• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Got My Patka! (pics)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
i get mine from GoSikh.com HomePage, it's just the right weight. :D
I got my patka from SikhLink - it is only single stitched, and the patka itself is 19x22, with strings (only size available). I'm going to use GoSikh,.com - faster shipping for sure, less S&H, and lower price, plus choices in size, and things are DOUBLE stitched.

(and they have a great color choice!)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
don't go too crazy with the patkas veer ji... i really think you should tie a full turban with your beard, it will look very handsome. :)
Sat sri akal Kaur-ji,

I wish i could even begin to tie a turban, but for me, it is a bit hard - i get half way there and it already looks pretty "bad", so i'm taking it slow with Patka.

Turban is just, alot for me to handle right now.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Sat sri akal Kaur-ji,

I wish i could even begin to tie a turban, but for me, it is a bit hard - i get half way there and it already looks pretty "bad", so i'm taking it slow with Patka.

Start by trying to wrap the cloth around your head (in no special way) neatly. Then when you get the hang of it you can try turban styles. Hehe a patka wont help you tie a dhumalla.

Apr 4, 2007
Sat sri akal Kaur-ji,

that's cool, just don't get frustrated. you can start with a small turban, an easy style, then move on to something more complicated later. :) i got frustrated the first few times i tied my dastaar, it took me a while to get to where i could tie it right all the time...

my fiance says he'll teach you to tie a "parna" or choti dastaar (small turban) via video conference if you like, send me a message if you're interested. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
that's cool, just don't get frustrated. you can start with a small turban, an easy style, then move on to something more complicated later. :) i got frustrated the first few times i tied my dastaar, it took me a while to get to where i could tie it right all the time...

my fiance says he'll teach you to tie a "parna" or choti dastaar (small turban) via video conference if you like, send me a message if you're interested. :)
I will think about it, Arvind-ji has already offered help.. We will see, i am quite content with patka right now, i am still in High School...

deepsingh87

SPNer
Jun 3, 2007
I will think about it, Arvind-ji has already offered help.. We will see, i am quite content with patka right now, i am still in High School...

you must face lot of problems in high school. Or people might just think you are playing a piratical joke.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
you must face lot of problems in high school. Or people might just think you are playing a piratical joke.
Eh, i dont wear patka to school.. i will my senior year (next year).

EDIT: I want to wear it to school, but i would face the "practical joke" thing you mentioned.

Apr 4, 2007
Eh, i dont wear patka to school.. i will my senior year (next year).

EDIT: I want to wear it to school, but i would face the "practical joke" thing you mentioned.

what area of the US do you live in, if you don't mind my asking... are there many sikhs in your area? i didn't think about the school thing. i was surprised at how cool people are about my dastaar in Texas... i thought i'd get more weird looks and comments, but people are actually interested in learning more about why i wear it... "looking like a sikh" is a great way to teach people about the faith. :)

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
what area of the US do you live in, if you don't mind my asking... are there many sikhs in your area? i didn't think about the school thing. i was surprised at how cool people are about my dastaar in Texas... i thought i'd get more weird looks and comments, but people are actually interested in learning more about why i wear it... "looking like a sikh" is a great way to teach people about the faith. :)
I agree, but Ama-ji is not letting me wear patka to school until my senior year....

So..

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)
Keep up the good spirit Sherab...ur'e goin just fine !!

"As is the crown to a sovereign, so is a Turban to a Sikh."

And 'hats off' to all members who are motivating and being so helpful to you !!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM