• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Western Culture Bringing About Degeneration In Sikhism?

Kelly ji

I detect a negative spin and some elitism which is fully understandable and nothing to be ashamed of, considering the conditions you were raised in (corporate america..where the dollar is mightier than lifes minor foibles)...read your words again; carefully and honestly

there are 3 types of people in this world:

those who speak the truth

those who lie to others and

those who lie to themselves

"cut surds"?
what is the direct meaning of this carefully manufactured word?

and I thankyou in advance for dancing around my questions

PS: the GOI is the from your "hinduization" comment. upon closer inspection I believe both enitities are interelated than initially meets the eye.

Apr 4, 2007
Kelly ji

I detect a negative spin and some elitism which is fully understandable and nothing to be ashamed of, considering the conditions you were raised in (corporate america..where the dollar is mightier than lifes minor foibles)...read your words again; carefully and honestly

"cut surds"?

PS: the GOI is the from your "hinduization" comment. upon closer inspection I believe both enitities are interelated than initially meets the eye.

so now you imply that i'm a liar. nice. are you sure this isn't personal? and you know NOTHING about the conditions i was raised in, but thanks for playing.

"cut surd" is a very common term for sikhs who cut their hair. surd is a short/slang form of "sardar". cut obviously refers to the hair cut. it's not "carefully manufactured", in fact, if i had been "careful", i probably wouldn't have used it, because i should have known you'd attack me for it. it's not meant to be an insult, i know many short haired people born to sikh families who refer to themselves in this way. perhaps it's not common slang where you live, but it's pretty common in the US west coast.

hinduization of sikhs has very little to do with the GOI, unless the GOI is run by hindutva... but last time i checked the PM was a sikh, so there goes your extremely tenuous connection.

please try to read my words at face value. i promise, i'm not hiding any secret derogatory or negative messages in coded words. i speak plainly what's on my mind, and i wish you'd do me the favor of reading my words rather than what you want my words to mean.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
what a post...whew!!!!!!!!!!

getting hair cut might or mightnot have linkage to hrassment...sometimes its personal choice or own inerpretation of SGGS, which i think every person is entitled to, as Guru -Sikh relation is one to one...and meanings and interpretations cannot be forced upon.

we confuse religion and philosophy and that's when problems and debates creep in.

jasleen ji

you post was offensive, not only to blue collared ppl but maybe also to people who might have hair cut. does keeping hair mean some kind of elitism?

of course religions are built to give the feeling of elite!!!

what a stark contrast to what the underlying philosophy states.

anyways, you apologised only to blue collared ppl...so just brought up this point.
:) no offense taken personally :)

Apr 4, 2007
jasleen ji

you post was offensive, not only to blue collared ppl but maybe also to people who might have hair cut. does keeping hair mean some kind of elitism?

no offense was intended to blue collar workers, i was simply stating my personal observation based on my interactions with west coast sikhs.

keeping hair does not imply elitism, it shows dedication to Guru sahib's hukam. bas.

i will apologize again, as i think my english may be poor and is confusing to some people.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Kelly ji

"cut surds"?

Cut surds is fairly accepted term and is in circulation for quite some time. There is nothing wrong in its usage. Some Sehajdharis prefer to be known as cut surds as compared to Mona sikhs.

Although I may bite sometimes; it’s important to notice that my fangs are not filled with venom but truth serum.

please try to read my words at face value. i promise, i'm not hiding any secret derogatory or negative messages in coded words. i speak plainly what's on my mind, and i wish you'd do me the favor of reading my words rather than what you want my words to mean.

Any person with a millivolt of synaptic activity could extract the meaning of your original post (it was in the linguistic prose…a comparison…of good vs not so good or bad)…and it’s a good thing you apologized for it. So I would like to say thank you … that gives me so much more respect for you Jasleen ji and a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction; that I got through to you.

But that doesn’t, not even for a second, mean I do not understand your post or misinterpret you…you’re a fantastic and genuine person…just put a little bit more thought into your posts, it’ll save me time and effort.

Now, as far as your name goes… I honestly liked Kelly better, but I will call you Jasleen if you wish it be so…
i was also contemplating a new name for myself, so why dont you go ahead and call me "Big Pappy".(an honorable name bestowed upon me by my friends).

aside:

Now for my contribution to this thread. Yes, ‘Westernization’ is the greatest threat to Sikhism. Because western culture brought with it democracy and the corporation, which replaced the existing Asiatic Mode of production (it’s that simple and natural). Do you fight it? Or do you submit to the new world order? I haven’t a clue, nor an alternative viable model, which renders any action against the establishment as useless.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Cut surds is fairly accepted term and is in circulation for quite some time. There is nothing wrong in its usage. Some Sehajdharis prefer to be known as cut surds as compared to Mona sikhs.>>>

hahaha

how many "types" of sikhs are there...???

LOL

Apr 4, 2007
Any person with a millivolt of synaptic activity could extract the meaning of your original post (it was in the linguistic prose…a comparison…of good vs not so good or bad)…and it’s a good thing you apologized for it. So I would like to say thank you … that gives me so much more respect for you Jasleen ji and a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction; that I got through to you.

But that doesn’t, not even for a second, mean I do not understand your post or misinterpret you…you’re a fantastic and genuine person…just put a little bit more thought into your posts, it’ll save me time and effort.

i apologize for my poor english. as i've said several times, i honestly meant no "good vs bad", only an example of how different communities integrate into society. i will try to work on my phrasing in the future.

Lets all learn to laugh things off (its never good to leave something like this hanging)

Let me tell you a story:

My next door neighbours, Lady Elaine and Fred Buttercup, have a family. All four of them are ballet dancers. Every night, when the moon is full, they put on Raccoon costumes and dance in our street to a variety of Salzburg era symphonies. The play starts in old Tripoli where Hannibal was born and continues until the set changes to that of Carthaginian docks and barracks. It always stops short of the Roman invasion. Every full moon that passes I see a different play; with different scenario’s, different lines, different sets but the main plot and the characters never change. There is the mother, the father and the children…3 characters

so the raccoons pretend as if they are watching history pass them by
theres a mother raccoon…but its actually just Lady Elaine
theres a father raccoon…not to worry its just Fred Buttercup
and there are two children raccoons
a boy raccoon and
a girl raccoon (synonymous and joint at the hip)

It is counter-intuitive considering raccoons are indigenously North American in origin and the play starts in Tripoli? However, the play is being conducted in North America
Are you following?

I get up every morning feeling like Hannibal crossing the Alps on an elephant. By the end of the day I am broken and tired… And enjoy everything in-between even the broken and tired part.

now what can you possibly make of this story????? (just dont tell me...i don't want to hear it...just keep with you)

Art has no boundaries no sentiments, no morals, just aesthetics and taste.

My internet addiction post coupled with the new one on Objective Morality addresses all these issues.

Cheers (considering you did not approve of toodles…inside joke).. I too am sorry

what matters is closest to me..and she failed there :)

opinions galore

may i kindly ask where and on what?

i'm not going to try and debate you or anything....I know there is something in what she is saying that is wrong...I myself am having trouble pin-pointing exactly where it is. :crazy:

but i dont think its on her discussion of altruism ... i think shes nailed that head on (well at least for me)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
altruism -

hmm

here is something to ponder

she fails to explain involuntary altruistic behaviour

eg

you catch hold of a person who just stumbled

what do you have to gain?

nothing...yet you helped.....

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<opinions galore

may i kindly ask where and on what? >>

free spirit...

the philosophy espoused by her is unable to distinguish between free spirit/soul (if you may call it) and mind.

and in my understanding and belief( experience) both are different

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM