• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Am Sort Of New To Sikhism

Nov 23, 2010
They have this program where they prepare food at the Gurdwara and then go out into the poor parts of downtown and give it to the homeless/poor people, and it is something I really badly want to get invovled in. But to do that, I actually have to go there and talk to them!

Franglophonepunjabi ji,
You answered your own question.
My wife and I are new to this as well. We started going to a Gurdwara without really knowing anyone. After a while people started to warm up. Almost two years ago we stated learning Gurbani Kirtan. One Sunday we arrived before services stared. I asked an older gentleman if we could practice with their tablas and harmoium he said yes. We practiced a little then we moved to back and services started. After a few people sang the gentleman asked if we wanted to sing. Feeling (over) confident I said yes. My wife didn't want to but I figured what the heck, now or never. I sat down in front of the tablas and promptly forgot everything we had practiced. Nothng .Complete blank. My wife started to play and I just sort of banged on the tablas. After what seemed like hours( 30 seconds I imagine) I started to relax, got over the stagefright and the rythm returned to my hands. We finished the shabad and moved to back of the Gurdwara. I need airr desperately so I told my wife we should go outside for a minute. We went outside and three people followed us out saying " Don't go!!! It was fine!!!. We were really terrible but the show of support was wonderful.
We didn't get discouarged and have kept practicing. We parctice almost everday and sing whenever we get the chance. I regard it as my form of meditation. We were even asked to sing when the new Indian Ambassador to Mexico came to the Gurdwara.
You are never to old to start either :faujasingh:I'm 53 and my wife's 40. We haven't ever been muscially inclined until now. It's a matter of inspiration I guess.
Remember too, No one is born a Sikh. You have to become one.
Chardi kala

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Franglophone ji,

You have several times talked about being stupid and asking stupid questions. You are not stupid. :motherlylove: Think about this:

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime: the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough For Love

You are not stupid. You lack information and are rectifying the situation. That shows intelligence. Not knowing is simple ignorance, easily cured. The cure for ignorance is knowledge. The cure for stupidity is death.

BTW, people who use "You are ignorant" as an insult are wrong and probably stupid. We are all ignorant on some topics, knowledgeable in others. :kaurkhalsaflagred:

Last edited:

salempaiyan

SPNer
Apr 29, 2012
Naam japo means Duing SIMRan of Gods Name, living a Honest life ,Self earning, do community seva, etc., is way of sikh life, that is always live in Gods goodwill.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM