• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Worth ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Vikram ji

I don't know what you are trying to ask us.

Are you saying, Is the craze to go West worth it? Also it is not clear who you are asking when you say: Is it worth it? Please clarify this for me.

Does "craze" refer to the waves of people emigrating from the Punjab and other parts of India to the western hemisphere? Is it worth it for so many people to emigrate to North America? and also To Mexico and parts of South America?

Personally, I believe that these waves of emigration have been good for the US and Canada. In the West we gain smart, educated, industrious people who have deeply held religious, spiritual, moral, civic and social values. Who can argue with that? There are many positives and it is hard to find any negatives.

An entirely unique view of God's relationship with all humankind has been introduced to the West in the form of Sikhism, and it is an attainable belief system. Sikhs are no longer exotic figures that are part of a foggy understanding of British colonial history.

My 87 year old mother was in India for a time during World War II. She encountered Sikhs from a distance, but she really didn't understand who Sikhs were. Now she is full of questions. Sikhs are her neighbors in all the streets in of her neighborhood. Jogging, riding motorcycles, walking dogs, going to work, transporting kids here and there in SUV's.

No one has to wonder what Sikhism is all about. These days the answers are all around us. So it is worth it if you look at the situation from a Western point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2007
Dear Vikram and aad ji,
From the point of view of an Indian, he may have noi craze to go to US and settle there. i can say this with confidence for the IT professional. These days there are many economic oppurtunities that of offered to Indians in India.
I think for an educated person there are lots of careers here and the salaries even on full conversion at the present exchange rate of Dollar and Rupeee are fairly comparable and one has the benefit of living here in HOME, Sweet HOME. In some cases Indians earn here much more than what he would have earned in US.

jo sukh chajhu de Chabare,
Na balkh na bukhare........

bye for time being.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2007
I think Wat the dudes saying is when you move to the west you leave behind all you gained from the east, simple. Dont matter how much you drum in your views into your children. The new society, new world what they will see, will change them, to conform to their new way of life. And lets face it, if they want to progress in their new world. Its the only way they can go!!! You have to get on with the world the world is too big!! You wont last!! When you move to a new world you will be a minority in a new society and the majority will take effect!! Unless you understand that losing your country doesnt mean losing your identity. Thats where your faith takes effect what you believe is wright and what you believe is wrong!!! The rest is down to principals. Live life with morals, integrity and dignity like the gurbani says and when you look at yourself you will realise you never really was that far away from your ideals in the east!! Then as your faith in your beliefs grow, progress on them further which makes it that more easier to take on the world!! Just a thought???

May 27, 2007
Thanks Vikram ji for your candid reply. Why are sikhs running to Canada, US and Uk will have to be studied. But they are far away from their roots which are in India and moreso in Punjab. The net result is the fall in sikhi value. Visit the site Of sikhnet and see for yourself as to how sikhs find themselves lost in the alien cultures.

Americans are learning sikhi and teaching us the same. Look at the books published in US on sikhi. I think they would be much more than the books published in India. It is good that sikhi values are recognised but not many people become sikhs. Infact the population of sikhs have shown a decline during the last two years. Is it the growth of a religion.If the outflow or brain drain continues it is likely to shatter the Indian youth which is feeling more disillusioned on account of the changed values in the west which he is trying to ape.

Do you think sikh parents are a happy lot. Barring a few almost all of NRIs do repent that their kids are not following 5ks of sikhi. I think there should be a balance netween what one wants .If one wants money one should be in the west and earn money and come back to enjoy that one has earned. If one settles out there I think it is a sin so far as the religion is concerned. NRIs also do not practice 'daswand'. Do not tell me that they do.

It is not a freedom that you enjoy at the cost of the religion that you are born into.There are lots of things that one can do in India with half or even less resources herein India in the HOME of SIKHI and the Home of Gurus.

Have you all forgotten your brothers and sisters who had seen 1984 and are still to get the compensation from Indian Government. Thousands of widows have already died and many have become a psychic cases beyond rectification.

It is no use singing tunes while sitting in the west and also praise the sikhi. Sikhi goes to hell the time you decide to move out, barring few exceptions.A one man's gain is the loss of a dozen in India. Your simplistic model is not appreciated. All those who have made alien land as their abode are first class traitors.It is the way we se it and think. They owe a lot to sikhi and to their brothers and sisters in India.

What If the name of Punjab is not Khalistan ,it is still my home.Let Mr Chauhan sing songs and be dead while singing songs for khalistan. He enjoyed his life in US and Canada. There was no personal sacrifice. It would have been better if he had worked here like Simranjit singh mann who fought his way in India and not blew his horns from a third country. Us is a country of people who speak soft and kick youwhere it hurts most. They are all bunch Of Bush who will sell F-16 fighters to Pakistan and then Offer India the same fighters. Let the two cats fight and the monkey takes the bread,an old story. Canada , I am not aware of. India is the home of Sikhs and we can voice ourselves better here.

Let anyone who is interested in sikhi should come here and learn.The foreigners , especially Americans[ barring a few], are having the best of both the worlds.It is their destiny as the Gurbani says. It is for the 'sikhs' to be kicked hard and harder and keep on being kicked like a football till they are 'goaled', it is also their destiny. As guru ji says that everything is pre-destined. I think there is a parallel thread like this.Let the 'parvachan' continue ,but sikhs will be ruled by Tom and **** till they learn to have a platform. SGPC is not a platform. Let every siokh who plans to move out take a second vow before SGPC or some Panthic institution that they will notlet the sikhi go down the drain. Yes , Sir, the world is very large and let sikhs not get drownedin alien country. India is the right place for them. Cannot some of you start some institution like Punjab and sind bank where in sikh youthe were given preference. We were doing very well bt 1984 blasted everything. But we cannot harp on this till eternity. Look at the kashmiris. They are living under Barrel for last 60 year. But they are holding to the ground. But we are a tired lot. We do not know as to how to earn that rightly belong to us.Going out and then provocating the Government Of India is no solution as you have 90 percent Of sikhs in India.

In my view it is a crazy idea to move out onlyfor the heck Of it. What if we earn more and do not know how to spend. We shall leae everything here when we are dead. So what big use is to earn more that we need.Accumulation Of wealth is an economic crime. Those who move out are thus commiting crime against the society against the srituality agaianst their brothers and sisters and against their family as they will never be able to teach the kids the sikhi values.

Sorry for mistakes.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: