• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Impressions Of Gurbani - Rehras

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
In this second entry in the Impressions of Gurbani series I have described the thoughts that Rehras generates in my mind. It's not a translation, and it contains additional information and conclusions I have reached from my own journey and reading of Gurbani.

Please read it in conjunction with the bani which starts on panna 8 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I will separate each thought-section according to each whole shabad within Rehras, not by verse.

Impressions of Gurbani ~ Rehras
by Ishna

After I finished this contemplation, I marked in my notebook 'sargun?' by the So Dar, and 'nirgun?' by So Purkh.

~So Dar~

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Its home is in all creation. All creation sings of It - it is all an expression of It and therefore all are subject to It. It is also beyond all since It will remain when the Creation ceases to be.
-1-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
It is perceived intuitively (felt) and can't be explained in words, even by the teacher of teachers. The perception only comes with Grace.
-2-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Live as taught by the Guru - be Its expression. How can one forget It when It is the reality all around? The reality is so awesome, It is always there, the One and Only. Those who don't recognise the reality are outcasts.
-3-

Goojaree, Mehla 4
Pray for the light of Naam (to perceive the reality). It is satisfying and brings out good qualities. It is a pity for those who can't perceive the reality, they are faced with fear of death. Those who are inclined to find It, find It. The Guru can help you find It.
-4-

Goojaree, Mehla 5
Don't worry about life, It is all supported by It. Learn from the Guru and reconnect with the light. You can do that intuitively.

~So Purkh~
Contemplate It, it's sad not to. It is in all hearts. It is limitless and Its qualities can't be described with words. Those who intuitively contemplate You are at peace, and live accordingly.
(verses 1, 2, 3)

Devotional awareness of It is a treasure. Worship is given in so many ways but the best way is through awareness - that brings you closer to It.
(verse 4)

It is there forever and moves as It likes, creating and destroying. It knows all.
(verse 5)
-1-

Aasaa, Mehla 4
All are part of It and It moves as It likes. Those who are lucky\blessed perceive It. The Guru can teach you how. It has created everything and made us capable of perceiving It. It is everyone, there is no individual. It inspires whoever It likes to understand\perceive It. Everything happens as it does because of It. The Guru can help you understand.
-2-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Those who don't perceive reality are drowning in emotional attachment and have forgotten their true qualities\virtues - purpose. Those who are aware can help you (re)learn.
-3-

Aasaa, Mehla 5
As a human you can perceive It - so become one of the people who do. Make every effort to overcome distractions of false awareness. All other actions are worthless. Pray for awareness.
-4-

End

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
In this second entry in the Impressions of Gurbani series I have described the thoughts that Rehras generates in my mind. It's not a translation, and it contains additional information and conclusions I have reached from my own journey and reading of Gurbani.

Please read it in conjunction with the bani which starts on panna 8 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I will separate each thought-section according to each whole shabad within Rehras, not by verse.

Impressions of Gurbani ~ Rehras
by Ishna

After I finished this contemplation, I marked in my notebook 'sargun?' by the So Dar, and 'nirgun?' by So Purkh.

~So Dar~

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Its home is in all creation. All creation sings of It - it is all an expression of It and therefore all are subject to It. It is also beyond all since It will remain when the Creation ceases to be.
-1-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
It is perceived intuitively (felt) and can't be explained in words, even by the teacher of teachers. The perception only comes with Grace.
-2-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Live as taught by the Guru - be Its expression. How can one forget It when It is the reality all around? The reality is so awesome, It is always there, the One and Only. Those who don't recognise the reality are outcasts.
-3-

Goojaree, Mehla 4
Pray for the light of Naam (to perceive the reality). It is satisfying and brings out good qualities. It is a pity for those who can't perceive the reality, they are faced with fear of death. Those who are inclined to find It, find It. The Guru can help you find It.
-4-

Goojaree, Mehla 5
Don't worry about life, It is all supported by It. Learn from the Guru and reconnect with the light. You can do that intuitively.

~So Purkh~
Contemplate It, it's sad not to. It is in all hearts. It is limitless and Its qualities can't be described with words. Those who intuitively contemplate You are at peace, and live accordingly.
(verses 1, 2, 3)

Devotional awareness of It is a treasure. Worship is given in so many ways but the best way is through awareness - that brings you closer to It.
(verse 4)

It is there forever and moves as It likes, creating and destroying. It knows all.
(verse 5)
-1-

Aasaa, Mehla 4
All are part of It and It moves as It likes. Those who are lucky\blessed perceive It. The Guru can teach you how. It has created everything and made us capable of perceiving It. It is everyone, there is no individual. It inspires whoever It likes to understand\perceive It. Everything happens as it does because of It. The Guru can help you understand.
-2-

Aasaa, Mehla 1
Those who don't perceive reality are drowning in emotional attachment and have forgotten their true qualities\virtues - purpose. Those who are aware can help you (re)learn.
-3-

Aasaa, Mehla 5
As a human you can perceive It - so become one of the people who do. Make every effort to overcome distractions of false awareness. All other actions are worthless. Pray for awareness.
-4-

End

Dear Ishna

I'm delighted with your efforts in furthering Gurbani and sharing it with likeminded people. By way of supplementing your text above, I'd like to give you a brief preview of the historical perspective that underpins Rehras, in particular, so dar.

Young Nanak's experience at Sultanpur Lodi is the bedrock of spiritual Sikhism and the Renaissance of the covenant made with God.

Early one morning after bathing in the Kali Bein, Nanak disappeared in the nearby forest and, according to historical finds, he was taken to the presence of Waheguru Ji, where he was offered the holy grail [amrit] and was charged with the mission of dissipating the same amongst humanity, the "nam". Nanak the Guru, documents this on page p1038 SGGSJ, thus:

thou art timeless....
thou art the blissful melody [shabd] , .....ਤੂ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਿਰਿ ਕਾਲਾ ॥ ......ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਜਗਜੀਵਨੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਅਨਹਦ ਸਬਦਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੪॥

The ambrosial nectar offered by God to Nanak [Puratan Janamsakhi], also refers to the inner enlightenment that transforms the mortal into an immortal being. Page 1046 puts it beautifully:

within the body is the true amritsar
through love n devotion doth the mind drink
................. ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਭਾਇ ਸੁਭਾਈ ਹੇ ॥੪॥ page 1045-1046 SGGSJ

Thus, the experience of Nanak at Sultanpur Lodhi was the turning point in his life. Thereafter, he was no longer a mere seeker of satnam, but a realised Guru, who had been endowed with a mission to disseminate to the multitude, Satnam Waheguru. Moreover, he relinquished all his possessions and observed a general silence. Mardana became his shadow and there was one cryptic sentence, which Nanak frequently uttered, " na koi Hindu na Musalman". Not much was said by Nanak thereafter before setting out to 12 years of Udassi's [pilgrimage, religious sojourns] around neighbouring countries and India.

Little evidence is to hand to suggest otherwise, but Nanak wrote much of his Gurbani whilst back at home in Kartarpur, later in life. Indeed, there are episodes when both Bala and Mardana were told to grab their musical instruments because "bani" was coming direct from a higher source and was being transmitted through Nanak, record of which was made instantly. For example, [p722 SGGSJ].

Having met Akal Purakh [AP], Nanak was at an "a - ha" moment for quite sometime, and it is at this point in time he set out to describe the "stargate" [so dar, literally meaning, that door], the door to His Lords Mansion. He gives a spiritual account that there is a door through which one can enter the inner regions. The spiritual journey will ultimately end in the highest realms [sachkhand] where union with Waheguru will be attained. It's been called "so dar" because the spiritual journey starts from this point onward. It is, as it were, the stargate through which one enters the paradise of eternal life. It is from this entrance that one can hear the music of the celestial sounds [anhad shabd] and get a panoramic view of all the heavenly glory of the Creator. The entire activity of the universe, the stars, planets and the moons seems like a symphony, an orchestra if you like, with a timeless conductor. Nanak puts it thus on page 6 of SGGSJ [Japji Sahib]:

so dar keha so ghar keha [where is thy door, where art thou sit].

Whilst Nanak gave a spiritual perspective of the door and the residence of AP, Guru Amardas, the third Nanak, gave it a physical dimension in the form of "Harmandir Sahib" [Golden Temple, Amritsar]. For where else could possibly sit Nanak's Waheguru if not at the pool of the ambrosial nectar [dukh bhanjni sarovaar], thought He ? Amardas had researched and concluded that this is the place where Rajni's leper husband was dissolved of his leprosy after having bathed in the holy waters. Hence the reason why Harminder Sahib came to be constructed the way it is today because of the spiritual architecture of Guru Nanak. Guru Ram Das initiated the physical consturction to what was Guru Amardas Ji's theoretical conceptualisation and, of course, final completion was left to Guru Arjan Dev Ji to give it the majestic and divine ambience within which it stands today.

Thank you Miss, for providing the opportunity to say a few words.

God bless !

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Dear Ishna

I'm delighted with your efforts in furthering Gurbani and sharing it with likeminded people. By way of supplementing your text above, I'd like to give you a brief preview of the historical perspective that underpins Rehras, in particular, so dar.

Young Nanak's experience at Sultanpur Lodi is the bedrock of spiritual Sikhism and the Renaissance of the covenant made with God.

Early one morning after bathing in the Kali Bein, Nanak disappeared in the nearby forest and, according to historical finds, he was taken to the presence of Waheguru Ji, where he was offered the holy grail [amrit] and was charged with the mission of dissipating the same amongst humanity, the "nam". Nanak the Guru, documents this on page p1038 SGGSJ, thus:

thou art timeless....
thou art the blissful melody [shabd] , .....ਤੂ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਿਰਿ ਕਾਲਾ ॥ ......ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਜਗਜੀਵਨੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਅਨਹਦ ਸਬਦਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੪॥

The ambrosial nectar offered by God to Nanak [Puratan Janamsakhi], also refers to the inner enlightenment that transforms the mortal into an immortal being. Page 1046 puts it beautifully:

................. ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਭਾਇ ਸੁਭਾਈ ਹੇ ॥੪॥ page 1045-1046 SGGSJ

Thus, the experience of Nanak at Sultanpur Lodhi was the turning point in his life. Thereafter, he was no longer a mere seeker of satnam, but a realised Guru, who had been endowed with a mission to disseminate to the multitude, Satnam Waheguru. Moreover, he relinquished all his possessions and observed a general silence. Mardana became his shadow and there was one cryptic sentence, which Nanak frequently uttered, " na koi Hindu na Musalman". Not much was said by Nanak thereafter before setting out to 12 years of Udassi's [pilgrimage, religious sojourns] around neighbouring countries and India.

Little evidence is to hand to suggest otherwise, but Nanak wrote much of his Gurbani whilst back at home in Kartarpur, later in life. Indeed, there are episodes when both Bala and Mardana were told to grab their musical instruments because "bani" was coming direct from a higher source and was being transmitted through Nanak, record of which was made instantly. For example, [p722 SGGSJ].

Having met Akal Purakh [AP], Nanak was at an "a - ha" moment for quite sometime, and it is at this point in time he set out to describe the "stargate" [so dar, literally meaning, that door], the door to His Lords Mansion. He gives a spiritual account that there is a door through which one can enter the inner regions. The spiritual journey will ultimately end in the highest realms [sachkhand] where union with Waheguru will be attained. It's been called "so dar" because the spiritual journey starts from this point onward. It is, as it were, the stargate through which one enters the paradise of eternal life. It is from this entrance that one can hear the music of the celestial sounds [anhad shabd] and get a panoramic view of all the heavenly glory of the Creator. The entire activity of the universe, the stars, planets and the moons seems like a symphony, an orchestra if you like, with a timeless conductor. Nanak puts it thus on page 6 of SGGSJ [Japji Sahib]:

Whilst Nanak gave a spiritual perspective of the door and the residence of AP, Guru Amardas, the third Nanak, gave it a physical dimension in the form of "Harmandir Sahib" [Golden Temple, Amritsar]. For where else could possibly sit Nanak's Waheguru if not at the pool of the ambrosial nectar [dukh bhanjni sarovaar], thought He ? Amardas had researched and concluded that this is the place where Rajni's leper husband was dissolved of his leprosy after having bathed in the holy waters. Hence the reason why Harminder Sahib came to be constructed the way it is today because of the spiritual architecture of Guru Nanak. Guru Ram Das initiated the physical consturction to what was Guru Amardas Ji's theoretical conceptualisation and, of course, final completion was left to Guru Arjan Dev Ji to give it the majestic and divine ambience within which it stands today.

God bless !

very nicely explained ji....a great read.

also very true! :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Dear Ishna

thou art timeless....

God bless !

i was saying something similar to my wife when we visited harimander sahib the other week.
About its design resembling the human body...the body with its water...the shabad resounding within, the Amrit flowing and cleansing the body or its karmic filth...the door to the Guru leading to the heart where waheguru Resides...

Its pretty amazing...she found Harimander Sahib a very peaceful place...lots of positive healing energy...

i told her the next step is to have that same feeling, to experience the same within herself no matter where she is...because Waheguru is right there within her.

Whilst our attention \ Dyaan is 100% experiencing the physical world through the 5 senses, We walk to our Guru over the water leading into the heart \ center of the physical structure...then SGGS Ji, tells us to look within, and we'll find Harimander within us also

This is so captivating....amazing... :)

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
i was saying something similar to my wife when we visited harimander sahib the other week.
About its design resembling the human body...the body with its water...the shabad resounding within, the Amrit flowing and cleansing the body or its karmic filth...the door to the Guru leading to the heart where waheguru Resides...

Its pretty amazing...she found Harimander Sahib a very peaceful place...lots of positive healing energy...

i told her the next step is to have that same feeling, to experience the same within herself no matter where she is...because Waheguru is right there within her.

Whilst our attention \ Dyaan is 100% experiencing the physical world through the 5 senses, We walk to our Guru over the water leading into the heart \ center of the physical structure...then SGGS Ji, tells us to look within, and we'll find Harimander within us also

This is so captivating....amazing... :)
Chaz - without doubt you're beautiful, but, what of your good Lady ? on cloud 9 I bet! for that is the place to be, "hari da mandir" [residence of God], meaning, Harmandir Sahib, center of the Universe. Since the Universe is infinite, stretch it in any direction or compress it to one point - Amritsar.

To try and describe the Holy Shrine of Amritsar would render it journalistic, but to actually walk and soak the serenity within which it stands is a little more than the average "wow" moment. Gur Ghar has spoken many a time of the “moment”. In its compound everything is perfect, fully absorbed in the “moment” of infinity, one finds no creations of the mind, no problems, just awareness and the presence of the holy spirit in the stillness of the mind, whilst outside it, life is.....well, the madding crowd, another day another dollar.

Glad you had a good time. Try visiting Anandpur Sahib aroumd Hola Mahalla, especially en route from Amritsar, you'll see the spirit of the Punjabi people in its full bloom.

Thank you for the wonderful account !

Goodnight & Godbless

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: