• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jaisa Satgur Sunnida | ਜੈਸਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੁਣੀਦਾ

Dr Karminder Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Sep 3, 2009
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ਸਲੋਕ ਮ: ੫ ॥

Ramkli Ki Vaar Mehla 5. Ek Oangkar Satgur Parsad. Salok Mehla 5.

Vaars in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) primarily consists of paurrees. The original structure of a Vaar is a collection of paurres that are composed by the author of the Vaar.

During the process of compilation of the Pothi Sahib, Guru Arjun elected to add from 1 to 4 saloks to each paurree. The saloks were composed either by the author of the Vaar, or other Gurus. This means that the saloks were composed independently of the Vaars. Consequently, one can find a Vaar composed by the first Guru containing saloks composed by succeeding Gurus.

The primary criteria for adding the saloks was the subject matter. Saloks were thus added by Guru Arjun to the paurees based on their ability to expand, illustrate or exemplify the subject matter contained with the particular pauree to which the saloks were being added.

Saloks that remained un-fitted into the paurees of the 22 Vaars were put together into a bani towards the end of the SGGS (page 1410 -1426) called Salok Varaan Tay Vadheek (Saloks in Excess of the Vaars).

As is evident from the title, the Gurbani verses being interpreted in this article are taken from a Vaar within the Ramkli Chapter of the SGGS. This is the first paurree of that Vaar and there are two saloks – both composed by Guru Arjun – that are appended to this paurree.

The Gurbani Framework requires that in the case of a Vaar, the concluding (final) verse of the paurree be interpreted first as the verse that contains the gist of the message of the entire paurree. This gist is then interwoven into the remaining verses of the Paurree and the Saloks that come along with it.

The CONCLUDING verse of the Paurree under discussion is:

ਕੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੀਮ ਕੇਵਡੁ ਮਟਿਆ ॥

Koey Na Janney Keem Kevad Mateya

Koey
Na – No one, none. Janney– Lit. Knows; Realization. Keem– Lit. price, worth, value. Kevad – To what extent, how much; measure. Mtteya– Place of abode, location (of the Realization); Within.

The Worth of Realization Within is Beyond Measure

ਸਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਆਪਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਟਿਆ ॥ ੧ ॥ SGGS 957

Sacha Sahib Aap Gurmukh Pargateya

Sacha
Sahib – The Creator Lord in Existence; Aap (with sihari) – Lit. Self; Within the Self. Gurmukh (with sihari) – Lit. from within the Guru’s utterances / mind; from within the Shabd Guru; spirituality of the Shabd. Pargateya – Reveals.

The Spirituality of the Shabd Reveals the Creator in Existence Within my Self.

Now we come to the first verse of the first salok.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮ: ੫ ॥ ਜੈਸਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੁਣੀਦਾ ਤੈਸੋ ਹੀ ਮੈ ਡੀਠੁ ॥

Salok Mehla 5. Jaisa Satgur Sunnida Taiso Hee Mein Deeth.

Jaisa
– Just like. Satgur – Creator connecting Guru. Sunnida– Heard, talked about, discoursed Taiso Hee – Just as. Mein– Self. Deeth– Lit See; Known; Realized.

My Realization is Exactly as My Creator Connecting Guru Discoursed

ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਮੇਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਕਾ ਬਸੀਠੁ ॥

Vichrreyea Maylay Prbhu Har Dargah Ka Bseeth

Vichrreyea
– Lit. Separated; Unrealilzed state. Maylay – Realization. Prbhu – Master. Har – Omnipresent Creator. Dargah – Conscience. Ka – Of. Bseeth – Match maker, middle man; intermediary.

Note: “Dargah” translates as “court” (of the King, Judge) in the literal sense. A court comes into session when the King / Judge comes into it. In Gurmat, the Creator does not exist within a location that that is “somewhere out there” but He resides within us. As such His Court or “Dargah” is within us (our conscience).

Bringing About Realization of the Omnipresent Creator to the Unrealized, My Guru is My Conscience’s Intermediary.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਦਾ ਕਟੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ॥

Har Namo Mantar Drirr-raeda Katey Haumai Rog.

Har
– Omnipresent. Namo – Godly / Divine Virtues. Mantar – Advice, Counsel, Guidance, Instruction. Drirrraeda – Inculcates, Instills. Katey – Eliminate. Haumai Rog – Infliction of Ego.

He is My Intermediary Because He Instills Guidance Towards Virtues of the Omnipresent and Eliminates the Infliction of My Ego.

BLUE – Context from previous verse.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਜਿਨਾ ਧੁਰੇ ਪਇਆ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ॥ ੧ ॥

Nanak Satgur Tina Milaya Jina Dhurey Pya Sanjog.

Sat
(with sihari) – Creator. Satgur – Creator connecting Guru. Tina – Those. Milaya – Lit. Causes to Meet; Brings Realization. Jina – Those who. Dhurey –Lit. the beginning; point of conception, origin (of spirituality); Conscience. Pya – Yearn, Desire. Sanjog – Meeting; union.

Note: In Gurmat, the beginning (Dhura) of spirituality is an empowered conscience. Our conscience is thus the point of conception (Dhura) of our spiritual journey.

Nanak, the Creator Connecting Guru Brings Realization Amongst Those Who Yearn a Union Within the Conscience.

ਮ: ੫ ॥ ਇਕੁ ਸਜਣੁ ਸਭਿ ਸਜਣਾ ਇਕੁ ਵੈਰੀ ਸਭਿ ਵਾਦਿ ॥

Mehla 5: Ek Sajnn Sabh Sajnna Ek Veri Sabh Vaad

Ek
-The One Creator. Sajnn – Lit. Friend, Associate. Sabh (with sihari) Sajnna – All Come into State of Association. Vaeri – (Opposite of Sajjan); Disassociate. Sabh (with sihari) Vaad – All Come into State of Dispute, Conflict.

Association with the One Creator Brings My Vices into State of Association (With My Conscience); Disassociation Causes Them to be in Conflict

BLUE – Context from previous verse.

ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਦੇਖਾਲਿਆ ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਸਭ ਬਾਦਿ ॥

Gur Purey Deykhaleya Vinn Navey Sabh Baad

Gur Purey
– The Guru’s Perfect / Divine Messages. Deykhaleya – Lit allowed the seeing; brought Realization. Vinn Navey – Devoid / Bereft of Godly Virtues; Without Divine Virtues. SabhAll. Baad – Dispute, Conflict.

The Divine Messages of the Guru Has Brought the Realization that All Inner Conflict is Because I am Bereft of Godly Virtues

ਸਾਕਤ ਦੁਰਜਨ ਭਰਮਿਆ ਜੋ ਲਗੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਸਾਦਿ ॥

Sakat Durjn Bharmeya Jo Lgey Dujey Saad

Sakat
– Un-realized State of Mind. Durjn – Vice filled State of Mind. Bharmeya – Astray. Jo – Those, that. Lgey– Attach. Dujey– Other than the Creator. Saad – Attraction, Lure.

My Unrealized Vice-Filled State Led Me Astray on a Spirituality that Lured Me into Attachments Other than the Creator

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਬੁਝਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ੨ ॥

Jun Nanak Har Prabh Bujheya Gur Satgur Kaei Parsad

Jun
– State of Mind of Humility. Har Prabh – Omnipresent Master. Bujheya – Realized. Gur – Message. Satgur – Creator Connecting Guru (shabd). KaeiOf. Parsad – Blessings, Grace.

Nanak, the Grace of the Messages of My Creator Connecting Guru Humbled Me into Realizing the Omnipresent Creator Within

ਪਉੜੀ ॥ ਥਟਣਹਾਰੈ ਥਾਟੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਥਟਿਆ ॥

Paurree. Thatannkarey Thaat Apey Aap Hi Thtteya

Thatann-harey
– Lit. Maker; Creator. Thaat– Creation. Apey Hi– Self, Emanate. Thtteya – Created.

Pauree. Creation Emanated from the Creator Himself.

ਆਪੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਾਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਟਿਆ ॥

Apey Pura Sah Apey Hi Khateya

Apey
– Self. PuraComplete. Sah – Master. Khateya – Lit. Benefit, Benefactor, Endowed.

He Himself is the Complete Master of His Endowed Creation

Note: The basic Gurbani view, as represented in ੴ Ek Oangkar is that the Creator is One with His creation; that He is expanded into His creation; that He resides within His Creation; and that Creation is endowed, sustained and kept in existence by His benevolence.

ਆਪੇ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਸਾਰੁ ਆਪੇ ਰੰਗ ਰਟਿਆ ॥

Apey Kar Pasaar Apey Rung Rattiya

Kar Pasaar
– Extended into Creation. Rung – Love. Rattiya –Imbued.

He Himself is Extended into Creation; Imbued in Love for it

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕੀਮ ਨ ਪਾਇ ਅਲਖ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਟਿਆ ॥

Kudrat Keem Na Paye Alukh Brahmuttiya

Kudrat
– Creation, nature. Keem – Value, Worth. Na Paye– Not attainable. Alukh– Beyond Fathom. Brahmuttiya– Creator

Creation is Beyond Value as the Creator is Beyond Fathom;

ਅਗਮ ਅਥਾਹ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਪਰੈ ਪਰਟਿਆ ॥

Agum Athah Beant Praei Parttiya

Agum
–Beyond Measure. Athah – Beyond Account. Beant– Infinte. Praei– Beyond. Parttiya– Extent.

Beyond Measure, of Infinite Account and Beyond Extent.

ਆਪੇ ਵਡ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੁ ਆਪਿ ਵਜੀਰਟਿਆ ॥

Apey Vudd Patshah Aap Vajeeratiya

Vudd Patshah
– Supreme Lord. Vajeeratiya – Counsel, Protector, Provider

He is the Supreme Lord of Creation and Its Provider

ਕੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੀਮ ਕੇਵਡੁ ਮਟਿਆ ॥

Koey Na Janney Keem Kevad Mateya

(Therefore) The Worth of the Creator’s Realization Within is Beyond Measure

ਸਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਆਪਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਟਿਆ ॥ ੧ ॥ SGGS 957

Sacha Sahib Aap Gurmukh Pargateya

The Spirituality of the Shabd Reveals the Creator in Existence Within my Self.

Summary Pointers.

1. The First Salok lays out the role and importance of the Guru in bringing about Realization of the Creator Within Our Conscience. The Guru’s role is
  2. To provide a discourse of the nature of Realization;
  3. To act as an intermediary in bringing about Realization of the Creator to the unrealized; and
  4. As an intermediary by instilling guidance towards virtues of the Omnipresent and eliminating the inflictions of my ego.
  5. The Second Salok lays out the way in which item (c) above is to be achieved. The way is:
  6. Association with the One Creator to bring my vices into a state of association with our conscience;
  7. Realize that all inner conflict is because I am devoid of Divine Virtues.
  8. Know that my unrealized vice-filled state leads me astray on a wayward Spirituality

1. The pauree tells us that the spirituality of the shabd reveals the Creator in existence within us. And that the worth of the Creator’s Realization Within is beyond measure.

End

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: