• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Waheguru Unchanging?

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
I hear Sikhs say that Ik Onkar is unchanging and it's always troubled me. I while just thinking about information theory and it hit me why it was troubling me, you can understand something without change. If something is unchanging then it contains no information. The question that was bothering me how can you be a an enlightener without any information? In my view god is forever consistent, but he does not seam to be nondifferentiable.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I hear Sikhs say that Ik Onkar is unchanging and it's always troubled me. I while just thinking about information theory and it hit me why it was troubling me, you can understand something without change. If something is unchanging then it contains no information. The question that was bothering me how can you be a an enlightener without any information? In my view god is forever consistent, but he does not seam to be nondifferentiable.
if something is infinitely perfect, how can it be any more perfect?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
If Universe and Creator are one... the same thing essentially but one is from Nirgun ONEness unmanifest and the other Sargun manifest and many, then logic dictates that Creator must posses ALL information of ALL time.

Like a book sitting on a table with the cover closed. All the story contained within but unchanging and ONE entity as the book. However when immersed in the story the timeline becomes apparent as does the entire world in that story along with all the characters.

If Creator is contained in the Creation and Creation contained in the Creator as many shabads seem to be saying, then from Creator point of view it is unchanging because it already contains all information that was, is, and ever will be... like looking at that closed book sitting on the table. (Another member on here compared to a game he wrote code for - sitting back and looking at the hard drive it’s congained on, its one and unchanging. But run the game and...)

Annnnnnnnd cue Harry Ji....

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I hear Sikhs say that Ik Onkar is unchanging
...what, at a Lunatic Asylum where you practice as a doctor ?
it's always troubled me.
Hmnnnn...sad, very sad ! it aren't your fault, you've been case hardened. Like they say, "you are the company you keep".
I while just thinking about information theory
..Ek onkar is not your intangible concept that can be expressed in strings of 1s and 0s. It is an existence, something you'll never experience whilst in that disposition.
The question that was bothering me how can you be a an enlightener without any information?
...try magic
In my view god is forever consistent,
..oh you know about God ? what a local one that teaches you to make fun of other religions - shame ! let me guess, the name of that God is "nuts" !

Dr.Alta

SPNer
Apr 16, 2018
If Creator is contained in the Creation and Creation contained in the Creator as many shabads seem to be saying, then from Creator point of view it is unchanging because it already contains all information that was, is, and ever will be... .
We do not call the Creator the great know it all. We can him an enlightner.

le. (Another member on here compared to a game he wrote code for - sitting back and looking at the hard drive it’s congained on, its one and unchanging. But run the game and...)
But the game doesn't tell you anything just by being on the hard drive. it's when the game is being played that it is giving you information.

..Ek onkar is not your intangible concept that can be expressed in strings of 1s and 0s. It is an existence, something you'll never experience whilst in that disposition.

...try magic
Can you help 'magic' me some 'experience' so I may change my disposition?

..oh you know about God ?
I'm learning.
what a local one that teaches you to make fun of other religions - shame ! let me guess, the name of that God is "nuts" !
Are you mocking a religion for mocking a religion?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
We do not call the Creator the great know it all. We can him an enlightner.

Actually Gurbani says Creation was born of the light and the light is in the creation and also that creation and creator are one. Concepts of Nirgun and Sargun are also in Gurbani. Nirgun or ONEness - unmanifest containing all of the manifest, Sargun expression within itself. If the ALL is contained within the ONE and from ONEness point of view all information that has existed, does exist and always will exist is unchanging and unmanifest from that perspective.

But the game doesn't tell you anything just by being on the hard drive. it's when the game is being played that it is giving you information.

Exactly. And Creator as a whole and one exists from that perspective outside the game. Within the game there is change because the player experiences it’s timeline and makes decisions and affects what happens within it. But from the perspective of the coder, all the possible outcomes and the entire game world already exist, sitting as code on a powered off hard drive... as one.

Can you help 'magic' me some 'experience' so I may change my disposition?

All you need is within your own self. Read and apply Gurbani daily.

Oh and someone once said Magic is just science (or underlying truth to reality) which has yet to be discovered or understood. People who lived in Mideival Europe probably would burn us at the stake if we showed them a modern day mobile.

I'm learning.
Are you mocking a religion for mocking a religion?

Who’s doing any mocking? We all strive to discuss Sikh philosophy and the message in Gurbani while continuing to learn.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I hear Sikhs say that Ik Onkar is unchanging and it's always troubled me.

Alta ji,

Guru Fateh.

Please describe Ik Ong kaar for me so I am able to give the answer. Thanks.

it's always troubled me
Why did it trouble you? Would you be kind enough to share some troubling experiences about it?

I while just thinking about information theory and it hit me why it was troubling me, you can understand something without change.
Sorry to burst your bubble but change is the only constant in life.

If something is unchanging then it contains no information.
You mean it contains
No NEW information.Yup.

The question that was bothering me how can you be a an enlightener without any information?
I agree.

In my view god is forever consistent, but he does not seam to be nondifferentiable.
This contradicts everything you said above.
Please describe God along with Ik Ong Kaar with tangible examples so I can understand where you are coming from.
Thanks, again.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM