rahao, I realized topic of the sabd is not celebration but contemplating upon impact of vices on our body. Over here the message is that 'ਜਨਨੀ' the source of evil conspiracies, feels pride that she is feeding and upbringing a child (manh to act as per her commands) growing him big, but does not realizes the impact of every evil action (anger etc) on our body thus advising us to cut that source and fill it with godly acts

Let us explore further the message

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: