• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World Islamic Cleric Decrees It OK For Syrian Rebels To Rape Non-Sunni Women

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
The Washington Times - An Islamic cleric has cleared the path for rebels in Syria, who are trying to oust President Bashar Assad, to rape women, so long as they’re non-Sunni.

Salafi Sheikh Yasir al-Ajlawni, who hails from Jordan but who lived in Damascus for 17 years, sent a message via YouTube: It’s a “legitimate fatwa” for Muslims waging war against Mr. Assad and trying to put in place a Sharia government to “capture and have sex with” Alawites and other non-Sunni, non-Muslim women, Human Events reports. Mr. Assad is part of the Alawites sect.

In the video, the cleric called non-Muslim women by their Arabic term, “melk al-yamin,” Human Events reports. The term is from the Koran and refers to non-Muslim sex slaves, Human Events says.

This isn’t the first time Islamists have called for the raping of women.
A preacher in Saudi Arabi, Muhammad al-Arifi, sent forth a fatwa a few months ago giving jihadi fighters the right to have “intercourse marriage” with Syrian women they caught, and for that act to take enough time “to give each fighter a turn,” Human Events reports.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...es-it-ok-syrian-rebels-rape-wo/#ixzz2Q9UzKhi6

I am absolutely appalled by this! I just cannot bring myself to comprehend that in the midst of a brutal civil war, a religious cleric - who is supposed, surely, on account of his office of responsibility to be a force for peace and mutual understanding - would sanction as being under fatwa (religious dictate) the right of men to rape of innocent women - both Muslim and non-Muslim - who are not Sunni.

I am absolutely outraged. This has truly disturbed me.

I do not know if this has been put up on SPN already but I found it on the news section of a Catholic Forum just this minute. Its from April 3rd but I never knew of it until today.

Apparently this is the second cleric who has condoned this? Reading stuff like this really dents my faith in humanity. How is this obscenity justified?

The story is given a fuller treatment on this Human Rights news site:

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/04/02/islamic-cleric-rape-of-non-muslim-syrian-women-permitted/

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
In the second article this has shocked me even more (if that were humanely possible!):

Indeed, even some Muslim women advocate the enslavement and rape of fellow (non-Muslim) women. Kuwaiti political activist, Salwa al-Mutairi, for instance, is working to see the institution of sex-slavery return. In a video she posted online, she explained how she once asked Islam’s greatest authorities living in the city of Mecca, the city of Islam, about the legality of sex-slavery and how they all confirmed it to be perfectly legitimate. According to Mutairi:
A Muslim state must [first] attack a Christian state—sorry, I mean any non-Muslim state—and they [the women, the future sex-slaves] must be captives of the raid. Is this forbidden? Not at all; according to Islam, sex slaves are not at all forbidden. Quite the contrary, the rules regulating sex-slaves differ from those for free women [i.e., Muslim women]: the latter’s body must be covered entirely, except for her face and hands, whereas the sex-slave is kept naked from the bellybutton on up—she is different from the free woman; the free woman has to be married properly to her husband, but the sex-slave—he just buys her and that’s that.
The Kuwaiti activist went on to offer concrete suggestions: “For example, in the Chechnya war, surely there are female Russian captives. So go and buy those and sell them here in Kuwait; better that than have our men engage in forbidden sexual relations. I don’t see any problem in this, no problem at all.”

I am mean, this just makes me speechless.

Seriously, this is just appalling.

I know that there are many moderate Muslims who will be sickened by this usage of a religious text to excuse criminal behaviour, however something seriously has to be done so as to prevent religious rulings and texts from being used as justification for the abuse of women and other civilians during armed conflict.

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Regarding this, I was thinking about a line in SGPC Rehat Maryada (thankfully no one enforces it):

A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

This one line is plainly sexist. There is nothing written about a Sikh's son, as if he will always do what is expected of him. Secondly it enforces a father's will on a daughter, thereby destroying her individuality.

If a daughter asks the father to find a groom, it must be a Sikh. If a daughter wishes to marry someone she knows, then?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Regarding this, I was thinking about a line in SGPC Rehat Maryada (thankfully no one enforces it):

A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

This one line is plainly sexist. There is nothing written about a Sikh's son, as if he will always do what is expected of him. Secondly it enforces a father's will on a daughter, thereby destroying her individuality.

If a daughter asks the father to find a groom, it must be a Sikh. If a daughter wishes to marry someone she knows, then?

Guru Piayario Jios...
My younger brother DR. karminder Singh ji has already covered THIS supposed Gender Bias in SRM..and a host of other matters in the SRM vis a vis Ananad Karaj....Here is the scholarly article posted by me on SPN long long ago...

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/26347-anand-karaj-per-sikh-rehat-marayada.html

Please go thropugh it ji..EVERY point is covered.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My brother Vouthon ji I do believe you are very learned. Which part of non-Muslims being Qaffars/"animals, dirt, nothing, etc.", you don't understand? You, me, Sikhs, Christians, Catholics, etc., are all Qaffars.

It is valid for a Muslim to take our property, enslave us, cheat on us, do what they like to the women, etc. A remarkable non-sugar coated work on Jihadist manifesto detailed it in very scholarly way. It was written by the American turned Jihadist Anwar al-Awlaki. Very fascinating document if you can get hold of it.

I am not and neither can we as a collective teach them new rules. It is what they believe in, it is what it is.

Regards.

PS: Some Nuggets from his book,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Author>www</o:Author> <o:Version>11.9999</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Author>www</o:Author> <o:Version>11.9999</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]-->
Thawaabit ‘ala darb al Jihad[/FONT]

C[/FONT]onstants on [/FONT]T[/FONT]h[/FONT]e [/FONT]P[/FONT]at[/FONT]h of [/FONT]J[/FONT]ihad[/FONT]

by[/FONT]

Shayk[/FONT]h Yusuf al ‘Uyayree[/FONT]

Lec[/FONT]t[/FONT]ur[/FONT]e series delivered by Imam Anwar al Awlaki[/FONT]
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Print</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
d. ‘They are stern towards the disbelievers’ [/FONT]– they are harsh around the kuffar[/FONT].
They are the ones who are willing to stand up against the oppression of the
kuffar[/FONT]. They are the ones who are willing to terrorize the kuffar [/FONT]as Allah says,

“Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power,[/FONT]
including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies”[/FONT]24.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you will find Muslims who are critical of other
Muslims but are very humble and kind towards the kuffar[/FONT]. They justify this by
saying it’s done for the purpose of da’wah[/FONT]; they want them to become Muslim. In
reality, that’s not the case. They are not telling them of what Islam truly is. They
are giving them a false impression of what Islam is.

f. ‘They don’t fear the blame of the blamers’ [/FONT]– the munafiqeen [/FONT]are going to blame
them. And obviously, the kuffar [/FONT]are going to speak about them negatively in the
paper, television and radio. But do these brothers care about what is said about
them? They could careless what the most famous news stations and newspapers
say about them. As long as what they are doing pleases Allah, nothing bothers
them.

Sa’ad bin Mua’dh was the ally of Banu Qurayda in his years of jahilliya[/FONT]. When he
became Muslim, he cut that relationship since Islam demands loyalty to Allah,
His Messenger, and the mo’mineen[/FONT]. Later, when Banu Qurayda surrendered they
agreed to accept the ruling of Sa’ad bin Mua’dh since he was their former ally in
jahilliya[/FONT]. The tribe of Al Aws was telling Sa’ad to be kind in his judgment towards
them. Sa’ad said, “It’s about time for Sa’ad to not fear the blame of the blamers in
the sake of Allah.” As soon as they heard that, they knew that their former allies
are dead. Sa’ad asked the Jews if they agree to his judgment; they said yes.
Likewise he asked the Muslims if they accept his ruling and they replied in the
affirmative.

Sa’ad said, “My ruling is that all of the men should be executed, and
their women, children and property be appropriated by the Muslims.” The
Prophet said, “Your ruling is the same ruling of Allah from on top of seven
heavens.”

That day, 900 Jews were killed. Why did this happen? They committed
treason.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting information on the influence of such documents on people in the following,

http://counterterrorismblog.org/2009/11/investigating_ft_hood_anwar_al.php
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Print</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This news should be taken into context. First, Washington Times is an ultra right wing anti- Islamic newspaper. In fact this news paper was once owned by Reverend Moon.

Secondly, the minority Alawite tribe of Shia sect has been ruling the majority Sunnis in Syria since the early 60's with a heavy hand. Lot of Sunni girls/women have disappeared/raped/ abducted by the Assad regime and the Baath party since then.

As the Sunni rebels are gaining ground, this Fatwa is *** for tat which is a common thing in Islam.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
What's so surprising? The only difference since the third caliph when the quran was re-edited to longest to short sura from a chonrological order is that now clerics declare things, instead of muslims knowing it themselves.

Sira(biography), hadith (traditions), quran (word of allah).

Mohammed himself raped non-muslim women, so of course it's ok for other muslims to do it.

Tejwant Singh, I think you need to look up the story of Aisha before you comment further.

She was a 6 year old married to a 55+ year old man. (guess who?)

I say everything with the upmost respect, and mean no hatred nor harm towards anyone. However, everything I have said can be double checked by checking the source material yourself.

If that is 'hateful' then I would question the material, not the person posting it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM