• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Khalsa A Male Person?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

Mostly baptized Sikhs greet others, specially Sikhs with 'Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh'.

My curiosity is to know whether Khalsa refers a male person or every Gender.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear all!

Mostly baptized?????? Sikhs greet others, specially Sikhs with 'Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh'.:crazy:

My curiosity is to know whether Khalsa refers a male person or every Gender.

Balbir Singh

Balbir ji

We should always pray for truth!

Most Sikhs greet each other with Waheguru ji ka Khalsa! Waheguru ji ki Fateh! I am not a baptized Sikh. And I greet others this way about 20 times during gurdwara service, before, and after gurdwara service, at other times when I run into another Sikh, and in many of my notes and letters to other Sikhs. We also greet each other with Sat Sri Akaal and Sat Nam. And sometimes I just say Fateh!

What are you getting at? There has to be an encrypted meaning somewhere here.:8-:)

Khalsa is not restricted to men. I can provide a list of Khalsa women in the public eye if you are interested.:}{}{}:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Baby Eagle raised in a chicken pen
Munn Tu Jyot Swaroop Hai, Apna Mool Pachaan
God plus mind is man and man minus mind is God.
Everything follows a natural tendency to return to its original state and source. If you turn a lighted candle upside down, yet its flame will go up; for its source is the sun. If you throw a ball of clay in the air as hard as you like, it will but return to earth again from where it came. If the soul gets freed from mind and senses it will automatically be drawn toward God.

bawaj

SPNer
Oct 22, 2006
I think you may be confusing masculinity/ femininity with gender. The word Khalsa is a masculine word while fateh is a feminine word. They are not particularly related to gender; i.e. man or woman. It becomes a bit confusing because such rules are not prevalent in English.

In fact the question you raise is valid because it has been raised in hinduism as well. for example, Shiva is masculine but Shiva himself has no power... the power comes from Shakti which is a feminine word. The union of shiva and shakti is the union of masculine and feminine which then becomes the embodiment of the transcendental oversoul.

I hope this helps. if not we can continue this discussion further, i would very much enjoy that.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I think you may be confusing masculinity/ femininity with gender. The word Khalsa is a masculine word while fateh is a feminine word. They are not particularly related to gender; i.e. man or woman. It becomes a bit confusing because such rules are not prevalent in English.

This is a very good way of explaining why a masculine word can also refer to a female person. In other words the word itself is gendered but the usage of the word is not.

I hope this helps. if not we can continue this discussion further, i would very much enjoy that.

So thanks,
Fateh!

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

People speak and write Waheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa. I never heard anybody saying Waheguru Jee Kee Khalsa.
Have I understood it correctly? Khalsa is a neutral Gender or all Gender.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Waheguru Jee Kee Khalsa.

Balbir ji, I never hear that either.

I remember once reading: Unlike other languages (such as French, German, or Spanish) the Punjabi language is liberal about the gender of nouns. A masculine noun can refer to men and women in the collective sense and as a general term.

"Khalsa" can be both a man and a woman, according to respected bawaj ji. This was my understanding also -- before you began the thread. An example in English would be "sailor" because men and women who sail boats or serve in the Navy are sailors. There is not feminine equivalent in English for sailor. Sailor is not qualified as a Man-sailor or a Lady-sailor. Strangely an aviator (one who flies a plane or jet) can only be used for a man. A woman who flies a plane or a jet is an aviatrix (in English).

So in conclusion-- Khalsa can be use to address a man or a woman.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
the word "Khalsa" here is the COLLECTIVE BODY..not any "individual".
Waheguru Ji Ka KHALSA..the "KHALSA" collectively belongs to Waheguru and hence Khalsa's Fateh... victory also emanates from Waheguru.
2. Banda Singh bahadur also sought to establish the KHALSA RULE in the territories he conquered - it wasnt individual rule and slowly became MISL rule..
3. Maharaja Ranjit singh Jis rule was also called "Sarkar E KHALSA " meaning collective rule of the Khalsa Brotherhood..( although later on it became his personal family rule and was then destroyed by infighting)

Gyani jarnail Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

Kabeer Jee used the word 'Khaalsay' in Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee. Were Khaalsay existing earlier also?

khu kbIr jn Bey Kwlsy pRym Bgiq ijh jwnI ]
khu kbIr jn BE Kwlsy pRym Bgiq ijh jwnI ]
kahu kabeer jan bha-ay khaalsay praym bhagati jih jaanee. SGGS 655-1
Says Kabeer, people have become Khaalsay who have known love, worship.

The word 'Khaalsay' is plural. This may be for all those who have come to know love, worshiping. All others may be a male or female 'Kaal' falls on them.
So, Khalsa is plural also.
From your posts one may feel that Khalsa is not a single One.

Some refer to a poem from the Granth called 'Sarab Loh Granth'. The poet mentions many attributes of Khalsa in there.
A young person wants all those attributes for him. Is it all right if he starts writing Khalsa after his name?
By the way the poet in that poem also says that Khalsa is his caste. I do not know which poem says that Khalsa is Guru Panth. May I ask why it is not Guru Caste?
Can someone please throw some light on this, not the torch please? Thanks.

Balbir Singh

Feb 7, 2008
Balbir ji

When we refer to khalsa in sikhism we refer to a specific person who has undergone initiation as prescribed by Guru Gobind singh ji in 1699.Do not confuse it with other khalsa.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM