• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus If All Paths Are Equal Then Why Was Sikhi Made?

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Sikhism was formed by its founder as a move away from what was the Islamic tyranny, presently replaced by American tyranny, and Hindu idolatry worship and ritualism of false ‘’God’’ instead of concentrating focus upon the spiritual path towards autonomy. Hinduism addressed its prayers to any deity deigning to confer blessing and became too steeped in division caused by the many secular paths created by the many idols and icons of the religion.

Sikhism is a reasoned philosophy and spiritual guide towards strengthening the mind, will and body toward social cohesion and self sufficiency whilst coexisting in harmony with all. It establishes an order and gives due regard to all placed as fate has decreed in the social stratum, according all due respect in their societal contribution and role in the functioning of society and the family.

Indeed all religions when adhered to correctly will enable the adherent to gain understanding of the world through self awareness. Sikhism is a perfect philosophy. Religion and life are liable to make men into minsters when veering away from its wisdom, toward blinkered and hate fuelled contrition.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Sat Shri Akal,

Sikhism is a great religion :shock: no not at all:u):

Exaggerating anything is not good time and again people exaggerate their religion singing its praises i don't understand what do they get in doing so Sikhism is a common religion as common as any other religion full of both good and bad points it has an ability to turn mens violent and blood thirsty like any other religion. well i think i should keep my mouth shut :shutup:eek:ther wise as aman ji has said IL be baned.

~~sainty~~
~~wald Guru Nanak~~
aman ji has said IL be baned

Please quote me when i said this. :)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sat Shri Akal,

Exaggerating anything is not good time and again people exaggerate their religion singing its praises i don't understand what do they get in doing so Sikhism is a common religion as common as any other religion full of both good and bad points it has an ability to turn mens violent and blood thirsty like any other religion. well i think i should keep my mouth shut :shutup:eek:ther wise as aman ji has said IL be baned.

~~sainty~~
~~wald Guru Nanak~~

Saint Soldier ji,

Guru Fateh.

Let us try to have a positive interaction where all of us can learn from each other. Diving in a shallow pool is like looking for self inflicting pains and sufferings and it may also become fatal.

I read your another post under the thread Obama where you were a bit incoherant which made me concerned about your health.

We, the cyber Sadh Sangat are all together to breed goodness in each other so that we can elevate ourselves as better people

This is the only way we can be true to Sikhi which btw is a way of life not a dogmatic religion.

So if you like, you can start a new thread about your inner gripes so all of us can pitch in and help each other.

Tejwant Singh

shearwater

SPNer
Apr 3, 2008
I read much about the Sikh religion comparing what I read in the Guru Granth Sahib with the Christian Bible. I found it interesting that much of the thought expressed was similar to what Jesus taught. If I wasn't convinced that I need to be saved from sin through the incarnation and atonement of Jesus Christ, and I knew about the Sikh religion, I would possibly join.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I read much about the Sikh religion comparing what I read in the Guru Granth Sahib with the Christian Bible. I found it interesting that much of the thought expressed was similar to what Jesus taught. If I wasn't convinced that I need to be saved from sin through the incarnation and atonement of Jesus Christ, and I knew about the Sikh religion, I would possibly join.

Is the Bible Misunderstood by Christians? - Page 3

Originally Posted by carolineislands My brother, who is a mainline conservative Christian pastor once asked me why I didn't attend church services.
www.sikhism.us/interfaith-dialogues/20809-is-the-bible-misunderstood-by-christians-3.html -

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Sat Shri Akal,

~~sainty~~
~~wald Guru Nanak~~

thats a hit below the belt..ss ji....
and you know it....
NO ONE GETS BANNED just for the fun of it..... theres always a real solid reason.
No one is asked to shut up.:roll:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
thats a hit below the belt..ss ji....
and you know it....
NO ONE GETS BANNED just for the fun of it..... theres always a real solid reason.
No one is asked to shut up.:roll:

This is exactly right -- No one is asked to shut up.

We are asked only to abide by simple courtesy of allowing others to express a point of view without having the belief that stands behind their words dismissed, as if it is not important or is somehow deluded.

Worse than criticism is to read your religious faith or values being blown away, or neutralized by saying that the religion is not as important as you think. Or that it is just like another religion and you are just deluding yourself if you disagree. Modern philosophers refer to this sort of argument as placing a concept under erasure -- in this instance, you feel that your religious values vanish through the process of argument itself. With it vanishes its meaning in your life -- which as you read is put under erasure using the sword of pen, keyboard, through the words of another person, who seems offended by "differences." Guru Nanak saw the things that were the same; he also saw the things that were different between and among religions. He was not fearful of differences, but instead intellectually curious and willing to talk about those differences. And he spoke without animosity, and also without apology.

It is not easy to follow his example.

Re: Q & A: If All Paths Are Equal Then Why Was Sikhi Made? Responding to Challenges t

I agree with Anoop jee's comment that in the eyes of God we are all equal.

Sikhism is the most tolerant and loving religion, which gives respect to everyone regardless of gender, ethnicity or beliefs. Unlike other religions Sikhism does not believe that non-believers go to Hell or are eternally dammed. This is pure injustice and there is no surprise why religions have led to massacres, crusades, jihads, terrorism and murder in the Name of God. Rather a Sikh prays at least twice daily for "Sarbat Da Bhallaa", meaning the good and prosperity of all Humanity regardless of religion, belief or faith.

The Sikh motto is: “See God in all, or not all.” If you cant appreciate, love and live with God’s creation and God’s created people then how does one expect the Grace of God?

Through Guru Nanak, and Guru Nanak alone, Sikhs believe one can merge into God in life through living a complete and perfect spiritually balanced way of life immersed in the loving devotion to God and His Creation. The religion and its beliefs are unique. The concept of equality exemplified by Sikhism is not the result of a debate concerning which paths are more (or less) efficient and ultimately productive; equality is not based upon such rational discussions or language games. The Sikhism concept of equality is an inward and outward acceptance of all and seeing everyone as a soul rather than religious labels, which results directly from the practice of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee's (the Sikh’s Sacred Scripture) teachings.

"Whatever religion you are, belong to it, follow it, have faith in god!"

I agree that everyone should have faith in God. However, can you please support the claim that whatever religion you are, belong to it and follow it?

First thing which could come in the mind of someone is - What's the point of Sikhi and the Path of Gurmat if all Guru Nanak Sahib jee wanted us to do was become a good Muslim who follows Quran and Sharia, good Christian who follows Church and Bible etc? Therefore, there is nothing unique or special to Gurmat and Gurmat is equal to all other Paths and ways?

f this were true - then the worrying thing is that we are saying that Guru Sahib is saying if you are Christian - go drink wine, slaughter animals and kill them for your hunger, woman is responsible for sin, as per Paul's writings that woman should be under authority of father, then husband then if husband dies son, there is no emphasis on Naam or Naam Japnaa because "believing" in the Saviour alone is fine.

In terms of Judaism - if it were true that "If you are a ***, obey Jewish tenets and become a good ***. " Then the worrying thing is that as Sikhs we are agreeing to the following things that its okay curse women and say " Thank God that I am not born as a Woman" (which is tenet practiced by Rabbis (Jewish Priests) every morning), that women are impure and therefore not allowed to teach the Tohra (Jewish Scripture) or allowed to lead prayer or even by in the same hall as a man when praying, we are saying that its right for people to mutilate their God given body and practice circumcision?
Vaheguru.

Guru Nanak Sahib jee DID tell the Muslim to become a True Muslim and a Pandit (Scholar) to become a True Pandit (this in Gurbaani). However, Guru Nanak Sahib jee REDEFINED what a TRUE Muslim is, what a TRUE Pandit is, what a TRUE Yogi is, what a TRUE Sidhi is etc. For the Guru - a true Yogi, true Muslim, true Pandit, true ascetic, true Brahman is a GURMUKH - one lives the teachings Guru Nanak Sahib jee and follows the religion of GURMAT NAAM. For example Guru Nanak Sahib jee tells the Muslim to read Namaaz (prayers) however Guru Sahib REDEFINES Namaaz and tells the Muslim what the TRUE Namaaz is ( i.e. the life of a Gurmukh) - you can read the shabad here:
SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Daas,
Manvir Singh

Khalsa ji thank you for this beautiful insight.:happy::happy:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Guru Nanak Sahib jee DID tell the Muslim to become a True Muslim and a Pandit (Scholar) to become a True Pandit (this in Gurbaani). However, Guru Nanak Sahib jee REDEFINED what a TRUE Muslim is, what a TRUE Pandit is, what a TRUE Yogi is, what a TRUE Sidhi is etc. For the Guru - a true Yogi, true Muslim, true Pandit, true ascetic, true Brahman is a Gurmukh - one lives the teachings Guru Nanak Sahib jee and follows the religion of GURMAT NAAM. For example Guru Nanak Sahib jee tells the Muslim to read Namaaz (prayers) however Guru Sahib REDEFINES Namaaz and tells the Muslim what the TRUE Namaaz is ( i.e. the life of a Gurmukh) - you can read the shabad here:

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Daas,
Manvir Singh

Manvir Singh ji
A good look at Sikhism; however, you are also missing what Guru ji was up to in context of other religions. No religion or sect bothered Guru Nanak as long it was a way out to unite with the Lord; however, wherever he found hypocrisy and exploitation of the people in the name of a religion or a sect, he criticized that in forceful words, none was spared in this case. What he said in context of exploitation of other religions and sects is very well applicable to Sikhism too. As long as Sikh remains on a path to be hopeful of Lord’s grace to be united with the Lord while battling within to over come the negative forces and live in His love, he/she remains a Sikh otherwise a label of any religion is not really attractive in Guru ji’s views. He goes further in explaining the purpose of the life in very crystal clear words that is to unite with our origin- the Lord. If that thing is missing, there is no religion but shops of exploitations of the souls with a badge of power to grind their own Axe:).

Guru Nanak Sahib jee DID tell the Muslim to become a True Muslim and a Pandit (Scholar) to become a True Pandit (this in Gurbaani). However, Guru Nanak Sahib jee REDEFINED what a TRUE Muslim is, what a TRUE Pandit is, what a TRUE Yogi is, what a TRUE Sidhi is etc. For the Guru - a true Yogi, true Muslim, true Pandit, true ascetic, true Brahman is a Gurmukh - one lives the teachings Guru Nanak Sahib jee and follows the religion of GURMAT NAAM. For example Guru Nanak Sahib jee tells the Muslim to read Namaaz (prayers) however Guru Sahib REDEFINES Namaaz and tells the Muslim what the TRUE Namaaz is ( i.e. the life of a Gurmukh) - you can read the shabad here:

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Daas,
Manvir Singh

Manvir Singh ji
A good look at Sikhism; however, you are also missing what Guru ji was up to in context of other religions. No religion or sect bothered Guru Nanak as long it was a way out to unite with the Lord; however, wherever he found hypocrisy and exploitation of the people in the name of a religion or a sect, he criticized that in forceful words, none was spared in this case. What he said in context of exploitation of other religions and sects is very well applicable to Sikhism too. As long as Sikh remains on a path to be hopeful of Lord’s grace to be united with the Lord while battling within to over come the negative forces and live in His love, he/she remains a Sikh otherwise a label of any religion is not really attractive in Guru ji’s views. He goes further in explaining the purpose of the life in very crystal clear words that is to unite with our origin- the Lord. If that thing is missing, there is no religion but shops of exploitations of the souls with a badge of power to grind their own Axe:).

Nicely said PK 70 ji, I agree word for word here.:happy:

NavjeetSingh

SPNer
Jan 1, 2009
Chandigarh
Kaur 1 Ji

I have got two ways to respond to your question. First one is little difficult but more satisfying and second is little easier.

1. Select two or three topics (varied topics) and search on those topics what does Quran says about it? What does Bible says about it? What does Gita or Ramayana says about it? and also What does Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says about it?
Also find out how these holy books came into existence. You will be able to distinguish Sikhism from all these religions.

2. Now coming to the easier solution. Make people of different religions your friends ( I hope you would already have some) and ask them about their religion, also look (take care I never said 'follow') at their lifestyle. you will notice a lot of instability and formalities ( I do notice) and then compare a Sikhs life. You will yourself come out with the answer.

Whatever way you take -Don't forget to post your answer here. It will be a great help for others.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM