• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Want To Eat Meat But Not The Karmic Debt That Comes With It

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I am not a fan of meat.
Since childhood, I have had an aversion towards anything non-vegetarian ! despite recommendations from my pediatrician , my mom felt if I don't like it, I shouldn't be forced to .
I started eating eggs a while ago , only after I was told poultry eggs are unfertilized and not meat technically , per se !
I have tasted chicken and goat meat, both taste horrible to me !

Nothing beats a properly "tadke-daar" maa di daal !

But considering I was deficient in nutrition , I am just 5'5" and quite skinny (muscle-wise) , so my dad brought me clams (oysters) . My dad boiled them while I was away, but my mom told me they were doing some 'gudd-gudd' sound as if struggling.
You know oysters, theres a small feeble animal inside them ! Dad said they first have to be boiled alive , then only they can be opened .

Boiling an animal alive makes me guilt-ridden . I feel I am doing a sin for which I will have to pay !
Something inside me hesitates and forces me to think twice before I swallow that iron-rich , nutrient-enriched piece of meat .

But , I wonder , am I hypocrite if I eat vegetarian food in which some meat substitute might have been used .
Where do we draw the line of veg vs non-veg ?

I drink milk , so is it 'paap' as well ? some poor bufallo being milked daily for me .

I am just scared of how my current karma might be shaping my future.

what do you feel about this whole veg vs meat thing

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
25 Foods That Seem Vegetarian But Aren’t

20 Everyday Items that Contain Animal Ingredients - RooGirl

it all depends how guilty you wish to make yourself feel, its upto the individual, by all means follow some sort of ethical life, but that is down to you and your ethics, not god, in my view.Listen to yourself, be guided by yourself, listen to the inner voice, the good one, the one that sounds like your dad, at least mine does. Some call it the inner god, and I do believe it is recognised in Sikhism, however I may be proven wrong.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
what do you feel about this whole veg vs meat thing
..this is your typical means and ends ethical dilemma with moralising objectives, that is, "do the ends justify the means?" In a simple straight forward scenario where the ends are good n noble, and the means employed to achieve them are good n noble, then no problem. But where the ends are good n noble [as in your case, i.e.eating meat will produce good health] and the means employed to achieve them are not [killing for consumption], then there is a case to answer.

Given animals have neurological substrates that generates conscious states, can the taking of their life be morally justified ? Jury is still out - your call !

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: