• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Asks U.K. To Return 'cursed' Gem

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
India asks U.K. to return 'cursed' gem

Government joins UN campaign to help get back the Koh-i-noor Diamond

By Dean Nelson, Daily Telegraph - June 3, 2010

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> function resizeImage() { var imgBox = document.getElementById('imageBox'); var photo = document.getElementById('storyphoto'); if (imgBox != null & photo != null) { if(photo.width >= 460) { imgBox.className = 'imagesize460'; } else { if(photo.width >= 300) { imgBox.className = 'imagesize310'; } else { imgBox.className = 'imageboxpadding'; } imgBox.style.width = photo.width + 'px'; } } } function getStoryFontSize() { var storyfontsize = getCookie('storyfontsize'); // use cookied value, if present if (storyfontsize != null) { setClass('story_content',storyfontsize); } else // default it to para14 if no cookie { setClass('story_content','para14'); } } function getCookie( check_name ) { // split this cookie up into name/value pairs var a_all_cookies = document.cookie.split( ';' ); var a_temp_cookie = ''; var cookie_name = ''; var cookie_value = ''; var b_cookie_found = false; // set boolean t/f default f for ( i = 0; i < a_all_cookies.length; i++ ) { // split apart each name=value pair a_temp_cookie = a_all_cookies.split( '=' ); // and trim left/right whitespace while we're at it cookie_name = a_temp_cookie[0].replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, ''); // if the extracted name matches passed check_name if ( cookie_name == check_name ) { b_cookie_found = true; // we need to handle case where cookie has no value but exists (no = sign, that is): if ( a_temp_cookie.length > 1 ) { cookie_value = unescape( a_temp_cookie[1].replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, '') ); } // note that in cases where cookie is initialized but no value, null is returned return cookie_value; break; } a_temp_cookie = null; cookie_name = ''; } if ( !b_cookie_found ) { return null; } } </SCRIPT>The Indian government has joined an international campaign as part of its efforts to make Britain return the "cursed" Koh-i-noor Diamond.

The gem has been in British possession since East India Company forces defeated the Maharaja of Punjab in 1849 and forced him to hand it over to Queen Victoria as part of the Treaty of Lahore.

It was last worn in public by the late Queen Mother and last seen set inside the Maltese Cross atop her coffin. India claims the diamond was illegally acquired and wants it returned with other treasures.

After years of unsuccessful lobbying, it has joined an international campaign backed by the United Nations for the return of treasures to several countries, including Mexico, Greece, Turkey and Egypt.

A spokesman for the British High Commission in New Delhi said the government rejected India's claim and said that the diamond was "legitimately acquired." Its ownership was "non-negotiable". The gemstone has been worn only by female members of the Royal Family because it is said to carry a curse when owned by men.

Legend says: "He who owns this diamond will own the world but will also know all its misfortunes. Only God or Woman can wear it with impunity."
Wilkie Collins acknowledged its inspiration for his novel The Moonstone, the story of a young woman who inherits a diamond and the misery of its curse.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

source: http://www.{censored}/news/todays-paper/India+asks+return+cursed/3105865/story.html

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> // load up cookied story font size getStoryFontSize(); </SCRIPT>

<!-- col_640 ends --><!-- bodywrapper ends --><!-- contentbody ends --><!-- pagewrapper ends --><!-- page ends -->

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM