• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Is Halal Meat Scientifically Proven Right?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Attempts to connect Science to Hallal via blood etc are merely attempts to cloak a purely RELIGIOUS symbol with new fangled "Science/pseudo science/various dubious researches, experiments, studies ,etc etc."....Earlier Sacrificial and diet Laws of Jews, then Christians and later Muslims are all purely RELIGIOUS BASED. Jews and Muslims will NEVER even go near NON HALAL..even if all the scientists prove it RIGHT and PROPER.....BEST for health, disease free etc Lately so many Cows died of Brain Mad Cow disease...yet if such cows were Halal..all Muslims would eat..and a healthy goat jhatka they will avoid like the Plague..thats an undeniable and incontestable FACT.
No need to feel GUILTY..or defend or feel offended..its what the Prophet himself ordered..so obey HIM. simple as that...even if its not science..or whatever..its what HE ORDAINED as RIGHT for MUSLIMS.PERIOD.

pervez

SPNer
Aug 11, 2012
I think you are mistaken here. I dont see any muslim feeling guilty about eating Halal meat. I dont see where you get that from my posts. Still thanks for the sympthetic advice. If I ever feel guilty of eating halal I will remember your advice.

One of the critera for Halal in the health of the animals is that they not eat excrement(due to starvation etc) and not eat the meat of their own kind or even eat what they normally would not eat. So a animal which eats meat or any meat based protien would not fall in the category of Halal. When the mad cow disease was detected recently it gave a boost to halal as many halal operations did observe the regulation that animal protien is not given to the slaughtred animal also after the mad cow incident even those slaughter operations who had not paid attention to the feed of animals took consnigance and incorporated it in their routine.

Islam gives freedom to all communities to do their own self regulation of the community on internal matters. That is why as recent as last year the Al-Azhar institution of Egypt came to defence of christians being able to follow their own personal law courts for each sect. There was a concerted campain among some of the so called progressives among christian sects and among the so called progressive/secular muslims that with too many chiristian sects it was difficult to resolve diffrences between issues related to christian personal laws of marriage, divorce, inheritance etc. Their solution was to propose a common law for all christian sects. Natrually the most of the people among christian sects opposed this as each wants to maintain own identity. To their defense came the Religous establishment of Egypt which ruled that no matter how complex the situation is with diffrent sects among christians it is an obligation of the state to uphold their rights and provide for proper funding and suppourt so that the state machinery can provide the services just as they provide to muslims.

It is for this reason that even in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Dubai etc Christians who are native can brew their own alcohol or import for their consumtion and also meat their own way. They are however not allowed to sell it to muslims.

There were plenty of Rajputs in the muslim armies of many Mughal Emperors so the claim of only muslims were allowed to keep sword is difficult to accept. It could be a typical response by administration in restive provinces.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
I think you are mistaken here. I dont see any muslim feeling guilty about eating Halal meat. I dont see where you get that from my posts. Still thanks for the sympthetic advice. If I ever feel guilty of eating halal I will remember your advice.

One of the critera for Halal in the health of the animals is that they not eat excrement(due to starvation etc) and not eat the meat of their own kind or even eat what they normally would not eat. So a animal which eats meat or any meat based protien would not fall in the category of Halal. When the mad cow disease was detected recently it gave a boost to halal as many halal operations did observe the regulation that animal protien is not given to the slaughtred animal also after the mad cow incident even those slaughter operations who had not paid attention to the feed of animals took consnigance and incorporated it in their routine.

Islam gives freedom to all communities to do their own self regulation of the community on internal matters. That is why as recent as last year the Al-Azhar institution of Egypt came to defence of christians being able to follow their own personal law courts for each sect. There was a concerted campain among some of the so called progressives among christian sects and among the so called progressive/secular muslims that with too many chiristian sects it was difficult to resolve diffrences between issues related to christian personal laws of marriage, divorce, inheritance etc. Their solution was to propose a common law for all christian sects. Natrually the most of the people among christian sects opposed this as each wants to maintain own identity. To their defense came the Religous establishment of Egypt which ruled that no matter how complex the situation is with diffrent sects among christians it is an obligation of the state to uphold their rights and provide for proper funding and suppourt so that the state machinery can provide the services just as they provide to muslims.

It is for this reason that even in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Dubai etc Christians who are native can brew their own alcohol or import for their consumtion and also meat their own way. They are however not allowed to sell it to muslims.

There were plenty of Rajputs in the muslim armies of many Mughal Emperors so the claim of only muslims were allowed to keep sword is difficult to accept. It could be a typical response by administration in restive provinces.

In the above write up you have said that one of the critera for Halal in the health of the animals is that they not eat excrement.
Any explanation why Muslims do not avoid eating chicken on the ground of "Chickens eat human excrement?" When poultry farms were not set up people used to breed chicken for eggs and meat as a part of their household. These chicken lavishly enjoyed human excrement. For centuries Muslims like others enjoyed chicken dishes. Your argument do not stand on this point.

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Eat meat or not / how to kill the animal to eat etc etc....this topic being discussed for ages & still is going on .....

It's upto an individual whether to eat meat or not. There were times when human use to kill animals for their skin to cover their body, use to eat flesh to satisfy their hunger coz options were limited may be .... for instance in Arab there's handly any jungle or i guess there isn't any so eating meat was a necessity thr .... but thing is what was the need for Indian (in India) to eat meat when other veg options were in plenty ... I personally feel bad eating a dead body (flesh) doesn't matter who well it's cooked. But again perception of others may differ .... some go by necessity some go for the pleasures of taste of their tongue etc.. etc..Migrations took place with time & taste, culture, living styles etc got mixed ...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Plenty of Rajput soldiers in Mughal army...doesnt prove anything contrary...THOSE Rajputs were Slaves of the Mughals..fighting against their own brothers to perpetuate Mughal rule..of course the Mughals would give them swords...how else can they kill other Rajputs ??
I have a Sikh friend who is serving in the US Forces in Iraq..he was given a US F 16 Jet fighter..does this mean every SIKH can have a F 16 ?? Another friend serving in nato forces in Afghanistan carries a stinger missile on duty...but i havent seen any other SIKHS carrying Stinger Missiles... WEAPONS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO the NON MUSLIM POPULATION in INDIA..That is one reason WHY Guru Gobind Singh JI made it MANDATORY for a SIKH to be ARMED to the TEETH and RIDE a HORSE. The Kirpan is a legacy of that Mandate.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Eat meat or not / how to kill the animal to eat etc etc....this topic being discussed for ages & still is going on .....

It's upto an individual whether to eat meat or not. There were times when human use to kill animals for their skin to cover their body, use to eat flesh to satisfy their hunger coz options were limited may be .... for instance in Arab there's handly any jungle or i guess there isn't any so eating meat was a necessity thr .... but thing is what was the need for Indian (in India) to eat meat when other veg options were in plenty ... I personally feel bad eating a dead body (flesh) doesn't matter who well it's cooked. But again perception of others may differ .... some go by necessity some go for the pleasures of taste of their tongue etc.. etc..Migrations took place with time & taste, culture, living styles etc got mixed ...

Imho..this "TASTE" argument is over stressed....
TASTE DIFFERS form one to the next...

I SWEAR Amritsaree DAAL (maah black beans) has NO Comparison...I could eat a BUCKET DAILY and never feel bored...Mata KHEEVI JIS Heavenly KHEER is even given honour of a mention in Gurbani...Kabir Ji gives full marks to KHICHRREE....Sheikh farid ji says even Suki roti is Best..zo lets stop this Taste thingy...holds NO WATER at all...
Ask an alcoholic..Whisky is Fantastic..I would VOMIT at a spoonful ( tried it once just for kicks)..was vomiting the entire night..HATE the smell and taste...yet BILLIONS drink this...

pervez

SPNer
Aug 11, 2012
Imho..this "TASTE" argument is over stressed....
TASTE DIFFERS form one to the next...

I SWEAR Amritsaree DAAL (maah black beans) has NO Comparison...I could eat a BUCKET DAILY and never feel bored...Mata KHEEVI JIS Heavenly KHEER is even given honour of a mention in Gurbani...Kabir Ji gives full marks to KHICHRREE....Sheikh farid ji says even Suki roti is Best..zo lets stop this Taste thingy...holds NO WATER at all...
Ask an alcoholic..Whisky is Fantastic..I would VOMIT at a spoonful ( tried it once just for kicks)..was vomiting the entire night..HATE the smell and taste...yet BILLIONS drink this...

I agree with Kabir Ji on Khichree!! Maa black beans are just fantastic. I agree with you on alcohol though I have only smelt it. Sukhi roti may be good for the soul I better develop a taste for it.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]O ye who believe! Eat of the good things wherewith [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]We have provided you, and render thanks to Allah[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]if it is (indeed) He Whom ye worship. (2:172)[/SIZE][/FONT]

ayah3.gif

We slaughter according to the dictates of Shariah and again we take seafood without slaughtering it with the permission of Shariah. Allah has created all beings and He knows what is best for us. However Islam being ‘Deen-e-Fitrat’ (the religion of nature), we can and we must find out the logic behind such orders that are objected to by others so that we may prove to them the truthfulness of Islamic way.

In Islamic Shariah, while meat (of permitted animals) is permitted the consumption of blood is prohibited. Your friends who argue with you may themselves not be prepared to consume blood even after being cooked. The Islamic way of slaughter assures that blood gushes out of the animal’s body, while it is retained inside the body of the animal if it is killed abruptly. The consumption of meat of such animals in whose bodies the blood is retained is unhygienic. Consumption of blood is harmful for human beings while meat devoid of blood is wholesome.

As for charge of cruelty to animals in slaughtering them the Islamic way, it has now been proved scientifically that Halal slaughter is the humane method while western method of killing by stunning inflicts acute pain to the animals. Professor Schultz and Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany disclosed this after the following experiment. They implanted several electrodes surgically at various points of the skull, just touching the brain of several animals under test. Then some animals were slaughtered by a swift deep incision as desired by Islamic Shariah, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides as also the trachea and oesophagus while others were stunned using a captive bolt pistol as is done in western countries. EEG and ECG were recorded on all the animals under experiment. The experiment amazingly revealed that the animal brain did not feel pain as EEG recorded zero even when the animal’s body was convulsing vigorously, letting out the blood in the Halal method of slaughter. On the other hand EEG showed intense pain immediately after stunning in the western captive bolt stunning method, even though the animals were unconscious.
Those animals, whose respiratory system is such that they breathe inside and cannot survive outside the water, are Halal. The flow of blood in the bodies of such animals is so minimal that it does not flow out no matter how their bodies are cut. Hence there is no need of slaughtering them to draw the blood out of their bodies.

I have not shown appreciation of the write up. I don't know how my name is recorded there.
Now i want to ask the writer of these passages "Has any research been carried out to prove that after an animal is slaughtered by Halal Method, all the blood is drained out?" It is absurd and preposterous.
Cutting an animal by running the knife in slow motion (Halal method) on the neck of the animal gives it more pain than the Jhatka Method. Saying prayers at a Butchery carries no sense.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
The "unhygenic" argument placed by muslims is ridiculous. The claim that other methods of killing the animal are unhygenic and Halal cleans out the blood was true......in 800 A.D.
We're living in 2005, You can kill your animal using the Shariah Law method, but please, don't tell me the food that we're getting from a store is unhygenic. Yes, occassionally you get bad food, but the percentage is so low its ridiculous to claim Westernized food is unhygenic. Back in the day, sure, but now? Through all the tests and machines meat is processed thru, it is VERY hygenic.

Even pork that has been processed through machines and tested by the Government has been proven to be very Hygenic, and more-so hygenic that what certian Muslims in 3rd world countries eat as meat.

Now, your other arguement about Halal meat being humane as it does not torture the animal, is relative. The arguement over what is humane and mannerful is very relative to the individual thats looking upon the situation. Some countries chop off hands for a crime, others put the death penalty, some have NO penalty. The original thought of chopping off hands for a crime committed, was viewed "inhumane" by some, but the practitioners viewed the complete killing of the body via a lethal injection as "inhumane".

In the end the animal is dead, tortured or not, the conclusion is the same. Your method of killing could be viewed by someone else as torture.

And there's nothing wrong with eating Halal meat in Sikhism, it's a foolish taboo.

You say it is a foolish taboo. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib had Ordained that his Sikh will not eat or serve Kutha Maas but Jhatka only. Now it is Taboo under "Sikh Maryada"
Nobody can stop you if you take Halal Meat but a Sikh will never eat or serve Halal Meat to others. The ethics are only for the principled people.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Eating meat is NOT allowed in Sikhism. Fullstop!

You are very WRONG to say "Meat is not allowed in Sikhism"
Guru Nanak Dev Ji cooked meat at Kurukshetra on the day of Sun Eclipse.
What do you think Guru Gobind Singh Ji do on a hunting trip to the jungles? "Shoot the Leaves?"
Do you know that the vegetable, the Rice and Wheat you consume has/had life? Dare you stop eating Veg. to avoid torture to the plants?
One who says Meat is taboo in Sikhism is not a Sikh. No matter if you do not like then don't eat, but for God's sake don't issue Dictats.

P0TTER

SPNer
Mar 25, 2011
invite saad sanghat about the misconception about halal meat. Can anyone shed light [on] how and who proved [that] halal meat is scientifically right and whether really [this has been] proven scientifically? Thus Jhatka is unhealthy meant?

Regards Sahni Mohinder
Halal Authorities say there is no evidence that cutting an animals throat while fully conscious, then hanging it to bleed slowly to death is cruel - but clearly there is!
The same Scientists from many European countries concluded at the end of their 4 Year study across many European Countries that halal Ritual Slaughter is unnecessarily cruel.
Their findings are fully explained in this paper...
Veterinary Concerns - Scientific Paper based on 4 Year EU funded study of Ritual Slaughter
http://issuu.com/florencebergeaud-blackler/docs/veterinary-concerns
We must demand proper animal welfare at the time of slaughter. We cannot allow this shyster like Pascal’s wager to be played on us, where producers figure that if all meat is Halal then they do not lose any of their market share. These halal compliant companies have to know that the cost of Islamification of the West... as well as abandoning all civilized rules for agriculture & animal husbandry, is the loss of the business from civilized society...
That is just one of the reasons why we BOYCOTT HALAL!

DIALREL STUDY - Scientists from many European countries for the EU and they came to the conclusion, in 2010, that halal Ritual Slaughter is unnecessarily cruel. They made this video during their research and it clearly Condemns Halal Ritual Slaughter without stunning. This outrage is the recommended "best practice" slaughter procedure according to many leading Halal Authorities and this unnecessary cruelty is going on DAILY in many countries of the world - in the name of islam.
WARNING - VICIOUS CRUELTY SHOWN - WATCH & BOYCOTT HALAL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAqLDBc9Eo&feature=player_embedded/
Halal Authorities say there is no evidence that cutting an animals throat while fully conscious, then hanging it to bleed slowly to death is cruel - but clearly there is!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I don't know how anyone can consider death by hypovolemic shock to be in any way shape or form humane? And that's after inflicting a wound without any anesthesia. Death by Halal is inhumane to the animal and causes significant suffering that sometimes takes minutes... while the animal is fully conscious.

The animal goes through the same stages of hypovolemic shock as a human would... Initially they would feel pain from the wound, fear knowing they are bleeding. Then the stages of hypovolemia would start. If you have ever seen someone in shock, it's not a relaxed comfortable state at all. Tachycardia (fast heart rate) tries to compensate at first for the volume depletion, the animal feels their heart pounding and racing, they begin to sweat and become pale (anyone who has felt that pale cold clammy state of shock knows it's not fun), fast rate of breathing, dizziness, nausea, headache, all while still fully conscious of what is happening and still feeling the pain from the wound... then on to progressive diminishing states of mental status... all the while the animal is probably trying to figure out why the human holding them did this to them...

Honestly I don't know how most Muslims are not vegetarian...

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Originally Posted by muslim
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]O ye who believe! Eat of the good things wherewith [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]We have provided you, and render thanks to Allah[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]if it is (indeed) He Whom ye worship. (2:172)[/SIZE][/FONT]

ayah3.gif

We slaughter according to the dictates of Shariah and again we take seafood without slaughtering it with the permission of Shariah. Allah has created all beings and He knows what is best for us. However Islam being ‘Deen-e-Fitrat’ (the religion of nature), we can and we must find out the logic behind such orders that are objected to by others so that we may prove to them the truthfulness of Islamic way.

May I ask the writer of the above writeup where he claims that Islam is a Religion of Nature as to how it is nature compliance when they tamper with 'Nature' while performing "SUNNAT"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
You are very WRONG to say "Meat is not allowed in Sikhism"
Guru Nanak Dev Ji cooked meat at Kurukshetra on the day of Sun Eclipse.
What do you think Guru Gobind Singh Ji do on a hunting trip to the jungles? "Shoot the Leaves?"
Do you know that the vegetable, the Rice and Wheat you consume has/had life? Dare you stop eating Veg. to avoid torture to the plants?
One who says Meat is taboo in Sikhism is not a Sikh. No matter if you do not like then don't eat, but for God's sake don't issue Dictats.

Your a little harsh on calling out Sikhs who don't think we aren't allowed to eat meat non-Sikhs. My Dad who is amritdhari since he was very young now decided to not eat meat. His reason is because he's on a spiritual path and feels its right at his age now. He said himself eating meat is no problem but he choices not too. It's all up to an individual choice, but you shouldn't bash them on their views if they are against eating meat let them be even though you think it is a foolish choice. Certainly there is nothing wrong with not eating meat...

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
No, he's saying Sikhs who say its taboo to eat meat aren't Sikhs , but it's personal choice if you do or not ...( not sure who can and can't decide who exactly is a Sikh though).

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Your a little harsh on calling out Sikhs who don't think we aren't allowed to eat meat non-Sikhs. My Dad who is amritdhari since he was very young now decided to not eat meat. His reason is because he's on a spiritual path and feels its right at his age now. He said himself eating meat is no problem but he choices not too. It's all up to an individual choice, but you shouldn't bash them on their views if they are against eating meat let them be even though you think it is a foolish choice. Certainly there is nothing wrong with not eating meat...

I have only said against those propagating or advising others that meat eating is against Sikh Maryada. It is one's choice to eat or not to eat meat or anything for that matter, but it will be wrong to say that Sikh Ethics do not permit eating of meat. I never said who do not eat meat are No Sikhs. But I admit saying those who say meat is Not Allowed in Sikhism and, therefore, do not eat meat are No Sikhs.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
As far as I understand it, strictly speaking, meat is allowed in Sikhi... as long as it is not killed the Muslim way (extrapolated to also mean kosher since the method is similar). Since Sikhi believes that the essence of the creator resides in everything in creation, the animals and even plants are no less a part of that creation than we are. So in that sense, There really is no distinction between plant and animal when it comes to being a part of Waheguru's creation. The reasoning behind not allowing meat killed the Muslim way comes from the fact that animals have nervous systems and a higher consciousness than a plant would, and killing that way causes unnecessary suffering. Also, it makes no sense to sacrifice something in the name of God, when it's God's very own creation you are sacrificing! Hence, Sikhs are against praying over an animal in this way as they are killed. So as per the SGPC mainstream rehet, meat is allowed in this context.

Having said the above, there are sects (eg. AKJ) that have more restrictive rehets that they follow. Among other things like no jewelry at all (when the mainstream rehet says only that ear / nose piercings are not allowed), no makeup at all (when the mainstream version says only that mehendi is bad), they also extrapolate the meat issue to mean vegetarianism. Then of course, there are varying degrees of that as well... some allow eggs and some don't for example. You would know if you took Amrit under one of these sects as Panj would tell you what is allowed and not. You would likely know ahead of time anyway, and it's your choice to take Amrit with them or not anyway.

Of note though, most Amritdharis I know, even under the main rehet, are vegetarian by choice. There are many spiritual paths that advocate spiritual progress being hindered by eating meat, since it's more primal basic and animal in nature... there are MANY people on many different spiritual paths (not just Sikhi) who say that being vegetarian definitely helps with their spiritual progress, meditation etc. by lifting them above the basic animal instincts.

And getting back to the OP...even Muhammad heeded the warning "Do not allow your stomachs to become graveyards!" and so many Sufis are also vegetarian.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Just out of curiosity, I thought the command for Sikhs to refrain from meat slaughtered in the Muslim way was a rebellion against Muslim rule over Punjab.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
These meat vs non-meat discussions never have a conclusive end. That is why some forums have banned this discussion.

Gurbani challenges both viewpoints to show meat eaters and vegetarians that neither of them know what true spirituality is. Thus, they are living in hypocrisy when they use religion to justify their dietary choices.

In regards to draining the meat of blood to make it healthier, that is based on medicine from the Middle Ages.

Mad cow disease is present in all tissues of the cow. Same with scrapie found in sheep. Also, everyone knows the dangers of ingesting undercooked meat.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Just out of curiosity, I thought the command for Sikhs to refrain from meat slaughtered in the Muslim way was a rebellion against Muslim rule over Punjab.

There could be a pain factor due to which "jhatka" is only option for preparing meat for kitchen of the Sikhs, but since childhood I have come across Sikhs discussing the reason behind this was to totally separate the social life of Sikhs from the Muslims.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM