• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Internet Addiction

On average how much time do you spend recieving electronic information? (TV+Internet)

• 0-2 hours

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 4-5 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-6 hours

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 6 or more hours

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Daer Antonia ji

Tha was really Special Christmas for you ! I would say you are very lucky.

Now About the topic .

The addiction for internet started when I was working in Ireland and was all alone ,infact I was the only Sikh in the town

But it still continues to be addiction and sinisters posts is helping me staying off the internet for good but still I manage to spend atleast 2-3 hours online so nothin to worry

drkhalsa ji

Thank you. My husband and I had a very warm and loving Christmas with my mother, sister, brothers, their wives, neices and nephew.

But better was what happened at the office Christmas party on December 18. Our dean, who is a Franciscan priest in the Roman church, gave a little speech. He wished us Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, Happy Diwale, Happy Kwansa. The he turned to me and said, What is it that you celebrate and that I cannot pronounce?

Very slowly I said -- "Gurpurab of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Rai Maharaj, the 10th Guru." The next day he gave me a little box, all wrapped up, a present. And the gift card said "Happy Gurpurab of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Rai Maharaj." He remembered it, and he spelled all correctly. And everyone there at that moment knew that I was practicing a completely different faith. If they wanted to know what was going on, they could ask him, or ask me, or look it up. So everyone at work found out easily, naturally. No big announcement or explanation needed. No big secret either.

Sorry Sinister ji for going off topic.

Hey HEY,

That boss is a keeper! (better than mine... i only got cookies) maybe hes trying to increase productivity? (lol...just kidding).

regards
sinister

Daer Antonia ji

Tha was really Special Christmas for you ! I would say you are very lucky.

Now About the topic .

The addiction for internet started when I was working in Ireland and was all alone ,infact I was the only Sikh in the town

But it still continues to be addiction and sinisters posts is helping me staying off the internet for good but still I manage to spend atleast 2-3 hours online so nothin to worry

yes i could see how isolation would do that to someone.
you are right, a little bit of internet does no one harm...its actually a good, well rounded practice. (I just find it difficult sometimes to keep it limited...once we get started)

cheers jatinder
have a good new year!

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Good day ‘citizens’ of SPN,

There is something about a conversation that is much more harmonious than an Internet conversation. We hardly participate in descriptive writing when we are trying to write a post quickly. Body language, touch and tone/frequency of the message are all lost over an electronic medium. This leads to greater misunderstanding of personal viewpoints and arguments. It also leads to something I call “impersonalization”. It leads to a state of mind where the people having the conversation/argument have no personal reference or connection to the person they are speaking too. Thus it can be alienating as well.

However there are some technologies that have the potential to revolutionize and correct this fallibility. However, they will not be widespread any time soon.
ASIDE: some newer technologies might help us in the near time future. Telepresence is a revolutionary new technology straight from science fiction novels. HERE HAVE LOOK:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rcfNC_x0VvE

My point is; the Internet is just what our wandering minds are suited for. Shortened attention spans crave the google search button. Internet addiction is the sad outcome. More and more people are spending more and more time online. When we are online, conversing with people, we should be weary not only about what we say, but how we say it, and most importantly HOW OFTEN WE SAY IT.

Hi, my name is S|kH, and I am addicted to the internet.

"Now you just sit there and watch football on television, I used to go out and play it!"

And, of course, the internet is the death of the English language. "LOL"

Hi, my name is S|kH, and I am addicted to the internet.

"Now you just sit there and watch football on television, I used to go out and play it!"

And, of course, the internet is the death of the English language. "LOL"

S|kH!
:}{}{}:consider this your intervention hehe…I’m not acquainted with all the nine steps….but I know acceptance is the first…submitting to a higher power might be the second…lol...I guess the both of us are doomed to rot on fiber optics!

Go Patriots!!!!!
Watching football is a lot more fun at this stage, especially when those small innocent wagers get involved. :wink:

Screw anglish, thatz sum nxt skule intelligeant stuff dawg

This sinister… Keepin it sweet and stupid, so much so that I don’t get picked up by the short school bus, but its trailer.

cheers

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
S|kH!
:}{}{}:consider this your intervention hehe…I’m not acquainted with all the nine steps….but I know acceptance is the first…submitting to a higher power might be the second…lol...I guess the both of us are doomed to rot on fiber optics!

Go Patriots!!!!!
Watching football is a lot more fun at this stage, especially when those small innocent wagers get involved. :wink:

Screw anglish, thatz sum nxt skule intelligeant stuff dawg

This sinister… Keepin it sweet and stupid, so much so that I don’t get picked up by the short school bus, but its trailer.

cheers

LOL "this sinister ... keepin it sweet and stupid, so much so that I don't get picked up by the short school bus, but its trailer."

Hilarious. can't believe i havent read this thread till now.

and btw. Patriots LOST !!!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: