• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Am Just A Baby!

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Malaar on Pannaa 1266

mlwr mhlw 5 ]
KIr ADwir bwirku jb hoqw ibnu KIrY rhnu n jweI ]
swir sm@wil mwqw muiK nIrY qb Ehu iqRpiq AGweI ]1]
hm bwirk ipqw pRBu dwqw ]
BUlih bwirk Aink lK brIAw An Taur nwhI jh jwqw ]1] rhwau ]
cMcl miq bwirk bpury kI srp Agin kr mylY ]
mwqw ipqw kMiT lwie rwKY And shij qb KylY ]2]
ijs kw ipqw qU hY myry suAwmI iqsu bwirk BUK kYsI ]
nv iniD nwmu inDwnu igRih qyrY min bWCY so lYsI ]3]
ipqw ik®pwil AwigAw ieh dInI bwirku muiK mWgY so dynw ]
nwnk bwirku drsu pRB cwhY moih ihRdY bsih inq crnw ]4]2]

malaar mehalaa 5 ||
kheer adhhaar baarik jab hothaa bin kheerai rehan n jaaee ||
saar samhaal maathaa mukh neerai thab ouhu thripath aghaaee ||1||
ham baarik pithaa prabh dhaathaa ||
bhoolehi baarik anik lakh bareeaa an t(h)our naahee jeh jaathaa ||1|| rehaao ||
cha(n)chal math baarik bapurae kee sarap agan kar maelai ||
maathaa pithaa ka(n)t(h) laae raakhai anadh sehaj thab khaelai ||2||
jis kaa pithaa thoo hai maerae suaamee this baarik bhookh kaisee ||
nav nidhh naam nidhhaan grihi thaerai man baa(n)shhai so laisee ||3||
pithaa kirapaal aagiaa eih dheenee baarik mukh maa(n)gai so dhaenaa ||
naanak baarik dharas prabh chaahai mohi hridhai basehi nith charanaa ||4||2||

Malaar, Fifth Mehla:
When the baby's only food is milk, it cannot survive without its milk.
The mother takes care of it, and pours milk into its mouth; then, it is satisfied and fulfilled. ||1||
I am just a baby; God, the Great Giver, is my Father.
The child is so foolish; it makes so many mistakes. But it has nowhere else to go. ||1||Pause||
The mind of the poor child is fickle; he touches even snakes and fire.
His mother and father hug him close in their embrace, and so he plays in joy and bliss. ||2||
What hunger can the child ever have, O my Lord and Master, when You are his Father?
The treasure of the Naam and the nine treasures are in Your celestial household. You fulfill the desires of the mind. ||3||
My Merciful Father has issued this Command: whatever the child asks for, is put into his mouth.
Nanak, the child, longs for the Blessed Vision of God's Darshan. May His Feet always dwell within my heart. ||4||2||

SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

imksabharwal

SPNer
Aug 30, 2005
Re: I am just a baby !

Sat Sri Akal and my deep respects to the Moderator of the group and all brothers and sisters.
am posting here for the first time,though i was reading many articles with great interest long back.i am from India.

i happend to read a nice article explaining nav nidh.

sharing some excerpts..

ਨਉਨਿਧਿ (Nau-nidh), translating to mean ‘nine treasures of wealth’. This term is mentioned in the Ardaas ( recited daily by Sikhs) and in Gurbaani. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the Tenth Guru, writes the first part of Ardaas. Guru Ji ends this verse by writing:

ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਸਿਮਰਿਐ, ਘਰ ਨਉਨਿਧਿ ਆਵੈ ਧਾਇ॥ ਸਬ ਥਾਈਂ ਹੋਇ ਸਹਾਇ॥
"Remember and meditate upon (Guru) Teg Bahadur; and then nine sources of wealth will come hastening to your home. (O Respected Gurus!) kindly help us everywhere."

‘Nau Nidh’ appears in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 39 times.

According to Indian thought traditionally Nau Nidheeaa(n) or Nine treasures are described as the following:

1. ‘Padam’ – gold, silver, and the like

2. ‘Mahaan Padam’ – gems, jewels etc

3. ‘Sankh’ – delicious things to eat

4. ‘Makar’ – training in the use of arms

5. ‘Kachhap’ – clothes, corn and the like

6. ‘Kund’ – dealings in gold

7. ‘Neel’ – trading in gems and jewels

8. ‘Mukand’ – mastery of the fine arts

9. ‘Kharab’ or ‘Warch’ – riches of all kinds

In the context of Gurbaani the Nau-Nidh or nine sources of wealth are related to ‘Naam’ (the Lord’s Name).
ਮੈ ਛਡਿਆ ਸਭੋ ਧੰਧੜਾ ॥ ਗੋਸਾਈ ਸੇਵੀ ਸਚੜਾ ॥ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਮੈ ਪਲੈ ਬਧਾ ਛਿਕਿ ਜੀਉ ॥8॥ ਮੈ ਸੁਖੀ ਹੂੰ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਗੁਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਪੁਰਖਿ ਵਿਖਾਲਿਆ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਧਰਿ ਕੈ ਹਥੁ ਜੀਉ ॥9॥
"I have forsaken all my entanglements; I serve the True Lord of the Universe. I have firmly attached the Name, the Home of the Nine Treasures to my robe. ||8|| I have obtained the comfort of comforts. The Guru has implanted the Word of the Shabad deep within me. The True Guru has shown me my Husband Lord Vaheguru; He has placed His Hand upon my forehead. ||9||" (Ang 73, SGGS)

ਸਚੇ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥5॥
Serving the True One, they find a lasting peace; they enshrine the nine treasures of the Naam within their minds. ||5||" (Ang 115, SGGS)

"It is clear from reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that the Nine treasures or Nine sources of wealth mentioned in the Ardaas in fact refers to the ਨਾਮ ਰੂਪ ਦੌਲਤ, the wealth of Naam rather than being concerned with the Nine things which are believed to be treasures and sources of wealth."

with deep regards
imksabharwal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM