• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Indian Man Has 39 Wives, Nearly 100 Children

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Indian man has 39 wives, nearly 100 children

Reuters - February 22, 2011

The more, the merrier is certainly true for Ziona Chana, a 66-year-old man in India's remote northeast who has 39 wives, 94 children and 33 grandchildren -- and wouldn't mind having more.

They all live in a four storied building with 100 rooms in a mountainous village in Mizoram state, sharing borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh, media reports said.

Deleted the video because it is about a different man. Reposted above.

"I once married 10 women in one year," he was quoted as saying.

His wives share a dormitory near Ziona's private bedroom and locals said he likes to have seven or eight of them by his side at all times.

The sons and their wives, and all their children, live in different rooms in the same building, but share a common kitchen.

The wives take turns cooking, while his daughters clean the house and do washing. The men do outdoor jobs like farming and taking care of livestock.

The family, all 167 of them, consumes around 91 kg (200 pounds) of rice and more than 59 kg (130 pounds) of potatoes a day. They are supported by their own resources and occasional donations from followers.

"Even today, I am ready to expand my family and willing to go to any extent to marry," Ziona said.

"I have so many people to care (for) and look after, and I consider myself a lucky man."

Ziona met his oldest wife, who is three years older than he is, when he was 17.

He heads a local Christian religious sect, called the "Chana," which allows polygamy. Formed in June 1942, the sect believes it will soon be ruling the world with Christ and has a membership of around 400 families.

© Copyright (c) Reuters

source: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Indian+wives+nearly+children/4325743/story.html

Here is a related story forwarded by Mai Harinder Kaur

The world's biggest family: The man with 39 wives, 94 children and 33 grandchildren

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:39 PM on 19th February 2011

He is head of the world's biggest family - and says he is 'blessed' to have his 39 wives.

Ziona Chana also has 94 children, 14-daughters-in-law and 33 grandchildren.

They live in a 100-room, four storey house set amidst the hills of Baktwang village in the Indian state of Mizoram, where the wives sleep in giant communal dormitories.

You treat this place like a hotel: With 100 rooms the Ziona mansion is the biggest concrete structure in the hilly village of Baktawng

You treat this place like a hotel: With 100 rooms the Ziona mansion is the biggest concrete structure in the hilly village of Baktawng

Mr Chana told the Sun: 'Today I feel like God's special child. He's given me so many people to look after.

'I consider myself a lucky man to be the husband of 39 women and head of the world's largest family.'

The family is organised with almost military discipline, with the oldest wife Zathiangi organising her fellow partners to perform household chores such as cleaning, washing and preparing meals.

One evening meal can see them pluck 30 chickens, peel 132lb of potatoes and boil up to 220lb of rice.

Coincidentally, Mr Chana is also head of a sect that allows members to take as many wives as he wants.
Feeling peckish? The senior ladies of the Chana family show what it takes just to make a meal

He even married ten women in one year, when he was at his most prolific, and enjoys his own double bed while his wives have to make do with communal dormitories.

He keeps the youngest women near to his bedroom with the older members of the family sleeping further away - and there is a rotation system for who visits Mr Chana's bedroom.

Rinkmini, one of Mr Chana's wives who is 35 years old, said: 'We stay around him as he is the most important person in the house. He is the most handsome person in the village.

She says Mr Chana noticed her on a morning walk in the village 18 years ago and wrote her a letter asking for her hand in marriage.

Another of his wives, Huntharnghanki, said the entire family gets along well. The family system is reportedly based on 'mutual love and respect'

And Mr Chana, whose religious sect has 4,00 members, says he has not stopped looking for new wives.

'To expand my sect, I am willing to go even to the U.S. to marry,' he said.

One of his sons insisted that Mr Chana, whose grandfather also had many wives, marries the poor women from the village so he can look after them.

More full size photos of family life with Ziona Chana at this link,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-children-33-grandchildren.html#ixzz1EkZjjFlm

Attachments

• article-1358654-0D434692000005DC-733_964x557.jpg
    article-1358654-0D434692000005DC-733_964x557.jpg
    30 KB · Reads: 277
  • article-1358654-0D435B86000005DC-680_964x622.jpg
    article-1358654-0D435B86000005DC-680_964x622.jpg
    36 KB · Reads: 288
  • article-1358654-0D434280000005DC-607_964x553.jpg
    article-1358654-0D434280000005DC-607_964x553.jpg
    33 KB · Reads: 281

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The outstanding difference in the marriage arrangements of the two men, beyond nationality, number of children (Mr. Chana has more), number of wives (Mr. Chana has more), and religion, is that Mr. Chana, as the head of a sect in India, may have as many wives as he pleases. However, Mr. Qaddar (sounded like that) is a Muslim and may only have 4 wives, so the excess were divorced and live elsewhere.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM