• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Fast Unto Death Or Suicide A Right Thing?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Is Fast Unto Death or Suicide a Right Thing?

Politics is the plague. It spreads violence instead of germs if someone goes on fast unto death on some political issue. Even though Mr. Rao of TRS has broken his fast on the assurance of the Govt of India that Telangana State would be created yet violence has not subsided. There is now violence in Rayalseema and Coastal Andhra because people in these two regions of Andhra Pradesh want Akhand Andhra Pradesh and do not want the creation of Telangana. So, violence is the result of the regional politics and even national politics when regional, communal or sectarian questions come to the fore. The Prime Minister to avoid violence has assured the MPs from Rayalseema and Coastal Andhra that no hasty decision would be taken on the formation of separate state of Telangana. Regarding the right to end one's life, some countries have given this right to their citizens provided they do not end their life in public. However, in India, we are not yet prepared to grant this right to our citizens because the religions of the people do not permit suicide and consider it a crime which can never be forgiven. This right to end one's life is a very debatable issue. I know that Hinduism and Sikhism, the religions with which I am associated do not permit suicide. Islam, of course, permits suicide bombers in the cause of the religion as stated by it.

Satbir Singh Bedi
Is fast unto death or suicide a right thing? - Cplash, The Citizen Journalism Site

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
As far as I know Hinduism does not ban suicide. Jainism allows suicide once all the things a person wishes to achieve are achieved, its called Santhara.

Personally, youth suicide is an issue for me but euthenesia is not. My mum is a nurse I once discussed this issue with her. She agreed with me and said that in Australia at least only the name "euthenesia" will never be used but slow suicide goes on in hospitals everyday. Morphine is allowed by doctors for patients with no hope of living. As you may know Morphine in large quantities can be deadly.

Apart from a religious standpoint I actually don't see a problem with Euthenesia. A person should have the right over his own life especially if they've got one foot in the grave anyway.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM