• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Enlightenment Only For Females?

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
In bani the Soul (Surat) is given the female gender. Examples of the Soul as a women preparing to go to her In-Laws house (Akal Purkh) representing how this whole world is just tempory until we reach the house of our husband (Paakae Di Ghar). Or as a Women being abused/raped by the 5 vices of the world and so on. Jeev-Istri is the title most often used when explaining the souls to us by Guru Ji.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Satsriakal to all and Unstoppable Singh Ji!

You wrote "In bani the Soul (Surat) is given the female gender."

Please provide a reference from Gurbani that Soul and Surat are the same and that Soul is the female gender.

I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Balbir, the soul is not literally female, and God is not literally male. It is simply a poetic analogy. The soul has no gender, race, colour, nationality, sexual desire, cultural influences etc. etc.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Satsriakal to all and Caramel Chocolate Ji!

You wrote two sentences.

Your first sentence begins with "soul is . . ." and the last sentence starts with "Soul has . . ."

Are these two characteristics of the soul?

Please enrich my knowledge.

Balbir Singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Balbir Singh Ji,

I have responded to your similar post in www.sikhnet.com There I have gone out of Gurbani to tell that the creator has used female's body as template to create the male. Here I remain within the teachings of Gurbani to share what I have understood.

To convey other worldly concepts to we mortals, Guru Sahib have to use the analogies with which we are familiar. The same concept of love have to be ingrained in us under different context so that the individuals with different background can acquire the essense of it and incorporate it in their being. Guru Sahib has used the analogies that are easily understood by ladies, as ladies too were and are equal part of Guru Sahib's audience.

As our society is men dominated, women depend on men for many tasks in their lives. The man on whom the woman has confidence that she can depend becomes the one on which she has faith. This faith and dependence over a period of time gets converted into love. We all, men and women have faith in 'The Sat' we depend on 'The Sat', what Guru Sahib is conveying through this analogy is for we people ( men and women) to move to the next stage, that of love. I admit, that women will understand this analogy more readily than men, but men too can understand it.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM