• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Interstellar Space

I always love to look at the pictures taken by these two spacecraft, especially of saturn, neptune and triton. The lenses and filters used were extremely advanced for the late 1970's.

Space exploration is something to be proud of and actually call a human acheivement. A true human acheivement, unlike microwave dinners and the addition of the plastic tip on the end of our shoelaces.

I love how it unifies races, cultures, nationalities and religions. I guess when we look at pictures streaming in from extreme distances we see ourselves as one small spec on an emmense universe. We all become more humble and minute differences that are so exagerated in our lives seem almost irrelevant (to bad it takes hard labour, millions of dollars, thousands of pounds of propellant and metal for us to come to this realization...nonetheless its still worth it).

NASA has been twidling its thumbs for too long

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਸੁਰਗ ਪਇਆਲ ਮਿਰਤ ਭੂਅ ਮੰਡਲ ਸਰਬ ਸਮਾਨੋ ਏਕੈ ਓਹੀ ॥
सुरग पइआल मिरत भूअ मंडल सरब समानो एकै ओही ॥

Surag pa­i­āl miraṯ bẖū­a mandal sarab samāno ėkai ohī.
In the heavenly paradise, in the nether regions of the underworld, on the planet earth and throughout the galaxies, the One Lord is pervading everywhere.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਤਟ ਤੀਰਥ ਭਵੇ ਸਭ ਧਰਨਾ ॥
तट तीरथ भवे सभ धरना ॥
Ŧat ṯirath bẖavė sabẖ ḏẖarnā.
They wander over the entire planet, on pilgrimages to the banks of sacred rivers.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਖੰਡ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ਪਾਤਾਲ ਅਰੰਭੇ ਗੁਪਤਹੁ ਪਰਗਟੀ ਆਇਦਾ ॥੧੫॥
खंड ब्रहमंड पाताल अर्मभे गुपतहु परगटी आइदा ॥१५॥
Kẖand barahmand pāṯāl arambẖė gupṯahu pargatī ā*iḏā. ||15||
He formed the planets, solar systems and nether regions, and brought what was hidden to manifestation. ||15||
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਤਾ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਖਿ ਸੋਉ ਹੋਇ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ॥
ता तूं सुखि सोउ होइ अचिंता ॥
Ŧā ṯūʼn sukẖ so*o ho*ė acẖinṯā.
So sleep in peace, and don't worry.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

[/SIZE]ਸੋਚ ਅੰਦੇਸਾ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਕਹਾ ਕਰੀਐ ਜਾ ਮਹਿ ਏਕ ਘਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
सोच अंदेसा ता का कहा करीऐ जा महि एक घरी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Socẖ anḏėsā ṯā kā kahā karī*ai jā meh ėk gẖarī. ||1|| rahā*o.
Why should I feel worry or anxiety, when I am here for only a short time. ||1||Pause||

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
quot

Are we alone in this universe?
sinister ji, who told you to think that way, we are not alone. Think how it can be possible that out of so many planets, galaxies, only one planet has life. There are more I feel sure and keeping the curiosity high.
I think that would be the most scariest situation ever; if it were true
e
No need to feel scary as I told you there could be others out there, it is high possibility, scientists are working on it. Do they have enough stuff to find out? Highly unlikely. Soon? Not possible with so much limited power.
Certainty should be stretched to infinity as said by you at another post, may be I am just guessing.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Alice !!! Wake Up !!! It's only a dream!!!

ਸੁਪਨੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਦੇਖਨੀ ਬਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਪਰਜਾਲੇ ॥੩॥
सुपनै सुखु न देखनी बहु चिंता परजाले ॥३॥
Supnai sukẖ na ḏėkẖnī baho cẖinṯā parjālė. ||3||
Even in their dreams, they find no peace; they are consumed by the fires of intense anxiety. ||3||
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap

I have thought this verse from Gurbani is a very powerful statement ever since I first read it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention once again.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

namjapji and aad0002 ji
Let me post other Guru Vaak that state who go through that kind of agony
here they are
ਸਤਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਜੋ ਮੁਹ ਫੇਰਹਿ ਮਥੇ ਤਿਨ ਕਾਲੇ
सतगुर ते जो मुह फेरहि मथे तिन काले ॥
Saṯgur ṯė jo muh fėreh mathė ṯin kālė.
Those who turn their faces away( disobey Guru) from the True Guru shall have their faces blackened.( Would lose respect)

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਦੁਖ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੋਹੇ ਜਮ ਜਾਲੇ
अनदिनु दुख कमावदे नित जोहे जम जाले ॥
An*ḏin ḏukẖ kamāvḏė niṯ johė jam jālė.
Night and day, they suffer in pain; they see the noose of Death always hovering above them.
ਸੁਪਨੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੇਖਨੀ ਬਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਪਰਜਾਲੇ ॥੩॥
सुपनै सुखु न देखनी बहु चिंता परजाले ॥३॥
Supnai sukẖ na ḏėkẖnī baho cẖinṯā parjālė. ||3||
Even in their dreams, they find no peace; they are consumed by the fires of intense anxiety. ||3||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Why Pluto is No Longer a Planet

Written by Fraser Cain

This has got to be be one of the most heartbreaking questions I get asked, "Why Isn't Pluto a Planet". And I get it a lot. I was expecting that a few years after the International Astronomical Union's controversial decision, the debate would have settled down and people would finally accept it. But no, it's still a sore point for many people - Pluto is not a planet (let that sink in). In this article, I'll explain the events that led up to the decision, the current state of planetary definition, and any hope Pluto has for the future. Let's find out why Pluto is no longer considered a planet.

Pluto was first discovered in 1930 by Clyde W. Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff Arizona. Astronomers had long predicted that there would be a ninth planet in the Solar System, which they called Planet X. Only 22 at the time, Tombaugh was given the laborious task of comparing photographic plates. These were two images of a region of the sky, taken two weeks apart. Any moving object, like an asteroid, comet or planet, would appear to jump from one photograph to the next.
After a year of observations, Tombaugh finally discovered an object in the right orbit, and declared that he had discovered Planet X. Because they had discovered it, the Lowell team were allowed to name it. They settled on Pluto, a name suggested by an 11-year old school girl in Oxford, England (no, it wasn't named after the Disney character, but the Roman god of the underworld).
The Solar System now had 9 planets.
Astronomers weren't sure about Pluto's mass until the discovery of its largest Moon, Charon, in 1978. And by knowing its mass (0.0021 Earths), they could more accurately gauge its size. The most accurate measurement currently gives the size of Pluto at 2,400 km (1,500 miles) across. Although this is small, Mercury is only 4,880 km (3,032 miles) across. Pluto is tiny, but it was considered larger than anything else past the orbit of Neptune.
Over the last few decades, powerful new ground and space-based observatories have completely changed previous understanding of the outer Solar System. Instead of being the only planet in its region, like the rest of the Solar System, Pluto and its moons are now known to be just a large example of a collection of objects called the Kuiper Belt. This region extends from the orbit of Neptune out to 55 astronomical units (55 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun).
Astronomers estimate that there are at least 70,000 icy objects, with the same composition as Pluto, that measure 100 km across or more in the Kuiper Belt. And according to the new rules, Pluto is not a planet. It's just another Kuiper Belt object.

http://www.universetoday.com/author/admin/

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for......... ....

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for......... ....

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

This is a HOAX!!!! :inca:(the hoax comes out every summer since i can remember...and ive been lulled a few times before::cool::)

Mars sighting on August 27? Blah!

cheers

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Nasa to launch probe to map solar system’s edge

LOS ANGELES, Oct 18 — A small Nasa spacecraft embarks on a two-year mission this weekend to give scientists their first view of the happenings at the edge of the solar system. The Ibex probe, short for Interstellar Boundary Explorer, will study a chaotic region in space where the solar wind from the sun clashes with cold gases from interstellar space.
The solar wind, a stream of charged particles spewing from the sun at 1 million miles per hour, carves out a protective bubble around the solar system. This bubble known as the heliosphere shields against most dangerous cosmic radiation that would otherwise interfere with human spaceflight.
Scientists recently discovered that the solar wind pressure is at its weakest level in 50 years, although the exact reason remains a mystery. Ibex could help confirm whether the heliosphere is shrinking.
Observations from Ibex should help researchers in "unlocking the secrets of this important interaction between the sun and the galaxy," said David McComas of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. He is chief scientist for the US$165 million mission.
Ibex, the size of a bus tyre, will be launched aboard a Pegasus rocket that will be dropped from an aircraft over a Pacific atoll tomorrow.
The rocket will lift Ibex 130 miles above Earth and put it into orbit. The spacecraft will then fire its solid rocket motor to loft itself even higher, eventually to 200,000 miles above Earth.
Ibex will build on the discoveries of the long-running twin Voyager spacecraft launched in 1977 to explore the outer planets. The deep-space, man-made probes have since sailed past the outer planets and are headed out of the solar system.
Unlike the Voyager craft, Ibex will not barrel through space, but instead will do its job from high-Earth orbit. The probe carries two sensors that will collect information about the solar wind's mass and energy from all directions. — AP

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM