• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
A Tribute to Ishmeet Singh (1989-2008)

The voice of India is no more. As the news of the death of 19-year-old Ishmeet Singh trickled in on Tuesday evening, the reaction of fans and well-wishers across the country was that of shock.

Reports said Ishmeet died in a swimming pool in Male, the capital of Maldives, where he had gone for a promotional event.

A resident of Shastri Nagar, Ishmeet gave up his studies to pursue a career in music. After receiving the news, relatives, friends and unknown people thronged his house to pay tributes. Atamjit Singh, a close family friend, said: “I cannot digest the news. I met him this Sunday when he was home. He was upbeat about how his career was shaping up. He had vowed that one day he would sing for A R Rehman. And what has happened is unbelievable. I wish we had not let him go.”

SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal, who happened to be in the city, visitied the family late on Tuesday and condoled the death.

Arshpreet Kaur, Ismeet’s co-contestant from Ludhiana said: “Harshit Saxena, whom Ishmeet has beaten in the finals, broke the news to me. I could not believe it at first but once I saw the news on the television, I just sank.”

“He used to say Arshpreet didi, I have a lot to learn from you. Even, Lataji used to say that he had a great quality of voice and a unique power. He rose to stardom so early and was a promising singer,” said a tearful Arshpreet.

Ishmeet shot to fame last year after he won the Voice of India title, beating his closest rival Harshit Saxena. He was probably the first and the only sabut surat Sikh who made a mark in the glamour world. In his visit to the city during a contest, Ishmeet had recalled: “Many on the show asked me to shave my beard and get a hair cut to better my chances of winning the contest. But I refused. I wanted to win just the way I am.”

Ismeet had done a number of shows in the city and at Guru Nanak Public School where he studied. The news of his death was unbelievable for many who attended his last performance in the city on July 27 at Kothari Resorts.
No sooner did Ishmeet occupy the stage during the programme held to mark the conclusion of first Diagnostic Cardiology Summit, that the whole atmosphere turned lively.

“It was such a nice change when Ishmeet took over the stage. We were all listening to ghazals and slow music was being performed live on the stage. Yet, when he came in his performance changed the whole mood of the evening and in the next five minutes, almost everyone present around me was on dancing,” recalled Aman Sharman, an employee of Dayanand Medical College and Hospital.

The tragedy has cut short a promising life but Ishmeet will live in the memories of his fans who will best remember him as the man who sang in the long golden brown coat to pick up the Voice of India trophy.

Attachments

• ishmeet-singh.jpg
    ishmeet-singh.jpg
    13.9 KB · Reads: 437
Last edited:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Re: Ishmeet Singh (1989-2008)

To commemorate the fond memories of legendary teen singer, Ishmeet Singh, whose life was cut short by a twist of fate a year ago, Ishmeet Singh Trust - formed at the initiative of the state Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, is organizing a musical commemoration – “Tribute to Ishmeet Singh” - at Guru Nanak Bhawan in Ludhiana on 29th July from 7 pm to 9 pm. Prominent among the participating celebrities are Ishmeet’s Voice of India co-contestants Abbhas, Priyani and Irfan–who were always appreciative of the singing talent as well as humility of Ishmeet Singh. These artists specially flying in from Mumbai will bring with them the love and memory from Bollywood of all those with whom Ishmeet Singh got associated.

L’ll Champ Prince of Patiala, Rohanpreet Singh along with the winner of Waar Parivar contest Haneet Singh of Maosere Bhai fame will also be there to applaud the inspirational role and contribution of Ishmeet Singh in fostering young Sikh talent in the world of music and performing arts. Vipul from Amritsar, who was a strong contestant for Voice of India-II, will sing songs as will Gurleen Kaur and Manjot Singh – the talented cousins of Ishmeet Singh.

This memorial function could not be complete without the participation of Ishmeet’s mentors and so we will have Prof. Sukhwant Singh of Jawaddi Taksal, who taught him classical vocal music, Aashim who groomed him for bollywood songs and as well as his uncle Dr. Charan Kamal Singh a music director and singer who refined him with finer tips of quality singing.

In addition there will also be poetic tributes and multimedia presentation of the life sketch of Ishmeet Singh.

While still in his teens, with the dint of his hard work, grace of God and unflinching support of music lovers across Punjab, India and the world, Ishmeet Singh became an international star. His fame became a rallying point for Sikh talent to be recognized and nurtured by various institutions at the state, national and international levels.
A web space will be launched during ‘Tribute to Ishmeet Singh’ for one and all to pay tributes from anywhere in the world in order to recall the voice which enthralled the music lovers across borders and that still reverberates whenever there is talk of the role of Sikhs in performing arts.

Jathedar Hira Singh Gabria, the state’s Culture and Tourism Minister and Vice Chairperson of the Ishmeet Singh Trust will preside over the function and K J S Cheema; Special Secretary to Chief Minister, Punjab shall be the Guest of Honour. Vikas Garg, DC, Ludhiana and Chairman, Management Committee of Ishmeet Singh Trust shall offer vote of thanks.

ISHMEET SINGH TRUST

Moved by the death of Ishmeet Singh, the Chief Minister of Punjab, Parkash Singh Badal had said at his bhog that, “there was a unique pull in his voice and overall personality which led one and all to sit glued before television screens and it is very painful to know that he is no more.” Committing to do everything to perpetuate his memory so that others are inspired, it was decided to set up the ‘Ishmeet Singh Trust’.

The Chief Minister of Punjab is the chairperson of the Governing Body of Trust, with the Cultural affairs Minister as its ex-officio Vice-Chairperson. The Secretary of the Cultural Affairs Department shall ex-officio be the Secretary of Governing Body. The Deputy Commissioner of Ludhiana shall ex-officio be the Joint Secretary of the Governing Body. Dr. Charan Kamal Singh, uncle of Ishmeet Singh is Convener of Governing Body of Ishmeet Singh Trust.

There are many other musical stalwarts who are members of the Governing Body of the Trust and who have promised to make all out efforts to provide impetus to the legendary contribution of Ishmeet Singh. These include Singh Bandhu, Hans Raj Hans, Bhai Baldeep Singh, Prof. Kartar Singh, Mrs. Dolly Gulleria, Bhai Harjinder Singh, Pr. Sukhwant Singh, and Jasbir Kaur Khalsa.

A Management Committee headed by the Deputy Commissioner of Ludhiana has been set up to manage the affairs of the Trust. The members of the Management Committee include Pr. Sukhwant Singh, Prof. Kartar Singh, Jasbir Kaur Khalsa, Bhai Harjinder Singh, S. Ranjodh Singh and Er. Gurinderpal Singh. Ishmeet Singh’s uncle Dr. Charan Kamal Singh, who networked far and wide and played a key role in garnering support for Ishmeet Singh during the Voice of India contest is the life-time Secretary of the management Committee of the Trust.

An entrepreneur Ranjodh Singh and an expert architect Gurinderpal Singh are also the members of Ishmeet Singh Trust to monitor the infra-structural development of projects to be undertaken by Ishmeet Singh Trust.

The primary focus of the Ishmeet Singh Trust is the formation of ‘Ishmeet Singh Music Academy’ for which effective steps are underway and which should see the light of the day in less than a year.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Re: Ishmeet Singh (1989-2008)

YouTube - A poetic Tribute to Ishmeet Singh by H S Bawa

This poem was penned on the night of 29th July, the day Ishmeet died. It was recorded on 31st of July after his creamation. It appeared in DAILY AJIT on 3rd of August, the day of his Antim Ardaas.

Added afterwards : This video was played on the 20th Birthday of Ishmeet Singh at Ludhiana, in a function organised by Govt. of Punjab. S. Bikramjit Singh Majithia,S.Hira Singh Gabria and family members of Ishmeet Singh were present. Renowned Singers Hans Raj Hans, Harbhajan Mann, Wadali Brothers, Gurmeet Bawa, Dolly Guleria, Manpreet Akhtar, Lakhwinder Wadali and Paali Detwalia paid musical tribute to the late Ishmeet Singh.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Ishmeet Singh, The Shooting Star

by JESSI KAUR

It is hard to believe that the "Voice of India", Ishmeet Singh, is no more. Like a shooting star, he's come and gone ... in a blink of the eye!
As I heard the shocking news this morning, the floodgates of recent memories opened and tears flowed unabashedly.
There was a buzz at the IIGS's 68th International Sikh Youth Camp in May earlier this year in Khandala, near Pune (India).
Ishmeet was coming to camp!
During the evening divan (service), I found myself sitting next to a young 19-year-old with a look of cheerful innocence on his face.
I remember how his jaw dropped when I asked him if he sang ghazals or Bollywood songs, or whether he was a classical singer. He looked at me as if to say, "Which planet are you from?"
I kicked myself for showing such ignorance when I saw him smothered by campers who were simply ecstatic to have him in their midst.
I explained to him that I did not watch Indian TV at all. His smile told me that I was forgiven.
Over the next few days, as I got to know Ishmeet, I saw what a special young man he was.
Not because he had just won the Star TV contest and become the Voice of India, or because he felt that the award was a special gift from Guru Nanak on whose prakash utsav (Birth Anniversary)day he received the award.
Not because right after he won the award, he promised that his first album would be of shabads, or because he took his role as an icon for the Sikh youth seriously.
Ishmeet, to me, was really special because his success had not gone to his head and, at heart, he remained the sweet, simple boy from Ludhiana with the love of Sikhi swelling in his heart.
He saw himself as blazing a trail for his young Sikh brothers and sisters who he hoped would follow their dreams, achieving great successes while proudly displaying the Khalsa form and spirit. He felt that he had been given a great responsibility: to inspire and to coax the best out of the Sikh youth.
Ishmeet had a freshness about him. He became a part of the camp routine, performing melodious kirtan in his velvet voice during the morning and evening divans. He sang from the heart in a voice that sounded like silk. He sat through the lectures and avidly participated in discussions.
During an afternoon session, when the rest of the youth was hemming and hawing about what they would be looking for in a mate, and answers like "someone who respects my parents" or "someone who is well educated and independent" were unconvincingly bandied around, Ishmeet's "I am looking for a beautiful Sardarni" brought peals of laughter and approving pats on his shoulder.
Had he found his beautiful Sardarni? He did not want to shatter the mystique. But something told me that there was a young Sikhni out there who had already stolen his heart.
Every evening after langar, the courtyard of the campground rang out with the beat of Punjabi songs and popular Bollywood numbers. The campers sang and swayed with him and screamed as he broke into familiar rhythms.
Ishmeet never hogged the show but passed the mike around, encouraging everyone to take his or her turn to sing. The joy of singing with a celebrity shone on the young faces of the campers! I am sure there were some that dreamed of following in his footsteps.
Suddenly, it seemed, there was no glass ceiling - even in the bright and glittery world of music and show-biz.
He was dogged at each step with some camper or the other badgering him for a photograph or an autograph. Girls ran circles around him and young boys clambered all over him, tugging, hugging, touching, hoping that a speck of his charisma would rub off on them.
Never for a moment did Ishmeet show an iota of annoyance. When someone commented on his patience, he said that it was only because of those who loved him that he had tasted fame and glory. Otherwise, he would be like so many out there...unrecognized and forgotten on the wayside.
Was everything hunky dory on his road to fame, I asked him in a private conversation.
Ishmeet already had lucrative playback singing assignments, was brand ambassador for products, had offers to anchor TV shows and to star in TV serials.
Life was looking good.
A cloud passed over his sweet countenance, when he heard my question.
"It is very lonely at the top, didi", he said to me.
"Lonely?" I queried, "with thousands of fans and adoring masses?"
"Yes, lonely", he repeated.
"Lonely because those that are close to you become jealous of your success. You become a stranger to your friends because you do not inhabit their world anymore. They shut you out and move on because they view you as a celebrity, and no more a part of their everyday lives".
He said that his days were spent in rigorous recordings and evenings found him exhausted. As he lay in bed, missing the warmth of home and musing on what his friends in the neighbourhood were doing, he was too tired to call them.
And even when he did, there were more stilted silences than real conversations. If he talked to them about his world, they would think he was showing off, he said, and they did not share their stories because he was in a "different league" now. Slowly, the connection broke and awkwardness crept in.
Ishmeet said that the joy of knowing that his people rallied behind him kept him going.
If his community had showered him with affection, Ishmeet, too, had touched everyone with his special brand of warmth. His ready smile was like a sunburst, stirring everyone around him.
I met him again at the camp held in Dehradun last month ... only a few short weeks ago! ... and we chatted about his plans for the future.
He was going to come to the Darbar-e-Khalsa in Los Angeles in December and later go on a tour of the U.S.
Plans and dreams that have today been snapped midstream!
Plans that will now be washed away by the collective tears of the community.
His sudden and tragic death by drowning has left millions of his fans with a deep sense of loss.
Our children had finally found a Sardar heart-throb, someone who was handsome and charming and in show-biz, someone that was giving the turban a positive image, a role model for the youth, an inspiration for all. And now ...
Haunted by a bundle of unanswered "why's", we will replay his music over and over again to fill the gaping hole of our bereavement.
This evening, when I sought refuge in Baba Ji's room to pray for peace for his departed soul , the vaak on page 751 of Guru Granth Sahib spoke of a life touched by grace, of a life well lived:
Precious is human life; only the pious are granted it.
And, through Grace, body and mind are both comforted by His Love.
Having traded in Truth, thou depart fully accomplished;
Surrendering to His Will, received art thou with honour in His Court.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM