• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Asks Canada To Curb Sikh Separatists

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/25034/38/

India asks Canada to curb Sikh separatists

Punjab Newsline Network
Tuesday, 13 April 2010

By Manish Chand
WASHINGTON: Two months before the 25th anniversary of the bombing of Air-India flight Kanishka, India has asked Canada to monitor surging activities of Sikh separatists in that country when Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met his Canadian counterpart Stephen Harper.

In his 30-minute meeting with Harper on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit at Walter E. Washington Convention Centre Monday evening, Manmohan Singh conveyed his concerns over the surge in activities of Sikh separatists in Canada who are trying to revive militancy in Punjab.

Manmohan Singh conveyed India's continuing concerns over the activities of terrorist organisations in that country, Vishnu Prakash, the spokesperson of India's external affairs ministry, told journalists here after the talks.

Manmohan Singh hoped that the Canadian government will curb and monitor the activities of these organizations, said Prakash.

India has been watching warily a marked resurgence of pro-Khalistan elements in Canada recently and has alerted the Canadian authorities about it many a time.

Last month, India's Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Maken told the Indian parliament that Sikh militant groups, especially those based abroad, continue to persist with their efforts to revive militancy in Punjab. He added that the government is maintaining a close watch on such outfits.

Outfits like the Babbar Khalsa International, International Sikh Youth Federation, Khalistan Commando Force and Khalistan Zindabad Force continue to be banned under India's Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act, 2004.

Recently, the Indian high commission in Ottawa raised the issue of rising activities of Sikh separatist Khalistan movement in Canada with the Candian government. Canada is one of the few countries, according to the Indian government, where pro-Khalistani elements are becoming active once again.

India also is concerned at attempts by some elements to de-list the banned organizations such as the Babbar Khalsa in Canada.

Besides airing concerns over the activities of anti-India terrorist organisations, Manmohan Singh also discussed with Harper the forthcoming G20 summit Canada will host in June this year.

Harper sought Manmohan Singh's views on the G20 summit and the need for promoting balanced and sustainable growth, said Prakash.

The two leaders also expressed satisfaction at the finalization of a nuclear deal in November last year and hoped it will be signed when Manmohan Singh goes to Canada for the G20 summit.
IANS

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul_Jyot ji, Thanks for posting this article.

I only wish to ask a question as a way of achieving focus in any future discussion, and for no other reason.

Does pro-Khalistan always mean a likely terrorist?

This is one issue where I think it is really important to look at labels very carefully because of the anger and needless antagonisms that can be stirred up by indiscriminate use of words. Both governments and newspapers have a habit of doing that.

Jan 6, 2005
Respected Narayanjot Kaur Ji:

This is briefly my personal view only, others might strongly disagree with it!

The Government of India through their RAW agency ( equivalent to CIA in USA) has succeeded in labeling, portraying and isolating the Khalistanis as "terrorists" throughout the world. To fulfill this purpose they recruited their agents from among the so called Khalistanis to do the 'under-cover dirty tricks'!

Sikhs on the most part are naturally very emotional people. They often use their emotions rather than reasoning to justify their poorly planned and executed actions. The Khalistanis have also isolated the majority of main stream Sikhs from their cause and who have suffered greatly due to this. The main stream Sikhs have become pawns or 'meat' in the sandwich! The Khalistanis rather than 'educating' the Sikh masses about Khalistan, have been dictating to them on international basis. Do remember that the BADALS ( this now includes SAD, SGPC & Akal Takht) are anti-Khalistan, like the Government of India since this would otherwise endanger their leadership and add them to the dust-bin of Sikh history!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
And if I may add...an "Amrtidharee Banna wearing Sikh..especially if he is a YOUTH.." is just a wee bit behind this "HE is a terrorist !! " label as well. Since it wasnt easy to identify/tell a "Khalsiatani"....they went after the obvioulsy easy/IDENTIFIABLE targets..the "banna wearing Amrtidharees YOUTHS". The LOgic was..Finish off the amritdharees..you kill khalistan automatically....since MOST (not all ) Khalsiatanis were and are viisbly Amrtidharee. ( THIS VISIBILITY is as clear as DAY in the Huge Nagar Kirtans in the WEST especially canada that Colour the towns ORANGE very now and then..and the SEA of Dastaars and Dupattas..Huge FLOATS of the Shaheeds that attract even the Candain local politicians....terrifies !!!! Hnece the uncomfortableness and whispering.."curb THEM..DO SOMETHING !! I am afraid !!....) IN PUNJAB..the dastaar has almost disappeared..and the GHONA MONA crowds look REASSURING that the "demon of khalsitan" is dead - maybe that is also a wish-dream...becasue of the faulty premise that "khalistan" is ONLY in the Amrtidharees ??? Only time will tell.

2. The SECOND thing that I found very FUNNY..is that the Indian PM whispered this to the Canadian PM ...of ALL people..??? WHY ?? Becasue the Canadian Experience with QUEBEC !! The QUEBEC rebellion/separatist Movement is NOT treated as a "enemy" but as a facet of Canadian DEMOCRACY..whereby the Canadian Govt REGULARLY holds a PLEBICSITE...REFRENDUM...to ask the Canadian PUBLIC OPINION on this. INDIA is also the World's Largest DEMOCRACY...and what about a "refrendum...a plesbiscite ??..India held a Election in which the CM that got 5% Votes was made the Chief Minister..and 95% PUNJABIS who boycotted the election..watched helplessly as a MINORITY Govt was installed... INDIA should take a leaf out of the Canadian Experience with DEMOCRACY...and Hopefully the Divisive and subversive elements in india will be defeated with Democracy being SEEN to be practised..not just lip service. Every Country needs PEACE and Stability to PROSPER..and India is no exception..it stands at the Crossroads of Becoming THE Economic Powerhouse and New Leader of ASIA if not the World...and for that to happen it MUST pull ALL its citizens TOGETHER as ONE UNITED NATION.:stirpot:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This news seems a bit concocted the way it is written in PunjabiNewsline. I could not find any quotes from either Indian or Canadian officials regarding the meeting and what was discussed if it took place.

Who is this Manish Chand and what does IANS mean at the end of the news article?

This seems like a deliberate attempt by some to inflict fear in people about the Sikhs living in Canada and generally in the diaspora.

What does Kanishka's reference have to do with the news?
We know that no one has been found guilty about it and as the book Soft Target indicates, the bombing had Indian government's hands in it which is more likely.

I hope I am wrong but I think it shows the naivete and unprofessinalism on the part of Punjabinewsline to publish this kind of news without confirming its veracity and fact. checking it.

This does nothing but help in emphasising the negatives about Sikhs based on some falsehood especially what happened in Toronto and coincidentally on the Vaisakhi day.

This news report is puzzling, bewildering and baffling to say the least.

Tejwant Singh

Jan 6, 2005
Tejwant Singh Ji:

According to the GOOGLE search under the heading of "India asks Canada to curb Sikh separatists" there are over 15,000 entries about this news item on international basis! IANS stands for Indo-Asian News Service and Manish Chand their reporter filed this news from Washington, DC, USA.
Before I post such items, I personally verify them from several sources to determine the credibility of the information!

The true fact is that Sikhs have never recognized the true power of news media and how ALL governments use it to their internal and external advantage. Sikhs need to learn how to lobby it, through professional means!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Singh Ji:

According to the GOOGLE search under the heading of "India asks Canada to curb Sikh separatists" there are over 15,000 entries about this news item on international basis! IANS stands for Indo-Asian New Service and Manish Chand reported this news from Washington, DC, USA.
Before I post such items, I personally verify them from several sources to determine the credibility of the information!

The true fact is that Sikhs have never recognized the true power of news media and how ALL governments use it to their internal and external advantage. Sikhs need to learn how to lobby it, through professional means!

Soul Jyot ji,

Guru fateh.

First of all I want to commend you for your efforts. I would like to know that in any of those 15000 entries, if there is anything from the spokespersons of either the Canadian or the Indian side which can be quoted or verified regarding the news or any statements issued by them? There are no quotes in the news from anywhere,which can be the only professional way to fact check the veracity of the news.

Thanks, once again for your great seva, but in my mind, this story sounds a bit suspicious.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tejwant ji

I think that is the point not-to-be-dismissed. I have read at least 5 versions of this story today and last night, and there are no citations or statements, of fact, that can be linked to individuals or agencies who do not have an agenda of one sort or another. It is just ouuuuuuuuut theeeeeeeeere! Not only should one be suspicious, but one should take the media to task for its slavish dedication to this kind of story. It sells papers and is fodder for talk-radio shows that feed frenzies of all kinds on a regular basis. My own inclination is to keep an eye on this story and see if it has legs, and where those legs take us next. I have a copy of another story that gives Its take on GOI strategy with respect to Khalistani activist "incubators" all over the diaspora. But I don't trust that side either. There are too many agendas in circulation right now, and no way to get to the bottom of things.

Thanks Soul_Jyot ji for posting it as we have an affirmative obligation to demand that reliable information be shared and agendas be exposed.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Also, Gyani ji - You have made some very important statements. Each one is a focal point for a discussion on its own.

Jan 6, 2005
source: http://news.oneindia.in/2010/04/13/india-tells-canada-to-curb-sikh-separatists.html

India tells Canada to curb Sikh separatists

13-manmohan-harper.jpg

Tuesday, April 13, 2010,12:51

Washington, Apr 13: Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked Canadian counterpart Stephen Harper to monitor activities of Sikh separatists in that country.
During the meeting at Nuclear Security Summit, Singh also noted that this year marked the 25th anniversary of the bombing of Air-India flight Kanishka.

The two leaders also reviewed bilateral relations and discussed regional and global issues of mutual interest. Both Prime Ministers agreed to intensify economic and trade relations.

Briefing to reporters on the talks, external affairs ministry, Vishnu Prakash said, "Manmohan Singh conveyed India's continuing concerns over the activities of terrorist organisations in that country,"

"Manmohan Singh hoped that the Canadian government will curb and monitor the activities of these organizations," said Prakash.

Manmohan Singh also discussed with Harper the forthcoming G20 summit Canada will host in Jun 2010.

Harper sought Manmohan Singh's views on the G20 summit and the need for promoting balanced and sustainable growth, said Prakash.

OneIndia news

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: